Bullying | Canada | News

BigGayDeal.com

Canadian PSA Fights 'Faggot' With Censorship: VIDEO

Canadaad

The No Homophobes Campaign recently released a very effective television ad meant to counter the tenaciously ubiquitous word "faggot."

The campaign, organized by the University of AlbertaŹ¼s Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services, has been going hard after the word for a few years now, and last year found that Twitter users employed the anti-gay epithet 2.5 million times in a three month period last year, from July to September. That means that "faggot" is used on Twitter about 15 million times a year. Terrible.

Maybe this new advert, which highlights the interchangeable, universal hate that flows through words not fit for TV. When, they wonder, will "faggot" join the ranks of other f-words?

The video is definitely worth a view, so please do AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Good ad. Shames it's way too sophisticated to run in a backwards country like the U.S.

Posted by: K in VA | Jan 10, 2013 10:37:57 AM

2. I live in Alberta, I have yet to see this on television. I only heard of it cause Global Edmonton posted an article about it.

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 10, 2013 10:41:18 AM

3. What's the point of this when we ourselves use and condone the word? Stop being hypocritical. Just the other day, heaps of gay posters were trying to give Azealia Banks a pass on the word she used to describe Perez Hilton.

Hypocrisy, don't you think?

Posted by: stephen lucas | Jan 10, 2013 10:43:02 AM

4. Uh...okay. Belonsky criticizes the word "faggot" as something "terrible" but then puts that photo of himself on Bilerico with his head luxuriously thrown back and his mouth wide open like Marilyn Monroe.

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 10, 2013 10:52:21 AM

5. Because context matters, Stephen. The word itself isn't the issue. The issue is that the word is disrespected, abused, used to hate. Although I disagree that racial and sexist slurs have been eliminated. The n-word and c-word are still used in regularity. In fact I hear both in my every day life than the f-bomb.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 10, 2013 11:09:55 AM

6. Well I don't use or condone that word. None of my friends sit around calling each other slurs. But then I don't hang around trash.

Posted by: ELI | Jan 10, 2013 11:14:36 AM

7. Andrew, all of your posts have some sort of weird, off-center frame thing going on. Is your alignment off?

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | Jan 10, 2013 11:33:00 AM

8. I am a firm believer that words only have the power we give them. In my experience, I have found that most people using the F-word are almost never referring to gays or effeminate behavior but to something they consider lame or stupid. Gay people don't come into the thought process. Rather than clinging to the idea that we are being wronged, let's embrace the obvious transition of the definition and accept the transformative nature of vocabulary and the zeitgeist. This would have a two-fold effect, on one hand it would take the power away from those who DO use it as a gay slur and on the other the word would no longer be negatively associated with gays. I have found that laughing at someone and disregarding their anger is a lot more galling than trying to police their vocabulary and restrict word usage.

On the other hand, I am lucky enough to have very rarely had that word used against me in anger and hate. I can certainly see how someone who has had many negative experiences being called f*@got would want to completely erase it from existence. So once again it comes down to word policing and the question; Who gets to decide what words are acceptable and which aren't and in what context?

Posted by: cdubois | Jan 10, 2013 12:10:58 PM

9. Please. I use the F word where appropriate and I'm homo. But seriously, you can't legislate away a word. And if it's banned it will only be that much cooler and edgy to use.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 10, 2013 2:23:58 PM

10. No, you can't 'legislate' a word and obviously language changes and evolves, but isn't it rather silly to deny that one of things that MAKES it evolve is education campaigns like this one? You spread the message that the word "f*ggot" is no longer acceptable and fewer people use it. And when people DO use it they start to notice discomfort from their audience, which makes the speaker feel defensive. The one day they say it and someone finally SAYS, "You know what? I really don't like that word and you shouldn't use it." Maybe they keep using it for a while in defiance of "PC" but it becomes less often and eventually they stop.

Doesn't that pretty much mirror the evolution of the "n-word"? Why would "f*ggot" be immune to the same thing?

You're completely ignoring the fact that language evolves in response to societal forces, which in part come about because of ads like this one. It doesn't happen in a vacuum and the attitude "Why bother? It'll never change" pretty much guarantees that it WON'T change.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 10, 2013 3:13:01 PM

11. spot-on, Caliban.

i once knew a guy who defended his use of those words, with an attitude of "if you don't like it then dont' hang out with me"

eventually he was left completely and utterly alone, with only his "words" for company.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 10, 2013 3:20:12 PM

12. This Queer never, ever uses the "f" word in any of its forms or contexts. I also don't know of any other Queer people who use the "f" word in any of its forms or contexts. It's as ugly a word as the "n" word. Its utterance denotes hatred and bigotry and violence.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 10, 2013 3:41:22 PM

13. People won't let go of saying "Faggot" until they find a word that's even MORE offensive and insulting to use.

Posted by: jexer | Jan 10, 2013 4:21:45 PM

14. Caliban put it perfectly.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 10, 2013 6:32:00 PM

15. I think 'f----t' should be treated like all other words in its category. Currently that means censoring it.

But I also think censorship isn't the answer for any of these words (for any audience).

I don't want people being censored if they want to call someone 'f----t'. We should all see that, hear it, know it, and then dismiss it.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 11, 2013 11:17:31 AM