BigGayDeal.com

NASA Says World Not Ending On 12/21/12: VIDEO

NASAMayan

AFTER THE JUMP, the science team and outside experts explain why you'll live to see 12/22/12. (Unless that's just what they want you to think...)

Comments

1. Damn! And I had my hopes up.

Posted by: jomicur | Dec 13, 2012 11:36:20 AM

2. "Despite what the Mayan calendar may seem to say or doomsayers claim, NASA remains 100% confident that the world will not end on December 21, 2012."

Is that a good thing? There are very good reasons to hope the Mayans will be proved right. The beautiful Earth is quickly being destroyed and made unliveable by our species, so it might be better to just go ahead and get it over with.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 13, 2012 11:40:56 AM

3. @Rick Why hope for some unlikely prediction? Why don't we get to work obliterating the planet? We could reposition the trajectories of asteroids. Or we could empty nuclear stockpiles by firing them all over the place.

Posted by: Kyle | Dec 13, 2012 12:07:03 PM

4. One more time. None of us Indians are worried about it. It's because we understand metaphysical terms better than non-Indians. In this case, "end of the world" merely means the end of the long count. It's like the "end of an age."

When you see the Mayan Indians disappearing or the rest of us Indians disappearing, you should be worried. Until then, note our nonchalance and take it as something you can't take literally.

Posted by: Miche Rutledge | Dec 13, 2012 2:45:21 PM

5. I'll be terribly disappointed if the world doesn't end given all the hype. Another case of high expectations dashed. At least Sandy lived up to the hype. Hopefully the media learned its lesson about "storms of the century".

Posted by: anon | Dec 13, 2012 3:16:56 PM

6. That image is Aztec, not Mayan

Posted by: 3r | Dec 13, 2012 3:55:30 PM

7. Decreasing the Earth's population by about 83% would suit me fine. I spent a lot of money on crossbow lessons, too.

Posted by: Bollux | Dec 13, 2012 4:15:29 PM

8. If the Mayans are better than NASA, I can quit Christmas shopping, at least.

Posted by: Jerry | Dec 13, 2012 6:14:23 PM

9. It's not the 21st yet!

Posted by: Allan | Dec 13, 2012 7:36:34 PM

10. I need to use my massage envy credits before 12/21/12....don't want to feel cheated

Posted by: Dan | Dec 13, 2012 7:38:41 PM

11. Gosh, and after I already quit my job and burned all my bridges?! I mean after Y2K turned out to be nothing, Jesus didn't even WAVE at us for the new Millenium, the Hale-Bopp comet passed without a peep (after I'd bought Nike Decades shoes for it and everything!) and not one but TWO Guaranteed Rapture prophecies by the Right Reverend Fuckwit didn't come to pass, I thought for SURE this would be the real deal!

I just can't tell you how surprised I am!

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 13, 2012 8:04:57 PM

12. @Caliban: Y2K is a bad example - it turned out to be a nonevent because people took it seriously. The people who had to take it seriously were those responsible for testing and fixing bugs, and of course authorizing or assigning people to do that.

One of the problems (you can find this in some computer science publications) was to publicize the problem to the point where management took it seriously so that people would be assigned to fixing the problem before the deadline, but without scaring the public. It's hard to do well, as all it takes to scare the public is a few "conspiracy theorists" on a roll. and they are actively looking for the next thing to hype.

Quite a few companies decided to fix the problem by upgrading, which meant a lot of customers for companies selling Unix servers (for example) and relational database systems.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 13, 2012 11:01:59 PM