Jacob Rudolph | News | Thomas Roberts

BigGayDeal.com

NJ H.S. Senior Jacob Rudolph Talks to Thomas Roberts About His Viral Coming Out, Identifying as 'LGBT': VIDEO

Roberts_rudolph

Most of you have by now seen the video we posted earlier this week of NJ high school senior Jacob Rudolph's coming out to his entire class. One of the most striking aspects of the clip was the fact that Rudolph said "I'm LGBTT" rather than "I'm gay".

MSNBC's Thomas Roberts interviewed Rudolph today about the video, and his identification:

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. LGBTT? Fail. But thanks for the great graphic MSNBC!

He said "LGBT teen."

Posted by: rf7777 | Jan 25, 2013 1:55:49 PM

2. my heart beams!

ugh, love this kid. this is our future, and DAMMIT it's bright!

in advance: any miserable rebuttals made anonymously only prove this shining young vanguard right.

kiddo, you had betta WERK!

:D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 25, 2013 1:56:48 PM

3. Here we go again. In response to this, I'm just gonna repeat my favorite comment from the 5hit-storm that erupted on here the other day: "I'm BLT."

Posted by: AJ | Jan 25, 2013 1:59:54 PM

4. "I intended to come out as an LGBT and not say bisexual or gay or straight because I feel like those are the labels of the past. Especially in modern times when people are really questioning who they like and what they like I think that saying 'I'm bisexual', it could change in the future, I could be sexclusively for one sex or another. So I think that putting it in a more general term like LGBT is extraordinarily appropriate even though I'm not a lesbian or a transgender."

His first sentence is contradicted by his subsequent sentences.

What you are really aiming for, young man, is what I have been describing: a liberation of men from any kind of dependence on women--sexual, social, or emotional--and freedom to relate to another man in any way one chooses.

You are right to point out that you are not an L or a T and never will be....implying, correctly that they do not belong in the category I just described.

So the solution would be to discard the LGBT term, not embrace it......and replace it with a new term that represents male liberation.......

If you and your generation do THAT, THEN you will be discarding the past and embracing the future.....which you are not doing by embracing the myth of "LGBT"

Posted by: Rick | Jan 25, 2013 2:09:31 PM

5. How about just 'Queer'?

Posted by: Lars | Jan 25, 2013 2:11:37 PM

6. Hey I fought long and hard to be recognized for what I am GAY!!! lets not diminish that

Posted by: mrbill | Jan 25, 2013 2:11:54 PM

7. I'm loving the younger generation.

Posted by: Lazycrockett | Jan 25, 2013 2:15:19 PM

8. I would so love to meet Rick's mom. You know, the woman who expelled him from her vagina. The one without whom he wouldn't be on this journey of liberation.

If I could just talk to her...

Posted by: Lars | Jan 25, 2013 2:15:43 PM

9. let's see: a brave young teenager goes on television to proudly align himself with the diverse makeup of the LGBT Communities.

cowardly closeted grown-@ss men come online to anonymously complain about it.

yes, it's clear who's still suffering from "issues".

the Ricks of the world long for a specific revolution that will never come. why won't it ever come? because it's something only cowardly adult closet cases want, yet don't have the balls to Come Out, Visibly, and fight for.

Out gay men don't have the complaints and miseries the Rick-Gays have: that's the dominion of the miserable man who is furious that everyone else got over their insecurities, came out, and left them behind.

Not. Our. Problem.

Jacob Rudolph, you don't even know it yet, but you've saved lives.

thanks, little brother.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 25, 2013 2:18:53 PM

10. "...the 5hit-storm that erupted on here the other day"

Yes, AJ, I say that Mr Rudolf's answer just cleaned up a lot of that doodoo from yesterday (sorry I participated in that "mud slide").

But some people always leave a little mess on the back of the toilet seat. And we know who that is.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 25, 2013 2:24:19 PM

11. What's with the misogyny, Rick? It makes absolutely no damned sense.

Posted by: Rich F. | Jan 25, 2013 2:24:44 PM

12. "I would so love to meet Rick's mom. You know, the woman who expelled him from her vagina. The one without whom he wouldn't be on this journey of liberation.

If I could just talk to her..."

Just out of curiosity, Lars, would you also love to meet Gloria Steinem's dad? Or Bella Abzug's dad? Or the garden-variety radical lesbian-feminist's dad?

You know, the men without whom they would never have been on their respective journeys of liberation?

Posted by: Rick | Jan 25, 2013 2:30:21 PM

13. Such lovely, wise guy and I wish this young man all the best in the future.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 25, 2013 2:32:22 PM

14. how about you just post a video of yourself talking about this, Rick?

i mean JasonRickYuppUFFDA..did i miss any?

