Bill Cunningham | Fashion Men | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Memo from Bill Cunningham: Casual Fridays for Men are Over - VIDEO

Cunningham

The NYT fashion 'Man on the Street' icon Bill Cunningham says he's noticing something out there in men's fashion he hasn't seen since the early 1950's.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. That's because the suits LOOK BETTER. I'm so glad the men's styles of the 1950's and '60's are back. "Casual Fridays" are great if the formal styles suck. And the formal styles sucked for most of the 1990's.

Posted by: Doc Marten | Jan 9, 2013 6:30:19 PM

2. I love it when Bill gets excited. He is such a treasure.

Posted by: hugo | Jan 9, 2013 6:31:45 PM

3. Like Bill or the NYT is relevant to......anything..

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 9, 2013 6:38:07 PM

4. ohmygod uguyz yay who cares.

Posted by: Lucas | Jan 9, 2013 6:38:29 PM

5. And look at the ridiculous bags those guys are lugging.

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 9, 2013 6:40:13 PM

6. Uh well hell, he's in Manhattan!!! I'm sure all pictured are pulling in 6 figures, so they can afford it! If I could dress like that EVERY day I would too.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jan 9, 2013 6:45:08 PM

7. I wish i could wear such clothing but on the West Coast it is never cold enough to wear a suit... ever, and as was pointed out on The Oatmeal, it will make you look like you work at JC Penny.

Posted by: Nate | Jan 9, 2013 7:06:57 PM

8. Huell Howser's gone -- but we still have Bill!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 9, 2013 7:07:24 PM

9. If anyone can say "they have seen it all", it is Bill Cunnimgham. What a treasured being.

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 9, 2013 7:17:53 PM

10. Young DC looks this way too - fashion forward!

Posted by: Reality | Jan 9, 2013 7:31:33 PM

11. love the guy with the yellow gloves....

Posted by: steve | Jan 9, 2013 7:39:47 PM

12. I've been seeing this in San Francisco as well, at least among guys in their 20s/early 30s in the non-tech professions.

Posted by: John | Jan 9, 2013 7:41:44 PM

13. It looks like the guy in the middle of the picture (talking on his phone) is in jeans to me. And yeah, what's with the long-strapped murses?

Posted by: Fix It Again Tony | Jan 9, 2013 7:42:14 PM

14. I love to dress up, but the weather and the culture in L.A. are just not made for it in nearly the same way as in New York or D.C. (or even San Francisco). That's too bad ... but I'll gladly accept the tradeoff - beautiful weather almost every day of the year ... and many parts of town where the typical outfit for men is shorts ... and nothing else.

Posted by: Zlick | Jan 9, 2013 7:47:47 PM

15. I don't buy his comment that nothing is screaming. Uh, the yellow gloves, the monogrammed slippers, the full-length fur coat. . . .

Posted by: martin | Jan 9, 2013 8:25:34 PM

16. clearly cunningham's never worked for a movie studio (he hasn't). the one where i worked was so casual all the time that at one point, a group of interns decided to do "fancy friday" in response.

Posted by: alguien | Jan 9, 2013 8:26:47 PM

17. The Coats may not shout but those skinny jeans, jeggings and Pee Wee Herman fitted suits scream FASHION VICTIM! Those people will look back at photos of themselves in these get ups and shudder in a couple of years. Mostly ridiculous, but the top coats were no so bad.

Posted by: KevinSF | Jan 9, 2013 8:41:44 PM

18. Thanks for the laugh!

Posted by: Bill | Jan 9, 2013 8:42:32 PM

19. KevinSF : You're right. Although it's a mixed bag overall, a lot of it does look too Pee Wee Herman. (Which is a look that's GREAT on Pee Wee Herman, but not on other guys..)

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 9, 2013 8:50:08 PM

20. I remember the days of obligatory suits as work wear, and never want to return to them.

If fashionistas want to wear suits to work, I'll support them all the way - as long as management doesn't decide that the rest of us have to endure the discomfort and expense of suits too.

They're as sensible as powdered wigs were, long ago. Or codpieces. Or neck-ruffs.

Posted by: E. Manhattan | Jan 9, 2013 9:55:48 PM

21. I don't care if guys start wearing suits, I'll just be glad when saggy pants that are several sizes too big disappear forever. That has got to be the least flattering look I have ever seen.

Posted by: Chadd | Jan 9, 2013 10:18:32 PM

22. My boss of 2 years has sort of forced on our legal staff the notion that it is appropriate for an attorney to wear a suit or at the very least a tie. I try to predict who i will be around that day and sometimes dress accordingly. I don't like wearing suits and as @E Manhattan said they're not practical. But I can't escape the fact that it does have an affect on my professional demeanor. When I wear a suit to work it broadcasts to everyone - including me - that i have certain professional responsibilities and must endeavor to perform at my personal best.

Posted by: Markt | Jan 9, 2013 10:33:03 PM

23. If I want to dress up, I'll put on clean jeans.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jan 9, 2013 10:37:32 PM

24. no professional is sloppier than marketing, but when i dress in traditional professional drag i find i get more attention and more respect from peers as well as clients.
    i am never uncomfortable wearing a tie because my collars are the right size.
    no jeans are comfortable except mom jeans.

Posted by: eric | Jan 9, 2013 10:54:26 PM

25. This could be the glorious moment I've waited for my entire life, where straight men waste their money dressing up, and gay men visually distinguish ourselves by finally relaxing. It's overdue.

Every day is Friday!