Chris Culliver | Football (American) | News | NFL | Sports

San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver Faces Media After Anti-Gay Remarks: VIDEO

Chris_culliver

San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver faced members of the media this morning following outrage over remarks he made in an Artie Lange radio interview that a gay teammate would not be welcome on the 49ers or in the NFL, and a half-hearted apology that followed.

Asked how he is feeling, a sullen Culliver replied: "Just emotional, that's it...Apologetic."

Culliver was then asked what he was thinking when saying those things: "I was really just ... not thinking. It was something that I thought, but definitely not something I feel in my heart."

Culliver said he had spoken with Coach Jim Harbaugh, who earlier said he "rejected" the player's remarks: "We talked privately... about the whole situation...just to learn and grow from it....like I said that's not what I feel in my heart, and he understands that."

Culliver was then asked if he would welcome a gay player, and gave this response: "If it is ... it is...everybody's treated equally in the locker room."

He said that he had not addressed his remarks with the team: "I'm not trying to bring anything trashy to the team."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: Culliver also talked with SI, and says he has gay relatives:

“It’s been very difficult because I’m a little disappointed,” said Culliver of the past 24 hours or so. “(People think) that I don’t like homosexuals and I don’t support gay communities and things like that, which I do. I have gay relatives who I talk to, not on a daily basis, but I do and I support them.”

Culliver’s teammate, Donte Whitner, said that he had a brief talk with Culliver to tell him what to expect at Thursday’s media availability. Whitner also said that “I guarantee (Culliver) has learned his lesson now.”

While the 49ers have distanced themselves from the remarks, there has been no reaction from the NFL, which, at this point means they condone Culliver's homophobia.

Earlier updates...
It's Time for the NFL to Do Something About Homophobia: VIDEO
Signorile: NFL Must Suspend Chris Culliver for Anti-Gay Remarks [tr]
Outed Former SF 49er Kwame Harris Denounces Culliver's Anti-Gay Remarks [tr]
SF 49er Chris Culliver on Anti-Gay Remarks: 'I Apologize to Those I Have Offended' [tr]
SF 49er Chris Culliver: Gays Not Welcome in the Locker Room or the NFL - AUDIO [tr]

Comments

1. How many articles has Towleroad posted about this now?!

Posted by: CS9 | Jan 31, 2013 12:36:40 PM

2. This guy is just honest about what every straight jock thinks. He shouldn't be punished for telling the truth. The only way in which he is not typical is he has said what he did publicly. If you are to punish him, why not just eliminate sports; because to eliminate homophobia from sports, one has to eliminate sports. They are to intertwined to be separated at this point.

Posted by: NullNaught | Jan 31, 2013 12:39:27 PM

3. I would welcome Chris Culliver's firing.

Posted by: Glenn I | Jan 31, 2013 12:40:36 PM

4. @Nullnaught: Homophobia is too intertwined with sports to be separated? Ridiculous. The same could have been said about racism in sports pre-Jackie Robinson.

Posted by: RyanInWyo | Jan 31, 2013 12:43:07 PM

5. That's like saying racism and sports are "to intertwined" to justify that. How silly.

Posted by: Mikey | Jan 31, 2013 12:43:16 PM

6. I call BULL SH*T! This guy was caught being honest. You can't backpedal this kind of stuff.

Posted by: MT | Jan 31, 2013 12:49:59 PM

7. The locker room isn't a place where race is going to matter, but sexual preference to homophobic players (all the straight ones) does matter in the locker room. It isn't something they will get over.

Posted by: NullNaught | Jan 31, 2013 12:50:47 PM

8. quote: which, at this point means they condone Culliver's homophobia.

No, no and no. I don't agree. What it 'may' mean is they are considering options and taking time to make a rational decision. Why look to the negative? Knee-jerk responses are almost always regretted to some extent. I think a few days to mull things over, gauge reactions, thoughtfully weigh in, ... is a good thing.

Posted by: iowan | Jan 31, 2013 12:51:32 PM

9. It's unfortunate that he is so stupid. When he made the remarks it was very easy to see that he believed in them. He spoke comfortably and off the cuff.

He is stupid because he can't step outside the situation and evaluate his own position. Lets face it the homophobia position is one of shame and embarrassment, that's why there is no good argument for it and that's why homophobes are so damn defensive and dismissive of it when 'caught'. This guy needs a person he respects to break down his own views so that this dummy can find his own way to enlightenment (Which is a terrible word).

I don't really care that he is ignorant about gays, that is hardly a crime or an unexpected outcome. I just want him to decide that he was wrong. If that happens he would apologize in a convincing way, which for him could be anything but whatever, as long as he believes it!

Posted by: Fensox | Jan 31, 2013 12:53:06 PM

10. Most of the news outlets reported as Culliver “gays are unwelcomed in the locker“. He actually said “ they[gays] gotta get up out of here“.

Posted by: MalaysianHo | Jan 31, 2013 12:56:47 PM

11. YOU dont get with the gays and come out on top , y`all hear!

Posted by: MalaysianHo | Jan 31, 2013 12:57:26 PM

12. "Caught being honest" captures the situation.