Rich F, we had a misunderstanding a few days ago. Troll here adopted "Rich" as another alias, my comments were in no way referring to you, brother.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 25, 2013 2:32:58 PM

15. Rick, are you equating yourself to being a leader of some sort of "men's liberation movement"? Please, on behalf of this man and men everywhere: DON'T do us any favors. We don't need the help of a rambling blowhard. You just make us look bad. Dear, you need to work out the issues you have with women.

Posted by: DAN | Jan 25, 2013 2:39:59 PM

16. I'm not even gonna weigh in on this. I was in a foul mood and extremely butt-hurt about work-related stuff the other day, hence my embarrassing tantrum. I NEVER get in internet comment fights.

To Jacob Rudolph: Kudos, kid. Good on you. Stay brave. Continue being an inspiration at your young age. Inspire others to come out in public, no matter how they word it. ;)

Posted by: AJ | Jan 25, 2013 2:41:50 PM

17. Dan, it's a "liberation movement" that exists solely from the un-liberated place of anonymous closetedness. that's why they're so miserable.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 25, 2013 2:44:01 PM

18. I bet Rick is a member of NAMBLA

Posted by: Will | Jan 25, 2013 2:51:55 PM

19. @Rick, you bet. Regrettably, I don't believe that either Leo or Emanuel is still living.

Just so I'm clear on the balance you are insinuating: do you identify as a 'garden-variety radical gay-anti-feminist'? Has a certain deliciously delusional ring to it.

Posted by: Lars | Jan 25, 2013 2:51:56 PM

20. We all need to thank the openly gay reporters and celebrities who have forums for stepping forward like this and putting a face to people who do come out. Thomas Roberts, Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon, Ellen, are our greatest allies and do an enormous amount of good when they jump at the chance to bring gay people before the world. Oprah did the very same thing for African Americans every day on her show. For us, as the gay community, to have so many openly gay newspeople and celebrities to acknowledge young people like this (and older people too) it only helps the rest of this world to see us as real people who deserve respect and equality. Round of applause to Thomas Roberts for bringing Jacob Rudolph on his show and giving us a closer look at this fine young man. Berkeley would be crazy to pass up such a fine young actor.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jan 25, 2013 3:02:32 PM

21. "Just so I'm clear on the balance you are insinuating: do you identify as a 'garden-variety radical gay-anti-feminist'? Has a certain deliciously delusional ring to it"

No, I identify as a man who recognizes that the artificial social, emotional, and even sexual dependence of men in Western societies is driven by a culture that, out of homophobic motives, has traditionally forced men to unnaturally keep their distance from each other......a man who recognizes that this dependence on and attachment to women has made most men profoundly unhappy and dissatisfied with their lives, regardless of sexual orientation.

And that the solution to the problem is to tear down that old culture and re-construct a new one.

Why on earth would that be threatening to you or any other man if you have a true male identity and if you really desire intimacy with another man or men (which is what being "gay" is supposed to be all about, isn't it?)

That is, unless "gay" to you instead means that you hate men, objectify men, desire no intimacy with other men, and instead idolize women and live vicariously through them and regard them, instead of men, as your "soulmates"--in which case I can well understand why my whole aproach would leave you cold.

And if you are the latter, you no doubt lionize the "independent" (of men, of course), "empowered" (even though women can only achieve power through social manipulation of men), "liberated" woman.....at the same time that you are horrified by the idea of an independent, empowered, and liberated man.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 25, 2013 3:14:25 PM

22. and just so we're clear, the only men who hold opinions like RICKs are completely, utterly CLOSETED.

wow. so empowered!

a closet man says something anonymously online! WOW! start the revolution!

if he believed a word of it he'd be the most "OUT" of us all.

alas, file it under "S**t Closes Cases Tell Themselves Rather Than Work On Overcoming Their Insecurities"

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 25, 2013 3:18:41 PM

23. Yes, yes, Rick. We've heard it all before. Now the staff at Bellevue Hospital needs to take you back to your room. Computer time is over.

And don't try to fight the staff, Rick. You know you're only as big as Don Knotts, and so it wouldn't be wise.

Come on now. That's right. We won't let the mean ol' females hurt you with their big ol' breasteses. Come along now.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 25, 2013 3:29:38 PM

24. RICK is exhibiting textbook misogyny. I never thought I would see such an on the nose case in the wild.

Has anyone else seen that Chappelle sketch with the blind KKK member who was black?

Posted by: Matthew | Jan 25, 2013 3:30:55 PM

25. Just so we're clear, misogyny and the patriarchy are the root causes of homophobia. For a gay man to participate in these shenanigans is disheartening and disgusting.

Posted by: Matthew | Jan 25, 2013 3:33:58 PM