Andrew Rannells | Girls | News | Playing Gay | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Andrew Rannells is a 'Purebred' Gay

Rannells

[SPOILERY]

NY Mag's Vulture caught up with Andrew Rannells at the Cinema Society screening this week and asked him if he's ever, like his gay character Elijah will in Girls, experimented with a woman.

Said Rannells:

I personally have never had sex with a woman. I'm more of what you call gold-star gay. I'm purebred. So I knew it wasn't my thing, so I was like, Why do that? So I didn't.

Vulture seemed startled by the word 'purebred'. Added Rannells:

In my circle of friends, it's used. Like, "Andrew, he's a purebred." Yeah...I feel like I'm in the minority for a lot of gay men. Most of my friends have tried [having sex with a woman] at some point....Although, I have a lot of friends who, actually, after they've realized they're gay, they feel empowered in a way that they do some things that they didn't think they would do, like explore some things because they're a little more comfortable with who they are.

Anybody have any other names for 'purebred' or 'gold-star' gay?

Comments

1. He was on Anderson Cooper yesterday and I like him very much. Anderson is so much more comfortable with other gays then he is with heterosexuals. Marlon Wayans was the co-host - an odd choice for Anderson who rarely has straight men on as co-hosts but it went well. Anderson turned on his 'professional' side with Marlon altho at one point Marlon had Anderson roaring with real laughter (he is very funny) but when Andrew came on you could see Anderson's demeanor change and become more comfortable. The show is doing a lot to open Anderson up to becoming more of a complete and real person. Coming out of the closet was the best thing he's ever done.

My husband was straight (or thought he was, and had been married for six years to his college girlfriend) before we met. Sometimes I catch him looking at a pretty women. So I'll ask if he misses being with a women and he crinkles up his forehead, winces and says "God no". I too look at pretty women because, well, some can be very pretty but I can ogle a gorgeous man. I was born gay and thankful for that.

@Zach - your post was very funny. You lose lotsa points for sticking your hand up some women's vagina but you are forgiven. After all, you are a lady doctor as Andrew says when describing his own husband on The New Normal. :-)

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jan 11, 2013 11:05:07 AM

2. My husband always used the term Gold Standard Gay.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jan 11, 2013 11:11:23 AM

3. "Dolphin Safe" for the win.

Posted by: JohninBend | Jan 11, 2013 11:56:57 AM

4. C*NT, I say.

Posted by: ECCO | Jan 11, 2013 12:08:29 PM

5. Piscine hypersensitive.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jan 11, 2013 12:12:11 PM

6. Not really related to "purebred" or "gold-star" gays (even though I am one), but years ago I heard my favorite euphemism for "gay" and since then it's become an in-joke for me and my friends.

At the time I owned a book store and one of my older straight male customers was gossiping about the doings among the local "worthies." I don't think he knew I was gay. Anyway, talking about the adult son of a local power-couple, movers and shakers in politics, charity, the arts, etc, he leaned in whispered "He doesn't *bother* girls," with a slight emphasis on "bother" that indicates some deeper meaning is intended.

So that's my go-to term for discussing the sexuality of others. "I don't think he *bothers* girls."

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 11, 2013 12:15:50 PM

7. Um, I think the word we're looking for is virgin!

Posted by: Casey | Jan 11, 2013 1:03:10 PM

8. @Casey, "virgin" hardly seems to fit if you are not AT ALL a virgin in your given sexuality. I mean would you call a fisting pig-bottom a "virgin" just because he'd never been with a woman? You could, I suppose, but I'd hope you'd at least roll your eyes when you do it.

That's a little bit like girls who say they're "virgins" because they've only had anal and oral sex. It might satisfy the literal interpretation but it's miles away from the spirit of it!

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 11, 2013 1:44:22 PM

9. I have never heard a term for the (relatively few) gay people who have never had sex with someone of the opposite sex. My husband is one though. The most he has done is finger the vagina of transgender man, but that probably does not count as having sex with a woman. Like most gay men who did not come out till after undergrad, I had sex with quite a few women years before first having sex with a man.

Posted by: DB | Jan 11, 2013 1:54:22 PM

10. I would be more impressed if Mr. Rannells treated this questions with the disdain and offense it deserves.

It is not 'normal' or 'ok' to demand proof of homosexuality, to doubt a gay person's experiences, to force them to have to justify who they've been intimate with so as to make others comfortable. The questions of past, non-gay experiences serves only to denigrate and malign gays. It serves no purpose but to support theories of 'choice' about sexuality. I'm a gold-star not because I haven't tried, but because vaginas are gross to me.

Posted by: Will | Jan 11, 2013 2:28:50 PM

11. My ex used to call me a "golden boy" for never having had sex with a woman. Though, my ex is NOW a woman, so I'm not so sure about my "golden boy" status. ;-)

Posted by: Geronimo | Jan 11, 2013 4:19:17 PM

12. @GERONIMO

Thank you. What a great posting to read on Friday evening...LOL!!!!! Thanks.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 11, 2013 4:48:24 PM

13. "I mean would you call a fisting pig-bottom a "virgin" just because he'd never been with a woman?"

Well, I wouldn't, but the Pope would (any generic pope) and so would quite a few legal jurisdictions.

Posted by: BobN | Jan 11, 2013 5:10:26 PM

14. ... As gay as they come!

Posted by: Douglas | Jan 11, 2013 6:38:15 PM

15. or, The Gayest Gay in the Village!

Posted by: Douglas | Jan 11, 2013 6:38:53 PM

16. I've never heard it but i like it. I'll start saying purebred now.

Posted by: Reality | Jan 11, 2013 7:10:37 PM

17. Have not sampled the meat curtains as well, but `Purebred` has a slightly dodgy undertone to it. So I will stick with just plain Orthodix. TYVM

Posted by: CCRT | Jan 11, 2013 9:34:44 PM

18. Quite some years ago, I was told I couldn't possibly know I was gay because I hadn't had sex with a woman and decided which I preferred.

I remember recently hearing a different term about C-section men who are virgins with women - like me - than any on this post.

@DB: relatively few???

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Jan 12, 2013 12:02:15 AM

19. Gold star.

And it's harmless fun. They're the silly little badges of honor given out by 2nd-grade teachers.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 12, 2013 1:48:31 AM

20. How about Ricky Martin who still insists that his former "girlfriend" was not a beard.

Posted by: simon | Jan 12, 2013 7:53:19 AM

21. I can't even believe there's potential for offence here, it's just silly fun

Posted by: Bryan | Jan 12, 2013 10:10:15 AM

22. I've used "pedigree poof" for some time.
    And being a Harry Potter fan I do love BryGuy's use of "mudbloods" for the tainted ones.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 13, 2013 1:13:51 AM

23. Does touching a girlfriend's tits taint me and keep me from being a purebred gay? ;-)

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 13, 2013 1:38:27 AM

24. Yep, here in DC its Gold Star Gay and Platinum Gay :)

Posted by: dcdwntwn | Jan 14, 2013 3:08:49 PM

25. I'm a lesbian - many friends who have never slept with a guy say they are "gold star lesbians"

Posted by: rrrrr | Jan 14, 2013 7:22:05 PM