Boy Scouts | News

BigGayDeal.com

Boy Scouts Taking Phone Calls, Email Feedback on Gay Ban

BsaThe Boy Scouts of America are taking feedback from the public as they consider putting an end to their ban on gay scouts and leaders. Their board is scheduled to discuss the matter next Wednesday. Right wing groups are already churning their followers to take action.

Calls are being answered at the National Service Desk at 972-580-2330. A representative will answer and ask if you are for or against the policy change.

Emails are also being accepted at [email protected] (this is a CORRECTION as the earlier email information was wrong).

GLAAD also suggests posting a message of support on their Facebook page.

(via the dallas voice)

Comments

1. thanks, buddy.

we have a culture that would still be happier seeing their son hold a semi-automatic assault rifle than hold another man's hand.

and that's sad.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 29, 2013 11:49:25 PM

2. I think this could happen please make calls and send emails. Mobilize your friends.

Posted by: Nick | Jan 30, 2013 1:20:06 AM

3. Private clubs are not required to eschew discrimination. Until last year for example, the Augusta National Golf Club would not admit women. Unless you can convince the courts that the Boy Scouts are a public accomodation, they (unlike Chik-Fil-A) can do as they please.

That said, one can try to persuade them that it is in their own best interests to pursue a nondiscriminatory membership policy. Corporate sponsors have been using their checkbooks for that purpose. The organization has indicated it will hear our voices (whether or not it chooses to heed them), and that is perhaps the least we can do.

Dr. King said that the arc of history bends towards justice. There's nothing wrong with nudging it a bit.

Posted by: Rich | Jan 30, 2013 1:36:12 AM

4. This is a bit lengthy, but it may well represent a microcosm of the upcoming culture war over our full inclusion in society.

Posted by: Stan D | Jan 30, 2013 3:16:47 AM

5. Kiwi, I noticed you asked a question and I didn't see it until now. About those who you talk to in a civil manner and try to get them to see the light, you push past all the indoctrinated BS thinking and get down to the nitty gritty of what they truly believe..........which they don't even know, as you said, themselves. Yes, been there just recently. Had a conversation with a few straight guys who were "ewwww" regarding same-sex kissing between guys.

You have to keep hammering away and break down their defenses, because there are A LOT of them up. They're honestly about as insecure about homosexuality as we could ever be about discrimination or rejection due to homophobia. They're damaged, they're societally indoctrinated. They'll even admit as much. Admit at the very least they have no logical view for their way of thinking.

But, often times, it ends there. Change has to come within and there is a block with so many homophobes, that simply won't allow themselves to make that change or at the very least try. Nothing we say will force the change with the ardent homophobic types. The casual homophobes, the ones who aren't truly homophobic and maybe just a little ignorant, you can educate them pretty easily if they're willing to listen. But people who are straight up anti-gay tend to make excuses for why they are so, or simply don't care to or think they can change and therefore don't try.

It's all up to them in the end. Awareness, education is important but only goes so far.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 30, 2013 3:50:46 AM

6. Leadership changes things against even a majority tide. At first more women were against sufferage than for it, just as more people have been against gay rights until recently, just as more people were against integration, or against racial inter-marriage. The list goes on. Do not despair. Leadership makes the difference, so always be a leader.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jan 30, 2013 5:18:09 AM

7. KIWI - your work is clear. You must write to each negative FB responder and tell them how they should die and how much you want them to...a big help to the cause don't you think?

Posted by: UFFDA | Jan 30, 2013 6:11:09 AM

8. This is such a joke. Who are they kidding?
    A couple female friends once told that every boyfriend or male friend they'd had who had been in the boy scouts mentioned that on at least one instance, either a "straight" troop leader had in some way attempted to be sexually inappropriate with them or had acquired a reputation for doing so already.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jan 30, 2013 9:59:53 AM

9. Hinuism,Christianity,Budism,Judaism,Bahai,Mormanism,JahovahWitness,and my resources of over 150 world religions the gods are in agreement (the homosexual life is a sin,immoral and will separate them from God!)Not even atheism endorses this immoral life style! Why do people hate hearing the truth? We cant call anything wrong.I desire TRUTH!Stand with the truth and follow what GOD tells us.Stand against the Homosexual push!

Posted by: Honest Noble | Jan 30, 2013 12:09:12 PM

10. They're also taking emails

The Boy Scouts of America is accepting public feedback about ending its ban on gay Scouts and leaders. Its Board will vote by Feb. 6. Let's FLOOD their lines with thousands of calls. (Believe me, the other side's busy, too...)

