Comments

1. Guy says

At least, Baz doesn’t have the cast singing contemporary songs!

Carey Mulligan doesn’t look right for Daisy. In the trailer, she seems to be moping and posing.

In contrast, Tobey Maguire, with his big eyes, may be the best Nick Carraway yet, because he seems … interesting.

2. Randy says

Please, get over it!

3. Randy says

It would be much more interesting if the novel were updated to today. America hasn’t changed much at all, and with a few clever updated situtions, the characters would be the same.

At least that would be interesting.

4. JonB says

This borders on literary sacrilege. It’s just so wrong. The visuals are too loud, and don’t fit with the story. The casting is miserable. Leo would make a fine Tom… but Gatsby? No, I don’t see it. Either way, the tone just seems so off. I can’t imagine how the tragic characters Fitzgerald wrote can come through with all of that noise. Not everything has to be an orgy of color and sound. Baz seems to disagree.

5. Elsewhere says

Right color, wrong car. This looks no more like a film version of The Great Gatsby than it does Tosca.

To be fair, the novel is probably unfilmable; it’s a case where the plot doesn’t begin to tell the story, but the plot is all that will be in the film.

6. AriesMatt says

I think it looks beautiful and decadent, just like the parties were back then during prohibition/flapper era. May be more grandiose than the first movie and than what the book conveys, but we already have those works to watch or read. Looking forward to a new interpretation of this story. Great cast all around, too.

7. Yupp says

And that godawful version of “Happy Together” ??!! Does Luhrman choose the music himself? (All his films look like he’s trying to scream “Look how cool I am !!”)

8. gr8guyca says

The problem is that Luhrman thinks he is a) smarter, b) more artistic, and c) more imaginative than the people whose work he is adapting. So, he overpowers Shakespeare or Fitzgerald with his own vision. He has a great eye and can create amazingly visual set-pieces, but I wish he wouldn’t “interpret” some of the greatest works of literature.

9. Yupp says

Hi GR8 : I pretty much agree with you on all that. But there is one main thing I can never forgive Luhrman for: after enjoying for so many years the 1952 “Moulin Rouge” where Jose Ferrer portrayed Toulouse-Lautrec with such beautiful dignity, Luhrman in his own version used that Leguizamo character to turn the great artist into a foolish hyper-bouncing Mexican midget.

10. Jeff says

The Great Ghastly. Couldn’t even make it through the whole trailer. Leo’s Gatsby- loud and coarse- is everything Gatsby despised,as is the Duesenberg. Gatsby was a Rolls-Royce owner, it represented the character he portrayed. Possibly the one good thing about the Mayan Apocolypse is that it would prevent us from seeing this trash.

11. JB says

this looks like it’s going to be either totally amazing, or a complete mess…no middle ground. i’m certainly hoping for the former. leo seems like a mis-cast, though maybe he’ll prove me wrong.

12. jay says

That trailer doesn’t play quite as well as the first one, but I can’t wait for this. Baz Luhrman is amazing and I think he is going to knock this outta the park. It might also be the first time since Romeo and Juliet that I find Leo DiCaprio attractive.

13. iban4yesu says

@ Guy
    “…In contrast, Tobey Maguire, with his big eyes, may be the best…..”

Yap, I might see it just to enjoy Tobey in 3D! Swoon!
    Loved him in the grossly underrated Ride With Devils by Ang Lee, among other things!

14. iban4yesu says

@ WHAT is hollywood’s fascinatino with Leo? I think he’s a terrible actor — he always plays the same role over and over. I hate his voice, and he always seems like he’s still 14 years old.

Please, get over it!”

Well said, indeed!

Um, probably, the villain here is James Cameron* :

“I am the king of the world!!!”

(Hollywood’s fascination is fore-mostly with bread, ka-ching!)

Yikes, indeed!

*…(whose ex-wife is also wreaking a big havoc right now, and particularly here in the other thread w/ an oh ever so precious big deal beefcake shot, with which I am done for now ! ;-P)

15. Hank says

Looks like the implied homo back story (in the book,) – how Gatsby started his career hustling a rich guy with a yacht- is getting fleshed out here. How nice if literary classics no longer have to be de-gayed to make it to film.