Bryan Fischer | DOMA | Gay Marriage | News | Rand Paul

Rand Paul: 'I Don't Understand' Gay Marriage - VIDEO

Paul_fischer

Senator Rand Paul called into AFA hate group leader Bryan Fischer's radio show yesterday to talk about a variety of topics, but, given Fischer's obsession with gays, it eventually swung around to that, Raw Story reports:

“I believe in traditional marriage,” he said during an interview with Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association. “I really don’t understand any other kind of marriage. Between a man and a woman is what I believe in, and I just don’t think it is good for us to change the definition of that.”

Paul noted that his state, Kentucky, had approved a constitutional amendment to prohibit same-sex marriage. He said he was “not sure” about DOMA, but warned the federal law could result in conservatives losing “the battle for the whole country.”

Paul said marriage rights should be decided state-by-state rather than nationally so that “urban centers” couldn’t dictate the law.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hell, I don't understand acolytes of Ayn Rand. I don't understand how people like that can be such selfish assholes. You don't have to "understand" marriage equality. It's the LEGAL right to marriage. And if you don't understand the concept of legal rights, perhaps you're just too goddamned stupid to be in government service.

Posted by: Terry | Jan 31, 2013 9:00:35 AM

2. Obviously "Rand Doll" doesn't understand a lot of things. It's his problem. No gay person anywhere is obliged to validate their existence to anyone at anytime. It's clearly the hater's issue - not yours. As the Bible teaches "shake off the dust of your feet" and keep moving baby! (Matthew 10:14)

Posted by: Bill | Jan 31, 2013 9:04:40 AM

3. Ayn Rand died on welfare, of lung cancer caused by obsessive smoking caused by her utter failure to love or be loved by another human being.

Posted by: Charlie | Jan 31, 2013 9:14:59 AM

4. I don't understand people named Paul.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 31, 2013 9:17:01 AM

5. If you don't understand it, you have no business having any sort of influence over it!

Posted by: MT | Jan 31, 2013 9:26:12 AM

6. Those two don't understand much at all, that's the problem.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 31, 2013 9:38:56 AM

7. "Urban Centers"? So that's how a senator says "them city folk"? Rednecks like Paul are always distrustful of folks in "urban centers" that are way more educated and intelligent. Their self-perceived inferiority is what drives their distrust and bigotry.

Posted by: Joe | Jan 31, 2013 9:39:21 AM

8. "Urban centers" is a new code word. Expect to hear it a lot. It must be testing well.

That's the same phrase being used in Michigan in order to change how electors are sent to the Electoral College.

Posted by: Frank Butterfield | Jan 31, 2013 9:51:15 AM

9. I don't understand his religion but I would never try to make it illegal for him to practice his religion.

Posted by: Andy | Jan 31, 2013 9:55:36 AM

10. So now he calls into a program aired by a designated hate group? I hope Rand is tarred and feathered with this.

Posted by: QJ201 | Jan 31, 2013 10:02:27 AM

11. Rand doesn't understand marriage equality? Maybe he can find the answer in Turkey. We'd better get Hillary on it right away.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jan 31, 2013 10:41:26 AM

12. It's interesting : Republicans seem to wait until the 'tipping point' where they are forced to give up their prejudiced views to get votes. The GOP loses in two elections and suddenly he's aaalll about embracing ethnic minorities. Why? Because they need votes, obviously, they have no choice!

It's interesting, that he doesn't really have to give any justification for his discriminatory views on marriage except 'I don't understand gay marriage, so I don't like it and want to keep things traditional, so I'm against it'.

It also makes me think about the biased slant of the term 'traditional marriage'. The word 'traditional' immediately makes it sound like 'a time-honored tradition that America should preserve', like pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, or like the 4th of July, like something that must always be protected. It's actually the best term for saying 'defend the status quo at all costs, just because it's tradition'.

Next time someone says that, I'm going to say 'oh, sorry, did you mean to say Discriminatory Marriage?' 'Oh, sorry, did you mean to say 'Only Heterosexuals Marriage?'. Because that's literally what it is, it's a blatantly more accurate term, and discrimination doesn't really deserve to be covered up by the word 'tradition'...

Posted by: HOCKEYJOCK | Jan 31, 2013 10:52:01 AM

13. Ok, so SSM isn't Paul's "thing". No news there. Now this part I found to be interesting:

"He said he was 'not sure' about DOMA, but warned the federal law could result in conservatives losing 'the battle for the whole country.'"

I'm seeing more hints like this from Republicans, almost as if they seem to know what the end result is going to be about marriage equality in this country regardless of how SCOTUS rules this year. Interesting...

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Jan 31, 2013 11:05:59 AM

14. This is a refrain I have heard many times from those who argue against gay people's rights:. I've heard assertions like these:
    "But we don't understand homosexuality."
    "We don't know how a same-sex household works."
    "We don't understand who would do the cooking and cleaning if there are two men."

