EastSiders | News | Van Hansis

BigGayDeal.com

Watch The First Episode Of Gay Web Series 'EastSiders:' VIDEO

Eastsiders

We'll have to wait untold months for HBO's gay comedy, and with season one of The Outs behind us, that's out for our viewing pleasure. Never fear, though, because there's still the new gay-themed web series EastSiders to get us through the winter months.

As Andy mentioned, the new project follows a gay couple dealing with infidelity in Los Angeles and co-stars Van Hansis, the actor who played gay character Luke Snyder on As The World Turns, and Kit Williams, known best for his stage work, including Talk Radio with Liev Schreiber. It has been described as "Girls with a bunch of gay guys."

Watch the first episode and describe it for yourself AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Love the first episode!!!
    The ES team is great...

Posted by: Ja1982n | Dec 15, 2012 2:40:42 PM

2. "girls with a bunch of gay guys."

Well Geez... I can't remember the last time I said "you know what we really need? Another show with upper middle class white gay men acting like a bunch of girly fags."

I mean... it feels like DAYS since we had another one. Please tell me this has lines like "promiscuity is the gay ambivalence" or "I can't have cheesecake...I'm GAY!!"

Posted by: Jasun Mark | Dec 15, 2012 3:31:56 PM

3. "girls with a bunch of gay guys."

Posted by: Jasun Mark | Dec 15, 2012 3:32:02 PM

4. I had hard time to get through the episode. I found it boring and the characters aren't likable. If the second episode is the same, won't continue watching it. Sorry.

Posted by: Matt26 | Dec 15, 2012 3:41:19 PM

5. Well, it doesn't give me anxiety from being set in NYC (sorry, my time in that town was stressful and claustrophobic).

The song in the end credits is cute.

Posted by: Mike B. | Dec 15, 2012 3:43:16 PM

6. Jasun Mark, if your solution is for gays like "you" to have your own program, what (pray tell) will the content be?

a solitary gay man who resents being gay angrily typing about "f@gs" from the anonymity of his computer, who loathes all the openly gay people who date, have active social lives, and interact with their brothers in public?

there is a show about your type. It's called "hoarders"

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 15, 2012 3:44:18 PM

7. Sorry, I prefer The Outs.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Dec 15, 2012 3:44:59 PM

8. i want a television treatment of Ethan Mordden's "Buddies Cycle" of novels.

there's no funnier, touching, honest and loving depiction of gay male friendships and the families we create with one another.

best gay lit. ever.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 15, 2012 3:49:49 PM

9. Phoenix: same here. The Outs is so wonderful.

Posted by: MateoM | Dec 15, 2012 4:25:26 PM

10. Agree with Matt26, only to add redundant. And yes, The Outs was definitely better.

Posted by: Rexford | Dec 15, 2012 4:46:20 PM

11. I agree with Matt26. The characters are self-loathing and hell-bent on self-destruction. It they can't love themselves, is it any wonder they can't love others.

Posted by: scott | Dec 15, 2012 4:47:40 PM

12. As genuine gay television, I don't see how you could not enjoy this. Yes, I also liked "The Outs." But the acting here was in many ways more believable, and the story just as interesting. It was very well written. And it left me wanting to see more.

Posted by: Jack | Dec 15, 2012 4:53:25 PM

13. I like it. But I’m not that exposed to gay lore, myth and “traditional” environment, so maybe that’s why. Either way, will see how it goes.

Posted by: SayTheTruth | Dec 15, 2012 4:57:32 PM

14. In truth, there's very little appeal to this episode. The writing sucks (pithy, glib urbanites trying to sound profound...um, overdone); the acting is mediocre (the female buddy is gawdawful...appallingly bad); and let's face it, there's nothing even remotely interesting about any the people, the story, the visuals, the sets...
    The Outs is light years ahead of this drivel.

Posted by: garry | Dec 15, 2012 6:41:15 PM

15. I'm also a big fan of The Outs, but I don't feel any need to pick one over the other--they're very different. Personally, I really got into the story.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 15, 2012 7:25:30 PM

16. LOVE "The Outs." This is OK so far. But "The Outs" got int WAY deeper material.
    Frankly I think its raised the bar.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 15, 2012 10:10:24 PM

17. Kudos to creating a project that is obviously done with heart and with passion. It is obvious that Mr. Williamson has chops as an actor and reminds me somewhat of a young Michael Emerson. However the conversations really should have more of a an improvised feel, and really wanted to see some uniqueness with the characters. But once again, congratulations to the project as I am aware just how much work and care went into it.

Posted by: Robert | Dec 15, 2012 10:47:21 PM

18. Uh... LITTLEKIWI, someone needs to explain to you the concept of "anonymity." I told you my first and last names. That's kinda the opposite of "anonymous."

Google me. I'm married (to a man, 21 years) and I lead a pretty open life. Look for my Youtube Channel. I'm not sure what a TV show I'd create would look like but I'll tell you this... it wouldn't be "Girls With Gay Guys."

Posted by: Jasun Mark | Dec 15, 2012 10:52:03 PM

19. I'm with Matt26 and Rexford.

The actors are fine. The camerawork is fine. Etc. But it's the content: same old thing. So much melancholy 'truth'telling. Codependency passes for 'love,' and booze and dope are the solutions to all problems. YAWN.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Dec 16, 2012 12:35:56 AM

20. Like the actors, story is fine, sound is an issue, especially when they talk low. Can't catch the dialog, which I really wanted to hear. Otherwise, I'll be checking out the next ep.

Posted by: AriesMatt | Dec 16, 2012 1:07:35 AM

21. Love the free exchange of opinion in the comment section (The Outs vs ES)...just don't forget when there weren't any depictions of gay life on TV in any form; it wasn't that long ago!

Posted by: GARY | Dec 16, 2012 1:31:51 AM

22. Correction - "THEY'RE designed for..." my bad. At 2:am my proof-reading doesn't work.

Posted by: Mommie Dammit | Dec 16, 2012 3:00:23 AM

23. Never mind... my original comment seems to have been dropped by the site. Nice, Andy. Perhaps if you didn't have 21 different trackers and other crap built into your site...?

Posted by: Mommie Dammit | Dec 16, 2012 3:03:29 AM

24. JASUN MARK - 'Does EVERY gay guy on TV have to be a fashion-obsessed, flighty, diva-loving, fey BFF who does his best girl friend's hair?
    That's what you got from this episode - wow, .......just wow.

Posted by: jhr459 | Dec 16, 2012 5:09:10 AM

25. It's fine. I'd watch the second episode. It is very Silverlakey. Even them watching TV drinking coffee on a Thunderbolt display. It's just exactly right. If you don't know Silverlake, it is hard to describe- it's like a little bit Twin Peaks, a little bit Greenpoint, a little bit Lower Haight. The girlfriend eating ice cream out of a chinese take-out carton and being worried about her closet suburban desires. Perfect. Three sorta-pretty (but not too) gays dressed like urban lumberjacks. Perfect. Uber-hipsters who unwittingly recreate the small town midwestern life they thought they left behind. Exactly right. Is it super interesting? It's ok. Think of it as insight into a very particular part of LA life, people. Not gay life. LA life.

Posted by: Miguel R. | Dec 16, 2012 1:08:37 PM