McKenna Pope | News

BigGayDeal.com

NJ 13-Year-Old Emerges Victorious in Quest to Get Hasbro to Produce a Gender Neutral Easy Bake Oven

Pope

Earlier this month I posted about NJ teen McKenna Pope and her quest to get Hssbro to produce a gender-neutral Easy Bake Oven because her little brother loves cooking but the marketing on Hasbro's toy is directed at girls. Pope turned in more than 40,000 petition signatures, got the backing of professional chef Bobby Flay, and was invited to Hasbro where she was told the company would do as she wished, the AP reports:

Hasbro invited McKenna and her family to its Pawtucket, R.I., headquarters to meet with its Easy-Bake team, and on Monday, they drove to Rhode Island from New Jersey. During the meeting, Hasbro executives showed off a prototype of their newest Easy-Bake: one that's black, silver and blue.

Hasbro has been working on the new color scheme and design forabout 18 months, and decided to invite McKenna to see it and offer her thoughts, said John Frascotti, Hasbro's chief marketing officer.

McKenna said the company is doing everything she asked, including putting boys in the ads.

"I think that they really met most or even all of what I wanted them to do, and they really amazed me," she said, adding that Gavyn thought the new design was "awesome."

Frascotti pointed out that the classic toy has had about a dozen different color schemes, from yellow to green to teal to silver, since first being introduced in 1963. The most recent iteration, introduced in 2011, is mostly purple with pink accents.

Comments

1. Gee, now why would this be a relevant article on a gay blog? Oooh, I know, it is yet another post by Andy Towle which equates being gay with gender baggage. Andy's still trying to brown nose trans activists after the row over his post about a stereotypical gay character on a soap opera.

Keep at it Andy! You can make all the trans and "queer" activists love you and all you have to do is sacrifice your dignity as a gay man and your integrity as a blogger.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 19, 2012 12:10:46 PM

2. I'm sorry that i'm too stupid too realize that not every article is going to be about gay issues. I'm just frustrated that I didn't get an Easy Bake Oven when I was a kid. I asked my parents for one when I was 10, but my dad just laughed at me and asked if I also wanted a dress and high heels to go with it.

By the way, can anyone give me the number of a doctor that treats prolapsed anuses? It's...for a friend...

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 19, 2012 12:15:41 PM

3. I'm sorry that i'm too stupid too realize that not every article is going to be about gay issues. I'm just frustrated that I didn't get an Easy Bake Oven when I was a kid. I asked my parents for one when I was 10, but my dad just laughed at me and asked if I also wanted a dress and high heels to go with it.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 19, 2012 12:15:42 PM

4. I'm sorry that i'm too stupid too realize that not every article is going to be about gay issues. I'm just frustrated that I didn't get an Easy Bake Oven when I was a kid. I asked my parents for one when I was 10, but my dad just laughed at me and asked if I also wanted a dress and high heels to go with it.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 19, 2012 12:15:44 PM

5. I'm sorry that i'm too stupid too realize that not every article is going to be about gay issues. I'm just frustrated that I didn't get an Easy Bake Oven when I was a kid. I asked my parents for one when I was 10, but my dad just laughed at me and asked if I also wanted a dress and high heels to go with it.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 19, 2012 12:15:45 PM

6. I'm sorry that i'm too stupid too realize that not every article is going to be about gay issues. I'm just frustrated that I didn't get an Easy Bake Oven when I was a kid. I asked my parents for one when I was 10, but my dad just laughed at me and asked if I also wanted a dress and high heels to go with it.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 19, 2012 12:15:50 PM

7. There goes Kiwi again, hijacking identities of people he doesn't agree with.

I don't agree with Jeff's point, but I disagree with Kiwi's childishness even more.

Posted by: Jack | Dec 19, 2012 12:52:46 PM

8. Easy Bake grill?? Seems simple enough.

Posted by: anon | Dec 19, 2012 1:30:44 PM

9. you GO girl!

kids can, and should, learn to cook. last thing we need are generations who think dinner is something you buy in a story, unwrap, zap in the microwave and eat out of the container.

and no, jack, none of those are me. seems others as equally unimpressed with trollish nonsense.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 19, 2012 1:38:59 PM

10. I don't see what this has to do with being gay. There is no indication that the NJ boy is gay. I am gay and as a boy, if I had gotten an Easy Bake Oven, I would have used it to melt enemy toy soldiers. Or I would have just trashed it. Please don't assume that gay boys play differently from any other boys.

Posted by: Donny | Dec 19, 2012 3:58:42 PM

11. Exactly, Donny.

Lots of gay types, it's a spectrum.

Posted by: johnny | Dec 19, 2012 4:31:56 PM

12. Now if they can just desegregate their website... (and stores)

Posted by: Randy | Dec 19, 2012 5:34:15 PM

13. Yes, because all gay men want, wanted or is currently wanting an easy bake oven. There is no way this site is run by a gay man.

Posted by: UhYeah | Dec 19, 2012 6:28:40 PM

14. I'm thrilled for all of you throbbing rockets of hyper-masculinity who never once had a moment of identity distress. You're all amazing. Now, shut the F up and appreciate the fact that we're raising smart, perceptive, empathetic young people who see the absurdity of imposing strict gender conformity onto little kids. You totally miss the point.

Posted by: fedorajoe | Dec 19, 2012 6:56:52 PM

15. So is it too late to suggest that Jeff shove an Easy-Bake oven up his @ss sideways?

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 19, 2012 11:19:26 PM

16. People,what part of this blog not just being about gay topics don't you get? And if you want an all gay blog you're welcome to start your own. So,just zip it.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Dec 20, 2012 12:42:45 AM

17. Congratulations to McKenna Pope and Hasbro for making the change.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 20, 2012 2:56:20 AM

18. I dominated my cousin's Easy-Bake oven...I thought it was nothing short of magic...cakes on demand! I loved it! It has nothing to do with me being gay, I just love cake! (well, not so much now, since I have to work it off) I had fun. Isn't that's what being a kid is all about?

Posted by: millerbeach | Dec 20, 2012 5:33:20 AM

19. Andy, this is a great story, thank you for covering it here!

Posted by: AtlantaGuy | Dec 20, 2012 6:14:44 AM