Newt Gingrich Accepts ‘Reality’ Of Marriage Equality

GingrichGayReality

Though Newt Gingrich says he and his Republican Party have to come to terms with the "reality" of marriage equality, he doesn't seem too gung-ho about the prospect.

"The momentum is clearly now in the direction in finding some way to …
accommodate and deal with reality," he told The Huffington Post. "And the reality is going to be that
in a number of American states — and it will be more after 2014 — gay
relationships will be legal, period."

As for how such a reality would look, Gingrich says the GOP would prefer a legal distinction between church and secular weddings. But the former House Speaker also said that ironing out tensions over LGBT equality "will be much more difficult than immigration for conservatism to come to grips with."

Gingrich was also asked about his role in passing the Defense of Marriage Act 1996, and told reporters Sam Stein and Jon Ward he and his colleagues back then never imagined the "wave" of support marriage equality would gather over the next sixteen years.

"I didn't think [gay marriage] was inevitable 10 or 15 years ago, when we passed
the Defense of Marriage Act," he said. "It didn't seem at the time to be
anything like as big a wave of change as we are now seeing."

In response to Gingrich's comment, Chad Griffin, the president of Human Rights Campaign, the organization for which Gingrich's out half-sister Candace works, told BuzzFeed, "Gingrich has proven that leaders in the Republican party understand
where the country is moving on marriage but he is also brave enough to
say it out loud."

Stein and Ward of course asked Gingrich about the most recent election and the failed presidential candidate claimed that he would have done better against President Obama than the GOP's ultimate choice, Mitt Romney.

"I would have probably done better," he mused. "I don't want to be arrogant and say I
would have done better. I would say my impression is
that, from the Obama team's standpoint, the two candidates they found
the hardest to cope with were Perry and me."

Wait, wasn't this conversation about reality?

Comments

1. says

well, it will be difficult for “conservatism to come to grips with it” because so far their opposition is built entirely out of baseless, indefensible rhetoric and prejudice.

they have to come to grips with the sheer fact that they’re empirically wrong and cannot possibly defend their stance intelligently.

that’s a massively difficult feat for those whose sense of self depends entirely on believing the lies they tell themselves.

2. kit says

How many times has this supporter of the Defense of Marriage Act been married? Is it two or three? And how many of his divorces were motivated by his infidelity? Just checking…

3. leroy LafLeroy Laflamme says

He says,”I don’t want to be arrogant …” & my my morning coffee spurts from both nostrils! Btw, I don’t believe I’ve ever actually read the Defence of Marriage Act & I’m curious to know – is the right to divorce enshrined in the Act?

4. leroy LafLeroy Laflamme says

5. MaddM@ says

I’m glad Gingirch has decided to stop dfending marriage so heavily, mainly seeing as he is one of the people that was actively dragging down the institution by deciding to not honor his wedding vows wherever he saw fit

Marriage equality shoudn’t be hard for conservatism to com around to because having the government enact laws to enforce everyone in th county to adhere to a segment of society’s moral code is NOT CONSERVATIVE.

6. Bill says

@kit: Newt’s in a tough spot. He’s had to oppose marriage equality not only to appeal to the “family values” nuts, but because without some external “threat” to point to, they might look at the family values Newt’s displayed regarding his spouses.

With their main hot-button issue going down the tubes, they are desperate to find something else that will appeal to their customers.

7. anon says

NG has serious problems with “reality”, “truth”, “marriage”, “modesty” and just about any virtue you could name, so whatever he’s accepting, it ain’t one of those things. Maybe he’s just accepting that this isn’t a political winner any more. That’s probably the extent of his thinking on any matter. And, of course, DOMA was passed precisely to pander to states that were worried gay rights would pass in Hawai’i and other “blue” states.

8. CPT_Doom says

“Gingrich says the GOP would prefer a legal distinction between church and secular weddings”

Apparently Newt has some severe memory problems, as his current “marriage” was not in a church until his “wife” – the woman whom he paid for 6 years to provide him with sexual favors while he was married to another woman – decided she was a good Catholic and demanded he convert. THEN the Catholic Church had to find a rationale to declare Newt’s first two marriages null and void (my guess is that he was married in a Baptist church, and the Catholics don’t consider Baptists to be real Christians, therefore their marriages aren’t valid). After all that, he is still unclear that his “marriage” to Calista was ONLY valid legally and not religiously for years? What an idiot.

Oh, yeah, and I am sure he would have done so much better than Mitt Romney in the election. Mitt’s worst problem was that he came off as an arrogant prick, which is the EXACT opposite of Newt, right?

9. Geoff says

Who cares what this creature “thinks” or doesn’t “think”? It is no longer relevant. *Beep, beep!* It’s the Rapture bus, Nooty! Get your Babble…an’ get on board. You’re late!