If you call 972-580-2330, a rep asks: "Are you FOR or against the change in policy?" Just say FOR and you're done! Can't get thru? Email [email protected]

took this from George Takei's FB page

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Jan 30, 2013 12:42:04 PM

11. The email I sent them used a rational argument. From the perspective of a parent deciding whether to have a boy join the cub scouts or boy scouts, one would do a risk assessment. Since by and large you can't determine what a boy's sexual orientation will be at such a young age, you should figure there's a small chance - a few percent - that the boy will turn out to be gay. So, why take a risk of having the boy deal with feeling like a pariah as he gets booted from the organization some years later when there are so many other activities he could be in instead?

This argument gets to a point close to any organizations heart - according to http://www.bsatoday.org/ (which is a critical of the BSA), the BSA reported $144,400,000 as revenue from membership dues and assessments and they are going to want to keep that number as high as possible.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 30, 2013 1:50:27 PM

12. Bill, that's exactly it. There are adults fighting this change who have gay children! I don't think they've even stopped to consider that reality.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 30, 2013 1:56:52 PM

13. Email sent to the National Board of the BSA:
    [email protected]

I was a registered scout from the age of 8 through 18 as were both my younger and older brothers. All three of us spent summers first attending and then working for our local scout camp J.N. Webster. I achieved my Life badge and was inducted into the Order of the Arrow completing vigil and numerous service projects.

Mom, started as a cub scout leader and in the 70's became one of the first women in America to complete advanced leadership training.
    "Stand Up Rose" Goodnow became a district leader and was awarded the silver beaver on two occasions. Upon her passing, she was buried in her scouting uniform at her request.

Wally Goodnow, my dad served as scout master and on district committees, also earning a sliver beaver.

My bothers, Wallace and Paul-Steven Goodnow, both Eagle scouts, died tragically while still in their teens; Wallace, murdered in Jacksonville, FL before he was 20 and Paul-Steven in a single car accident driving late night to his job at J.N. Webster as dining hall steward.

A plaque was erected memorializing them at the entrance to a campsite at the scout reservation.

I helped to home care Rose through her final illness and took my father Wallace into my home to see him through his, eventually holding his hand as he passed. They remained involved in scouting to the end.

Every five years I take a stand for my family and represent my brother Wallace and his memory at the parole board hearing for the unapologetic man who took his life.

I volunteer as a youth mentor and contribute my services to community and charitable projects often in the name of these family members who have passed.

I am a gay man. The lessons that I learned in scouting and the examples of service and fellowship have helped to make me a good man as well.

Two summers ago, I attended a reunion at J.N. Webster for past staff and campers.
    I was greeted by one leader graciously and with much good cheer. Most others made it clear that though they would happily take my financial contribution, they would also prefer that I leave as quickly as possible.
    - I was not welcome to assist with service and badly needed maintenance projects.
    - My offer to provide assistance with fundraising and marketing (areas in which I have considerable expertise)was firmly rebuffed.
    - I have now, apparently, been removed from contact lists for future social gatherings
    - Though I asked, none would tell me where the plaque honoring my brothers was so I could pay my respects

I continue to contribute to my community and actively participate in many worthwhile organizations.
    …but my heart is heavy when I think of what scouting was and what it has become.

On behalf of my scouting family and in their memory, please change this policy.

Allow your brothers to come home.

Patrick Goodnow
    Norwich, CT

Posted by: trickgood | Jan 30, 2013 2:18:58 PM

14. I find it incredibly ridiculous, to be frank, to more or less turn this into a popularity contest. Turn something this important to so many people on both sides to a phone call and emails. No real discussion, no real debate. It's really appalling.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 30, 2013 2:40:34 PM

15. I e-mailed: 'Gay and heterosexual boys are equally likely to be 'morally straight' and to be able to accomplish all of the goals and follow all of the values of scouting. By following a pro-bigotry and double-standard policy banning openly gay boys from being scouts and becoming Eagles, the BSA leadership is weakening the organization and undermining its core values. As a father, a Christian, and a former scout, I have kept my son out of scouting only because I do not want him associated with prejudice on the basis of race or sexual orientation. I am praying you make the correct decision and allow all qualified boys to become scouts and all qualified fathers to become scout leaders.

Posted by: DB | Jan 30, 2013 4:02:11 PM

16. I am an Eagle scout, straight and LDS. But I don't think there should be a ban on Gay members of the BSA. It is unfair for that to be so. Repeal the ban.

Posted by: Kamden | Jan 30, 2013 7:06:21 PM

17. Rang for awhile but someone eventually answered and asked quickly

Posted by: Former Boy Scout | Jan 30, 2013 7:08:38 PM

18. ok you know what i dont know why you all think some gays are weird or whatever but what i have to say is i support the gays and i support gay marriage and i think that it doesn't really matter what gender you are it all matters that your with the person that you love the most and thats all so what if a guy likes another guy it only shows that he found someone to spend his life with and to be happy with

and just to remind you all we do have famouse people like ellen and adam lambert who are gay but that doesnt make them weird so stop the hateing and start loveing ok

Posted by: zelda | Jan 31, 2013 2:55:23 AM

19. I feel that you should let gay people into the organization as it should not matter. A person is a person and a pedophile is a pedophile. Gay people will not turn your children gay.

