Great Britain | News | Senegal

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Senegalese Man Fears for Life Over Britain Deportation Threats

An ongoing case in which Britain is telling a Senegalese man he must prove he's gay or be deported back to his home country where he faces violence highlights "the injustices faced by those seeking asylum," according to a UK National Union of Students leader.

MbengueThe Guardian reports:

Serigne Tacko Mbengue, who studies at Newham College in east London, and is a LGBT campaigner for the NUS, fled to the UK in 2008 to escape homophobic persecution. But the 26-year-old is still going through the appeal process four years later because the Home Office doesn't believe he is gay.

Around 40 supporters turned up outside his hearing in London on Wednesday, only for the case to be adjourned for the second time in three months. It was rescheduled due to new evidence revealing physical and emotional scars from two attacks he suffered in Senegal because of his sexuality.

The west African state remains a dangerous place for homosexuals — anyone caught will face a prison sentence of up to five years.

Mbengue says: "I'm a very outspoken gay man. I'm not going back to Senegal. If I do, I will be a dead body."

Comments

1. I'm sorry, but it is absolutely ridiculous for any government to consider granting anyone asylum because they will be "persecuted" for their sexual orientation.

This guy claims he "suffered physical attacks" because he is gay in Senegal. Oh, really? And I suppose such attacks never occur in Britain?

And what is the West supposed to do?....allow 600 million gay people from the Third World to immigrate in order to escape "persecution".

Ridiculous--absolutely ridiculous--and just another example of Third World miscreants trying to use a guilt trip to be allowed to immigrate.

These people should be sent back to their home countries and should do the hard work to change their socieities, just as those of us who live in Western countries have had to do.

Posted by: Rick/ | Jan 11, 2013 11:42:52 AM

2. ^Oh Rick. Such an old poopy grouch. Please just go away and STFU.

Posted by: jtramon | Jan 11, 2013 12:06:33 PM

3. While I wouldn't use the same language as Rick, I echo his sentiment. Why must the West ALWAYS be the world's policeman? Why is our responsibility for what goes on in these backward societies of Africa and the Islamic world? And why must we bear the financial burden of all this?

The arguments of "the legacy of colonialism" and just constantly calling everyone a "racist" are getting SO old and tired. When will these countries ever get their act together? When will they take some personal responsibility? Sadly, the answer is probably never. They're in the Stone Age and they'll forever be stuck in the Stone Age.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 11, 2013 12:21:02 PM

4. Lil' C*unt [AKA Lil' Kiwi],

STOP TROLLING. STOP TROLLING. STOP TROLLING. STOP TROLLING.

================

Abuse of refugee status is very widespread in western countries. Most people who claim refugee status are no more than economic refugees. They know simply that their life economically would be far better in a western country. I don't blame them and sympathize. I'm not sure how you prove to a immigrations official that you really are gay. It would appear this guy is sincere, I hope the British allow him to stay. But I understand why they are so careful dealing with this kind of stuff. British people pay a fortune in taxes and have a right to control who immigrates to their country and under what conditions. MANY refugees and immigrants get expensive social welfare benefits.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 11, 2013 12:38:50 PM

5. Rick, that's pretty much the same reasoning the US and many other countries used for not accepting Jewish refugees from Germany or other parts of Europe during the lead up to the Holocaust. In fact, not only did we not accept more Jewish refugees in the mid to late 1930s, we allowed fewer in, didn't even bring in all the immigrants that the law allowed.

If you send someone back to their country of origin knowing full well they might be murdered there or even "just" subjected to inhumane punishments, you become complicit in the act. And given that this guy is a college student and LGBT activist it doesn't seem likely he's faking.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 11, 2013 1:56:26 PM

6. @CALIBAN To equate garden-variety homophobia with the Holocaust is beyond ridiculous, even for the most extreme on the Far Left. Not even in the most backwards countries in Africa are gay people routinely murdered just for being gay or for being activists. Guys like this prey on the ignorance of many in the West, who have very little first-hand familiarity with Third World countries...and who like to make themselves feel smug about their own countries.....by spinning wildly exaggerated tales like this.

