Brendon Ayanbadejo | Chris Kluwe | Emmett C Burns | Football (American) | Gay Marriage | GQ | News | Sports

GQ Names Chris Kluwe and Brendon Ayanbadejo 'Honorary Gays of the Year'

Honorary-gays

The Vikings punter and the Ravens linebacker offer GQ a joint interview about gay players in the NFL and the moment this year when Maryland lawmaker Emmett C. Burns came after Ayanbadejo's gay rights advocacy and got tackled by Kluwe:

Ayanbadejo: I was in the locker room when I heard about Chris's letter. I saw a line from it in a tweet: "They won't magically turn you into a lustful cockmonster." I was like, "Oh, my God, I need to focus all my attention on this. I'm going to lock myself in a room, and I'm gonna enjoy every moment." Over the next few days, I had conversations with five to ten of the [Ravens players] about what had happened. I asked them if they could play with a gay player. Everybody was like, "Yeah, I totally could." So that was pretty impressive. It shouldn't be impressive, but it was.

Kluwe: The first player to come out is going to face unprecedented media scrutiny. It'll be historic. It's gonna have to be someone tough enough to deal with the distractions. And hopefully he'll know that not just me and Brendon but other players support him.

Comments

1. Nice. All I have to say...

Posted by: Butch | Dec 5, 2012 1:03:34 PM

2. I'm very happy to see this, both these guys are great allies.

Posted by: antb | Dec 5, 2012 1:12:33 PM

3. These guys both have entertaining Twitter feeds. Kluwe (freakishly intellectual Minnesota Vikings punter, loves scifi and fantasy gaming): @ChrisWarcraft, and Ayanbadejo (freakishly ripped hunk linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens): @brendon310. Both are married with kids, Kluwe plays bass in a rock band and sometimes tweets while drunk, while Ayanbadejo is more open with photos from his personal life (and his physique). Both are lovable freaks and both regularly dispatch trolls in extremely amusing ways.

Posted by: SC David | Dec 5, 2012 1:14:13 PM

4. How can a closeted magazine like GQ name someone an honorary gay?

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 5, 2012 1:20:49 PM

5. @jack M....I was wondering the same thing. They tried soooo desperately to get away from their gay following 10 or 15 years ago. Have they, like the GOP, started to realize that distancing themselves from us is pointless?

Posted by: woodroad34 | Dec 5, 2012 1:54:20 PM

6. I haven't done anything with GQ for well over two decades except to enjoy certain covers (I wonder why). Is this an annual feature? If this is the first annual, they've made a great start. I'm glad they picked decent pictures of these two. I absolutely adore Kluwe. I'd love to hang with him, except I'm a virgin role play gamer. (long sigh)

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 5, 2012 2:11:48 PM

7. Give me a break with GQ and other mags. They might want to pretend they're not basically gay magazine, which is pathetic, but at least their advertisers don't pretend.

Posted by: Michael | Dec 5, 2012 2:40:45 PM

8. GQ and other "mainstream" magazines are still homophobic and only interested straight men. Unfortunately they do not realize that men are composed of BOTH gay and straight. Maxim is another pure joke of men's magazine.

Posted by: RK | Dec 5, 2012 2:53:06 PM

9. And yet, the quintessential MEN'S magazine,

Playboy, features articles about the gay existence regularly, and not sarcastically or venomously.

Posted by: Goodcarver | Dec 5, 2012 3:45:38 PM

10. "Ayanbadejo: Eventually it's gonna happen. This is the natural evolution. I call it the Jackie Robinson player—the guy who's going to cross the line and come out and be our Jackie Robinson."

"Our" Jackie Robinson?

Stereotypical I guess, but until someone above said Ayanbedejo was married with kids (not that that proves anything) I wondered if he might not play for "our team" if you know what I mean. Mostly because of those ruthlessly plucked eyebrows

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 5, 2012 6:41:58 PM

11. Two great straight allies!

Posted by: andrew | Dec 5, 2012 9:23:58 PM

12. We are so lucky to have two intelligent and decent human beings on our side. I hope they continue to speak out for us because their interviews are helping to push change by showing people change is nothing to be scared of !

I hope HRC gives these two incredible people some kind of award.

Posted by: Icebloo | Dec 6, 2012 1:10:03 AM

13. LOVE these guys. I send them thank you tweets on a regular basis...and you should too!

They get so much crap from religious crazies on their twitter, the least we could do as a community is thank them

Posted by: Greg Cali | Dec 6, 2012 2:06:54 AM

14. These two, especially Kluwe, have helped me introduce straight women who detested aports into some appreciation that there may be some worth in it.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 6, 2012 10:14:54 AM

15. These two guys are great, but an "honorary gay" award from GQ is pure foolishness.

Posted by: Isaiah | Dec 6, 2012 10:39:27 AM

16. Yes, and it would be somewhat better if all that honarary part of it was gone.

US GQ has been a homophobic magazine since its Art Cooper days, and has never changed, though is sometimes pretends to be, especially since Jim Nelson is said to be gay.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Dec 7, 2012 5:14:25 PM

17. They both look like fags.

Posted by: chris | Jan 5, 2013 11:01:08 PM