Hawaii | News

Honolulu Mayor Pulls Former Councilman's Nomination to Ethics Board After Firestorm Over Anti-Gay Remarks: VIDEOS

Okino

A former Honolulu City Councilman campaigning for a spot on the Ethics Board of Appeals had his nomination withdrawn by Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell over the weekend after outrage over an interview gave at a Executive Matters and Legal Affairs Committee meeting last week about his views toward gays.

Said Okino at the meeting:

"First of all I have to say that tolerance is not a virtue. Are you tolerant of murder? Are you tolerant of drug abuse? No you're not. So I have no tolerance for homosexuality and I get accused of being intolerant. Is it good? Is it bad? Intolerance is relative...It's not only that we're against stealing, against drug abuse. But the divine law says that same sex marriage and homosexuality is not pono. It's not right, it's immoral, it's deviant. There is an outbreak now of anal, penile and throat cancers among the homosexual community. Okay it's proven study after study that emotionally, psychologically, socially homosexuals are the mostly negatively impacted of all segments in the community. There is a negative impact on families and children. Our children are imperiled by that."

Reaction was immediate. Okino is now apologizing:

"In my overzealousness to respond to the allegations made against me by the testifiers (at) the committee meeting, I now realize that I may have unintentionally hurt the very people I was trying to help. To my gay brothers and sisters and their supporters, I deeply apologize if my words were hurtful rather than helpful. That was not my intent. In my eagerness to express what we believe is right and what is wrong, I had forgotten that we truly do belong to a loving God, and that He also asks us to treat people with the love, reverence and dignity that they deserve."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. HAHAHAHAHAHA, Nice 180 there.
    "No pono" should be the Hawaiian "no homo".

Posted by: Hugh | Jan 28, 2013 12:44:26 PM

2. Your god is a figment of your own imagination. Stop trying to blame your bigotry on something that doesn't exist, and then use the same imaginary friend to apologize.

Posted by: Rich F. | Jan 28, 2013 12:44:40 PM

3. What a load of crap. In his messed up worldview the only way he is trying to "help" people is converting them to fundamentalist Christianity and heterosexuality in order to prevent them for being tortured forever in hell.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 28, 2013 12:45:28 PM

4. B.S.

Posted by: trees | Jan 28, 2013 12:45:53 PM

5. Oh please. What a transparent ploy on his part to "apologize." He got caught showing his bigotry and now that he's being held accountable for it, he talks about "love."

Posted by: atomic | Jan 28, 2013 12:46:40 PM

6. These holy rollers always confuse "a loving God" with pity for those unfortunate sinning homosexuals. Not actual acceptance.

This guy should not be allowed near anything representing citizens -- who all have equal, secular civil rights -- but especially not an Ethics Committee. You have to have some ethics first.

Posted by: Strepsi | Jan 28, 2013 12:51:45 PM

7. he's right, partly.

i refuse to be tolerant of ideologies and religious beliefs that hinge entirely on being intolerant to those that are merely "different" from them.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 28, 2013 12:52:40 PM

8. Another bigoted "nonapology." "MAY have UNINTENTIONALLY hurt?". "I apologize IF I offended?". This sorry excuse for a human being does not deserve even to live in our aloha state, let alone contaminate our government with his hateful presence.

Posted by: Paul in Honolulu | Jan 28, 2013 12:56:11 PM

9. Sort of like the Christians of the 19th century "loved" the Hawaiian people so much they subjugated them.

Posted by: BobN | Jan 28, 2013 1:02:27 PM

10. Your "loving God" brought rape and disease with him when Christians first came to Hawaii.

Posted by: brian | Jan 28, 2013 1:08:42 PM

11. of course a Brainwashed Moron like him - FORGETS that IT WAS the White man who came to Hawaii and brought DEATH with them in 2 ways: 1) disease / small pox I think
    2) religion - to STEAL the Hawaiian's way of life,and thier culture from them.

Posted by: disgusted american | Jan 28, 2013 1:18:55 PM

12. "To my gay brothers and sisters and their supporters"?

Kiss my @ss. You never were their "brother" and you never will be. You're just another hateful old f*ck the planet will be better off without.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 28, 2013 1:35:09 PM

13. What TOTALLY ridiculous that no one on the council spoke or even questioned his intolerance and hatred some even praising him.
    TOTAL FAIL

Posted by: MCnNYC | Jan 28, 2013 1:48:28 PM

14. My husband is from Hawaii and a professor of architecture with the UOH for four year. My grandparents have lived in the small town of Volcano, Hawaii (Big Island) for decades but as a child who traveled to/from Hawaii every summer I can tell you being openly gay is as bad as it is in many backward states.

Look, in my book, if you step forward publicly and degrade and belittle gay people while you seek appointment to a public position then you deserve to be denied big time. This guy should not be in any position to issue any kind of public policy whatsoever. The gall here is that he is seeking a position on the Ethics Board of Appeals. NO WAY!

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jan 28, 2013 2:11:00 PM

15. Considering that christianity destroyed, corrupted, polluted Hawaiian culture and Hawaiian people, it serves this idiot right that he's been kicked off the Ethics Board.

Christianity has destroyed, corrupted, polluted Polynesian culture, native American culture, Andean culture, the Mexica, the Maya--in short, christianity is a cancer to the human cultural experience.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 28, 2013 2:15:35 PM

16. TOO LATE! BYE

Posted by: Curt | Jan 28, 2013 2:21:15 PM

17. @JAMAL49 -- to be fair, they were hardly arranging plants and singing Kumbaya when the Christians came.

The Incan religion involved binding the soft heads of upper class kids so it grew into a desirable cone-shape, and teaching them that the best thing that could possibly happen to them would be to be sacrificed on top of a snow covered volcano. The Mayan culture involved sacred bloodletting using a strand of thorns through the tongue and penis. These religions, as well as Polynesian and Caribe, had degrees of cannibalism.

So, in conclusion, ALL religion is pretty f***ed up.

Posted by: Strepsi | Jan 28, 2013 2:22:38 PM

18. "I now realize that I may have unintentionally hurt... I deeply apologize if my words were hurtful.."

Apologies with the word "may" and "if" are never sincere. They suggest that prejudice is somehow relative.

F*** off.

Posted by: Cburg | Jan 28, 2013 2:52:03 PM

19. "I may have unintentionally hurt the very people I hate and fear. LOL!"

Posted by: Glenn I | Jan 28, 2013 3:27:27 PM

20. @Strepsi: You apparently believe facts mean anything on this topic. Sorry to disappoint you.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Jan 28, 2013 3:58:58 PM

21. Okino is an idiot. He once sat on the Honolulu City Council and was quoted in our local paper saying that bibical law trumps civil law.

To the curb with this guy!

Posted by: Kevin-in-Honolulu | Jan 28, 2013 8:50:35 PM

22. F*ck him and every ass*ole like him

Posted by: Alvin | Jan 28, 2013 9:17:52 PM

23. Okino's apology would have been more convincing if he had just pretended that his earlier remarks were just parody.

Posted by: Buckie | Jan 28, 2013 9:44:40 PM

24. Another Papist puppet brought to his knees by his own words. Ha ha.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Jan 28, 2013 9:48:54 PM

25. Just how stupid is Kirk Caldwell, who nominated this loser?

Seriously. This guy didn't get to be a moron overnight. He was about to be booted out of the Dem party for his support of Repubs, so he quit instead, he's a known christian conservative, yet that's okay with Caldwell for the Ethics Board? Why on earth would Caldwell have nominated him?

Posted by: Tatts | Jan 28, 2013 9:54:55 PM