Posted by: Darleen Wright | Jan 31, 2013 6:20:36 AM

20. The Boy Scouts should lift the ban on gays. It is time for the Scouts to take a leadership position that is in keeping with the concepts of fairness, equality and facts and allow all people to become members or leaders. It is a fact that being gay is the way a person is born and is not a choice. It also is a fact that the vast majority of youth sexual assaults occur by heterosexual men. But heterosexual men are not banned as members. Please do the right thing and lift the ban. In addition, the Scouts can use the addition of all people who are interested in and want to be become Scouts.

Posted by: Stephen | Feb 5, 2013 8:03:59 AM

21. Please lift the ban on gays being able to become Scouts or Scout leaders. It is time to do the correct and smart thing and open up scouting to all interested individuals.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 5, 2013 8:10:24 AM

22. BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICAN, STAND UP AND BE "LEADERS", DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY THE "GAY GANG" FORCING THEIR WAY IN, THEY HAVE A "CATCH 22" BETWEEN BEING GAY IS IN THE "GENES" OR A "CHOICE", I STRONGLY BELIEVE IT IS "CHOICE" AND THE GAY GANG SHOULD ACCEPT THAT AND BE HAPPY WITH THEIR CHOICE, I HAVE KNOWN MANY GAYS IN THE PAST THRU MY CAREER WHEN I WAS YOUNGER SO MY OPINION IS NOT OUT OF IGNORANCE BUT FROM EXPERIENCE, THE GAY GANG TOOK OVER "BODYBUILDING" IN THE "70'S" BY THE GAY LEADER NAMED "KEN S." WHICH IS THE PLANTIFF OF THE LAWSUIT AGAINST THE AAU IN LOS ANGELES AND THE SOUTHERN PACIFIC ASSOC., HE USED THE INTIMIDATION OF DRAINING ALL THEIR ASSETS SO HE WOULD GET HIS WAY, THESE LAWSUITS ON ON FILE IN THE LOS ANGELES COURT HOUSE DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES.....I GREW UP IN THE YMCA WHO HAS GOTTEN A BAD RAP SOMEHOW AND I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS WITHT THE YMCA, BUT WHEN I BECAME TOO OLD FOR THE CUB SCOUTS WHICH I ENJOYED MY MOTHER WANTED ME TO JOIN THE BOY SCOUTS THAT HAD MEETINGS NEXT TO THE YMCA AT THE CHURCH IN THE BASEMENT, I THINK IT WAS THE SECOND MEETING I WENT TO AND THE TOP TWO LEADERS HAD ME COME ALONG WITH THEM AND THEY STOPPED AT THEIR APT. WHICH I NEVER GOT OUT THE CAR UNTIL WE GOT BACK TO THE CHURCH, I NEVER AGAIN WENT TO ANY OF THEIR MEETINGS AND THEY MIGHT OF BEEN "PEDOPHILES"????? UNLESS YOU MAKE WOMEN THE LEADERS OF THE BOY SCOUTS LIKE CUB SCOUTS YOU ARE SETTING UP FUTURE DISASTER, THE ADULT MALES WILL JOIN THE BOY SCOUTS TO HARVEST "GAY RECRUITS", SINCE TWO MALES CANNOT CREATE ANOTHER GAY MALE IF YOU BELIEVE IT'S GENETIC THEY HAVE TO RECRUIT.......BE THE "LEADERS OF THE WORLD NOT JUST A CLUB"........ALL THIS ACCEPTANCE IN CHURCH GROUPS AND SCOUTS THAT ARE ABSOLUTELY AGAINST HOMOSEXUALITY HAS TO BE A WAY FOR THE COMMUNIST TO BREAK DOWN THE MORAL SOCIETY OF AMERICAN WITHOUT FIRING A SHOT......LET THEM START THEIR OWN ORGANIZATION......WITH NO HETROSEXUALS..

Posted by: ROD | Feb 6, 2013 2:52:37 PM

23. I was a Scout until I was 18 years of age. Although I don't harbor any ill-will towards gays & lesbians, I feel that their open inclusion as scout leaders is innappropriate. My feeling is that scouts should have leaders who they can emulate. I was shocked to visit my scout camp (where I was on Staff in my later scouting years) several years ago and found that the Camp Director was a slovenly lesbian-appearing woman, certainly not a role model for boys and young men. Political correctness has no place in that organization (nor in the military).

Posted by: bob garcia | Feb 6, 2013 3:29:26 PM

24. If the BSA acts like the Westboro Baptist Church, they'll be Depicted as Members of the Westboro Baptist Church. See http://i.imgur.com/hBUYi9w.jpg

Posted by: Throwaway | Mar 15, 2013 7:02:39 PM