People can unlearn their prejudices, but it takes education. Why not send him to a training camp for that purpose? Better yet, why not consider these types of trainings mandatory for the whole team.

There are plenty of "trainers" out there who would develop a team-wide training for a fraction of what is being spent on PR to address the bad publicity.

Maybe fines collected from players like him could fund these trainings.

Posted by: Fahd | Jan 31, 2013 12:57:40 PM

13. Do you honestly think the NFL will suspend or fine anybody 5 days before the Super Bowl

Posted by: thrutch | Jan 31, 2013 12:59:21 PM

14. RYANINWYO, you misunderstood NULLNAUGHT. What he meant was that if you want to eliminate racism, you have to execute the human race.

Posted by: MalaysianHo | Jan 31, 2013 12:59:53 PM

15. Nullnaught, I'm trying to figure out if you're trolling or not, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. When Jackie Robinson broke the color line in 1947, race mattered EVERYWHERE. We're talking segregation of schools, lunch counters, toilet facilities, public swimming pools, and even water fountains.

Anyway, what exactly do you – or Culliver for that matter – envision going on in an NFL lockerroom? Take off street clothes, put on uniform, play game, come back, take off uniform, shower, put on street clothes, leave. It's not a Falcon video. Besides, this same ridiculous argument was made about the military and – guess what – that story is over. DADT was repealed. And the military, which is much more serious business than the NFL, still stands.

Posted by: RyanInWyo | Jan 31, 2013 12:59:58 PM

16. Glenn I ....Why??? Would you like to be fired from your job simply because you have an unpopular opinion?

Posted by: Ted | Jan 31, 2013 1:01:19 PM

17. CS9 - This is a very big story.

At least we can all get satisfaction out of knowing that--at this very moment--that guy is nervous as all hell. He's sweating bullets, seeing that his career could be over. All this because he said something anti-gay. It's nice to see us wield some power, isn't it?

Posted by: brian | Jan 31, 2013 1:04:11 PM

18. @Ryaninwyo

Consider me a troll, like I care.

I didn't mean that there wasn't racism in the locker room... I meant that gay guys like to see other guys nude and homophobic straight guys don't like that... The racism/homophobia analogy is not apt. You are ignoring the fact that nudity is per se sexual in our culture. Especially because of things like Falcon videos. It is not what happens, it is is what homophobic players think people believe about them that matters. They won't share a locker room with a gay man.

Posted by: NullNaught | Jan 31, 2013 1:06:43 PM

19. The thing to take away from this is that ten years ago Culliver would have been applauded. Times have changed and for the better.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jan 31, 2013 1:07:39 PM

20. @ NULLNAUGHT :
    Of course one can eliminate homophobia from sports. ......otherwise you offer a counsel of despair.

Eliminating homophobia from sports is achieved by education, ( something which has escaped this Culliver clown) and growth.....eg by more and more sports men coming out.
    There must be so many who ought to be courageous enough to put this oaf in his place........among the bigots.
    @FAHD : I agree with your comment.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 31, 2013 1:11:58 PM

21. If Frank Gore can get fined $10,500 for letting his socks droop, this guy can get fined for his comments, especially after the 49ers are the first and ONLY team to produce an "It Gets Better" video.

Posted by: Edd | Jan 31, 2013 1:15:04 PM

22. So, gay men are good enough to serve in the military, but they can't be trusted in a locker room. These homophobic athletes are pampered, overpaid babies. They disgust me.

Posted by: Kevin | Jan 31, 2013 1:15:13 PM

23. CS9: because it is a story that is developing. New developments are happening every day, such as today's press conference. It's called "following" a story. Idiot.

Posted by: MATTMAN | Jan 31, 2013 1:18:10 PM

24. I agree with NullNaught in that sense. There are a few men that cannot help but ogle at women and they women do not feel comfortable with that, which is why women and men have separate lockers. If some straight men feel uncomfortable with gays looking at them, they can have separate lockers but all sexual preferences should be welcomed in sports.

Culliver doesnt have to be fired or suspended, but should to be fined and that fine should go directly to GLBT cause. He also needs to volunteer to work/interact with GLBT groups. I dont think he hates gays that much unlike other people who works their butt off to dehumanize gays and make sure gays dont exist.

Posted by: Post | Jan 31, 2013 1:19:54 PM

25. @nullnaught - seriously? These guys have been showering with other men for pretty much their entire lives. They are used to it and they have done it in front of gay dudes plenty of times and they know it. These are guys that are risking their lives every time they go out on the field. If they are willing to do that, pretty sure they can handle showering with dudes they know are checking them out.
    To generalize all of sports as a homophobic atmosphere that is unable to change is naive. Things are changing for the better and every conversation and every incident of this nature helps that change. It keeps the discussion alive. The progress that has been made in sports in the last few years has had an almost exponential pace to it.
    Try and live in a world where you have hope for change rather than thinking change will never occur. It's a much better way to live life.

Posted by: Jono | Jan 31, 2013 1:20:20 PM