And then they claim to have strong opinions against this concept that they do not understand.
    My response is: Well, I understand how same-sex relationships work perfectly well, and everyone who does understand it supports equal rights. How about you abstain from having opinions on things about which you know so little!

(And still, I can't help but think: What is there to not understand? I understood it in kindergarten, and so can practically any 5-year-old. Unless you've been brainwashed with misinformation, It's no more complicated than understsnding that some people marry someone tall and some people marry someone short.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 31, 2013 11:09:43 AM

15. There is an old saying, 'Men marry for sex, women marry for security."

While I don't know if it benefits us to understand straight men, I think we can see how they would not understand marriage if one didn't need to marry to get what he wants out of life. We've been sold this lovey-dovey marriage crap for going on two centuries, when in the past such decisions were made by parents along class lines based on economic strategy rather than "love".

My observation is that straight men do not, as a rule, think very highly of straight women including their spouses. There is a suspect relationship generated by the way heterosexual females trade in sex. They may draw a line between prostitution and marriage, but for some the line in thinner than others. Moreover, straight men need marriage to hold title to their children and increasingly it seems that straight women marry simply to procreate and then file for divorce. So I really don't find it all that surprising that Rand Paul doesn't understand why someone would volunteer to be married if he doesn't have to.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jan 31, 2013 11:17:43 AM

16. Oh, Rand, you don't "understand?" OK, let me spell it out for you with very small words and simple sentences, so your pea-brain might eventually grasp the concept:

Two people love each other. They want to take care of each other. They make a promise to always be there for each other. They pool their resources and assets. The law (if not the church) now sees them as a single unit, or package deal.

Was that so hard?

Posted by: Dback | Jan 31, 2013 11:21:08 AM

17. Poor chia-haired Libertarian moron can't "understand" same-sex marriage?! I thought Libertarians were supposed to be so damned smart...!!

Even given that this idiot represents Kentucky, one of the U.S.'s more backwards and intelligence-hostile states, that's a bit hard to accept. My nieces accepted me and my now-husband as just another happy couple way back when they were 4, for Gawd's sake!

Just like I always say: Libertarianism is extreme right-wing conservative selfish dogma, with legalized marijuana, that appeals to stupid men with the emotional maturity of thirteen year old boys and over-inflated senses of self-worth and superiority. Just what you'd expect to be invented by a Russian-born egomaniac and failed screenwriter who thought she was the most alluring and bewitchingly intelligent woman in the world (pictures of her hatchet-faced visage, and her novels, proving her wrong on both counts).

Posted by: One of the CA 36,000 | Jan 31, 2013 11:40:30 AM

18. that's odd. i have a seven year old niece who understands it perfectly.

perhaps they should switch places. she can join the US Senate, and he can finish the second grade.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 31, 2013 11:44:51 AM

19. I believe that gays are pushing their agenda unfairly onto America. Their goal seems to be not equal rights but getting Americans to approve of their "lifestyle".

What next, affirmative action for gays?
    Multiple partner gay marriage? Gay sex instruction in sex educations classes for children? They are already pushing the children's book King and King onto public schools. This is wrong.

Posted by: Mary Ann | Jan 31, 2013 11:55:27 AM

20. Mary Ann:

What a refreshing voice you are here on Towleroad.

Are you in the same facility at Bellevue Hospital where they keep Rick? Do they have a separate ward for women? Of course, they do. Rick would kill himself if they didn't.

I hope the Good Lord heals you soon. Let's pray on it, honey.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 31, 2013 12:13:20 PM

21. Mary Ann, I don't recall you stopping to get my approval of whatever cr*p you get up to, when you have sex, if and to whom you should marry, or how you raise your kids. So wt.f makes you think I or anyone else wants or needs your approval? Despite your extremely elevated opinion of yourself, you're just not that important. I don't give a f*ck what you think.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 31, 2013 12:20:05 PM

22. Rand: you're fired.

Posted by: Hillary | Jan 31, 2013 12:28:19 PM

23. I believe that the religious right is unfairly trying to push THEIR agenda onto America. And America in many places is pushing back!

Posted by: Tom in Long Beach | Jan 31, 2013 12:47:05 PM

24. Ah, Mary Anne,

How fun it must be to gish gallup down the slippery slopes. Careful you don't get backsplash from the lubricating Santorum.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jan 31, 2013 12:56:22 PM

25. What is the "gay lifestyle", anyway? It seems like all the things that the current generation-X & Y heterosexuals are doing.

Finish school. get a job. get a hip apartment. get a little black book. date. be social. go out. continue dating. don't marry young and don't have kids in your twenties or early-30s.

yes. everything i need to know about the Gay Lifestyle I learned from Sam Malone on CHEERS.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 31, 2013 1:02:36 PM