Antonin Scalia | News | Supreme Court

Gay Student Who Confronted Justice Scalia Speaks Out: VIDEO

Hosie

Princeton University Student Duncan Hosie '16, who confronted Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia about why he equates laws banning sodomy with those barring man-on-animal sex and murder, appeared on MSNBC's The Last Word on Tuesday night to talk about the confrontation and what he thought of Scalia's response

Hosie said he was nervous about asking the question:

"I wanted to ask him are those things really necessary to make his point...he didn't really address that question....I thought the response in the room was excellent...I think he was polite and cordial in how he responded. I don't think his response was accurate...I think his response was absurd in many aspects."

Professor Jonathan Turley also appeared on the segment, calling Scalia's commentary "troubling" considering the cases before the court.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. I'm glad the professor also spoke up about Scalia's lack of professionalism and judicial propriety. He's a thug who wasted good money to go to law school. What a black spot on the SCOTUS.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Dec 12, 2012 8:27:08 AM

2. Duncan Hosie, please marry me!

Posted by: belo | Dec 12, 2012 8:36:11 AM

3. Shouldn't an openly bigoted person like this be forced to recuse himself from cases like gay marriage? Can he be trusted to be impartial? (I'm legitimately asking that)

Posted by: MT | Dec 12, 2012 8:51:16 AM

4. Scalia would rather swallow poison than recuse himself.

He's about as "impartial" as Ayn Rand

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 12, 2012 9:12:55 AM

5. @ MT He's actually openly admitted that he can't be impartial and has said that he cannot seperate his personal beliefs from his own "judgement". This is what the controversy is over because he's not supposed to give rulings on his beliefs, he's supposed to uphold the constituition, but even there, he says it is an unchanging dead document. Even considering that statement we can see what kind of person we are dealing with when they say the constituition is a dead document. Last I checked, we've added some changs called amendments since it was released.

I'm young, and haven't watched Scalia for long, but the guy seems like a head in the sand to me, sticking to what he wants to see/hear and has been known to make statements like this.

Posted by: Cocoa | Dec 12, 2012 9:13:57 AM

6. It's too bad, because Scalia is a very smart man. He's just way, way too into himself. If you're completely predictable as a judge, you probably aren't being particularly thoughtful.

Posted by: Yeek | Dec 12, 2012 9:30:16 AM

7. Scalia's comments weren't a big surprise. Everyone knows how all the justices are going to vote save Roberts and Kennedy. I wish they wouldn't drag it out so long.

Posted by: Erik | Dec 12, 2012 9:33:56 AM

8. interesting that Turley said that any other Chief Justice would call him in and tell him to toe the line.

more proof that Roberts lost control of his court long ago...

Posted by: mike/ | Dec 12, 2012 10:30:39 AM

9. Duncan is a very intelligent young man.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 12, 2012 10:33:45 AM

10. I'm curious to see how Scalia gets around the "equal protections of the law" he cites in his own dissent to Lawrence when it comes time to decide the Windsor case. How anyone with a straight face (pun intended) can say that Edie Windsor was treated equally to her hetero counterparts when her partner died is beyond me. The resulting logic pretzel Scalia will have to tie himself into in a vain attempt to uphold DOMA should be entertaining.

Posted by: plinx | Dec 12, 2012 10:44:02 AM

11. I'd like to offer Duncan a second marriage proposal . . . :)

Posted by: Daniel | Dec 12, 2012 11:43:53 AM

12. I think Ellen should have Duncan Hosie on her show.

Posted by: Oliver | Dec 12, 2012 11:54:38 AM

13. Scalia is wrong and out of line. That's the truth and these three bright, articulate people - Duncan, the professor and the commentator - did a superior job of showing just how idiotic and prejudiced a man Scalia continues to show himself to be. He has in fact made a fool of himself and a freshman from Princeton has smoked him out, more evidence yet that the world belongs to the young who are next in line to make it better.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 12, 2012 11:55:56 AM

14. Somebody's making teenagers a whole lot smarter than I remember. Working the numbers, looks like we have about 35 years until Mr. Hosie has finished law school and gotten enough experience as an attorney and judge to be nominated for the seat once held by Justice Scalia. I'd feel a whole lot safer with Duncan in charge.

Posted by: SC David | Dec 12, 2012 12:52:24 PM

15. It was a very shameful moment for Scalia. A bright young person asked him a very specific, and damn valid, question. Clearly one that Scalia himself knows he cannot answer and look in any way intelligent or dignified. So he behaved like a flippant prig.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 12, 2012 1:02:52 PM

16. Duncan Hosie is a very impressive young man. So intelligent and articulate. I am so happy he asked the question he did, and equally happy that the absurd Scalia took the opportunity to expose the bankruptcy of his position.

Posted by: Jay | Dec 12, 2012 1:07:40 PM

17. Scalia should be impeached.

Posted by: dcinsider | Dec 12, 2012 1:49:49 PM

18. Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony". Well, as a textualist, it seems pretty clear to me what Scalia should do. But...if he can't do it himself, he can always give me a call.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Dec 12, 2012 2:09:13 PM

19. I can see a legal argument for how some Justices might not agree with a constitutional right to same sex marriage. Not saying I agree with it, but I could see why some justices would vote that way.

But I cannot see how any justice on any part of the political spectrum could not strike down DOMA. How could they not see that the federal government acknowledging some legal marriages and not others violates the Equal Protection Clause? And conservatives should at least see an infringement of the 10th Amendment and the whole states' rights argument. I cannot craft a sound legal argument in favor of upholding DOMA.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Dec 12, 2012 2:13:38 PM

20. 1 - In the Lawrence case Scalia insists the the entire U.S. Law community has fallen under the sway of the "the homosexual agenda". Implicitly this means he alone gets it and tens of thousands of others don't.

2 - The irony is that in a court of law what differentiates a hopeless sociopath from someone who may be "rehabilitated" is their capacity to express some form of empathy, contrition, regret or doubt, etc. Clearly Mr Scalia stands on the side of the sociopaths in his rigid stance.

Posted by: gregolio | Dec 12, 2012 2:15:33 PM

21. the purpose of the supreme court is not to protect the country from some "agenda," it is to rule on if laws are conistent with current laws and rulings including the US constitution of which DOMA blatantly violates. You don't need to be a law expert to get that, but apparently you have to be one to come up with whatever convoluted logic that allows one to say otherwise.

This guy should be relieved of his position

Posted by: MaddM@ | Dec 12, 2012 3:46:41 PM

22. Charlie Rose recently did a full hour with this hog...it was enlightening. It became evident early on that Scalia was so full of himself, he could hardly wipe the smugness off his face. That's our supreme court's finest? Something is wrong with the man...that's very clear. If he keeps doing the talk show/book pimping gig...he'll talk himself into a nice big hole. Isn't that what so many arrogant, self-righteous types do to themselves?

Posted by: PAUL B. | Dec 12, 2012 4:02:28 PM

23. PAUL B. - never saw "this hog" used more accurately.
    He will die bacon for worms.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 12, 2012 4:22:16 PM

24. Thanks PaulB hope you don't mind if I paraphrase you and spread it all over.

Posted by: John Normile | Dec 12, 2012 6:27:16 PM

25. Where exactly does Scalia's reputation as being "very smart" come from? I've never seen evidence of it. If he is above average IQ, his narcissistic lunacy has prevented him from acting upon it.

Posted by: Lise | Dec 12, 2012 7:40:36 PM