Just like some of you believe that gay people are being stoned to death on a daily basis in the Middle East, when, in reality--as those of us know who have actually spent time in the region--sexual activity among men is rampant, easy to come by if you are a foreign visitor, and unlikely to get you into any trouble whatsoever, as long as you are reasonably discreet about it.

Regardless, even if people all over the world were in danger of being killed for being gay, the solution would never be to re-settle the entire gay population of the world in the US and Europe.

Let's be real. Please.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 11, 2013 2:18:43 PM

7. Rick, apparently you can't READ. Imprisonment is a very REAL possibility and gays in Africa are subject to mob violence, quite frequently beaten and murdered. That isn't an exaggeration in the least.

Now if this was a discussion about sending YOU to Africa or the Middle East to enjoy the safe and carefree gay life there I admit I'd have to give it a little more thought, though I'd like to think eventually my more humane side would prevail, no matter how little you deserve it.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 11, 2013 2:30:34 PM

8. Have you ever been to Africa or the Middle East, Caliban? (and I don'e mean Israel)

That's what I thought.

For the record, I, myself have spent a good two full years of my life in Africa (including significant amounts of time in East, West, and southern Africa) and a good six months more in the Middle East (and more still in other Islamic countries like Indonesia and Bangladesh).

Posted by: Rick | Jan 11, 2013 2:40:43 PM

9. Please, Rick, you big nabob, tell us about your adventures in the savage lands. You seem to know everything. I'm sure you have statistics on exactly how many people are killed in these regions for their homosexuality.

Posted by: Eric26 | Jan 11, 2013 2:46:42 PM

10. Asylum is nothing new; it has been recognized since time immemorial (ancient Egypt, etc).

Since 1951, numerous countries have signed the Refugee conventions that give a right of asylum for people who are persecuted due to certain charateristics, including race, politics, religion and "other status." Several Western countries have been recognizing that this includes sexual orientation.

Asylum is a basic humanitarian value. Anyone who believes in human rights must also believe in the right of asylum. The alternative is letting millions of people be killed, as in the Nazi Holocaust, the Rwandan genocide, the Cambodian genocide, the Srebrenica genocide, etc. An anti-gay genocide is arguably now occurring in Iraq and some Islamic republics.

Of course, it would be best to prevent persecution and genocide, but this is not always possible. There is no reason to believe that denying asylum would stop persecution and genocide.

Posted by: F Young | Jan 11, 2013 3:35:56 PM

11. @Rick "Not even in the most backwards countries in Africa are gay people routinely murdered just for being gay or for being activists."

Actually, that is exactly what is happening in Senegal, Iraq and a few other countries.

Posted by: F Young | Jan 11, 2013 3:39:34 PM

12. Why do you all keep feeding Rick the obvious troll?

Posted by: MateoM | Jan 11, 2013 5:23:49 PM

13. I think what Rick (and some others) are saying in a somewhat less tactful way is that gay people are perscuted HERE and in really every country, including Britain, where gay people exist. We've seen articles on this website about gays in Africa and other developing nations who are STANDING UP and being counted, even at the risk of death, JUST LIKE THOSE IN THE BEGINNING OF THE FIGHT DID IN THE US. Why shouldn't a gay Senagelse ACTIVIST do any less? Isn't he more vital to the fight in Senagal? Just saying "well it might be tougher in my own country" is simply not enough. None of the activist in the early days of the fight here in the US said "well, I'll just migrate somewhere else". They stayed and fought. Why can't this guy do the same?

Posted by: Marty | Jan 11, 2013 5:36:28 PM

14. You are right, Marty--I was not as tactful as I should have been and you said it much better than I did. I guess I have seen so much tomfoolery in the immigration process in this country that I tend to lose my temper when I hear about a case like this.

Thanks.