Jacob Rudolph | News | Thomas Roberts

BigGayDeal.com

NJ H.S. Senior Jacob Rudolph Talks to Thomas Roberts About His Viral Coming Out, Identifying as 'LGBT': VIDEO

Roberts_rudolph

Most of you have by now seen the video we posted earlier this week of NJ high school senior Jacob Rudolph's coming out to his entire class. One of the most striking aspects of the clip was the fact that Rudolph said "I'm LGBTT" rather than "I'm gay".

MSNBC's Thomas Roberts interviewed Rudolph today about the video, and his identification:

"I intended to come out as an LGBT and not say bisexual or gay or straight because I feel like those are the labels of the past. Especially in modern times when people are really questioning who they like and what they like I think that saying 'I'm bisexual', it could change in the future, I could be sexclusively for one sex or another. So I think that putting it in a more general term like LGBT is extraordinarily appropriate even though I'm not a lesbian or a transgender."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. behind every "effeminacy-hating" gay man is a family of bigots who resented calling him son.

not that all gay men from bigoted families turn into RICKs. most, in fact, find a stirring resilience and defy it and break free from it.

the weak ones turn into RICKs.

it sucks. but they'll die. so it's ok.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 25, 2013 3:36:31 PM

2. LITTLEKIWI, may I join your fan club? And by fan club, I mean sexy times

Posted by: Matthew | Jan 25, 2013 3:42:51 PM

3. There do seem to be some contradictions in the vocabulary. First, he did say that he was only acting straight and that in reality he is somewhere in the categories of LGB or T. But in this interview, he says he is definitely not L or T but he could end up concluding that he is G or B or even S (straight). So he's just acting straight but he may conclude that he is only into females at some point? Or by saying that he might end up finding he's into one sex OR the other, is he assuming he's going to start by wavering pretty close to the "B" label (like a lot of gay men do) only to eventually land squarely on the "G?"
    I don't agree at all that those words belong to yesterday, and all those letters he's using are just shorthand for saying those words out loud in full.

I've never identified with the experience of people who are at any point confused or questioning, but I know it is a very common experience sming gay women and men.
    One guy I dated was convinced until he was 18 that ge was straight and that probably every guy prefers to turn out the lights and fantasize that his girlfriend or wife is a handsome man. I can easily say "but your own understanding of your identity should have been so obvious." But I also realize that there are strong pressure that slways push teens toward a more heterosexualized label, no matter what their identity.

If he actually knows underneath where he lies on the spectrum ( probably a G, less likely a B, and almost surely not an S), then I can also understand why coming across as "somewhere" on the spectrum may be easier than identifying specifically.
    I used to find it easier to say "I'm not heterosexual" and "I don't date women" than to say what I am or whom I DO date.

A lot of the various "not straight" actonyms have a "Q" for "questioning," and it sounds like that's where he is right now.

Good for him, though, for articulating at a young age what it is to BE a questioning teen.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 25, 2013 3:55:27 PM

4. He lost me with that "I may be bisexual now but that could change" crap. Really? I think for most of us it doesn't change. Thanks for giving the enemy more ammunition.

Posted by: Paul | Jan 25, 2013 3:57:32 PM

5. Paul - i was sexually active with females as a teen, despite my entirely being attracted to males.

why or how? simple - adolescent hormones. everything turned me on - sex was sexy.

i can totally see how an adolescent may not yet be sure how much is orientation and how much is merely just Perpetual Boner Syndrome.

(long bus rides, anyone?)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 25, 2013 4:01:35 PM

6. It's really bizarre that MSNBC made that "LGBTT" error when it was was clearly "LGBT Teen," even going so far to come up with a graphic for it with the extra T defined as "transvestite." WHAT?! Lol. Big fail.

I don't think what he said is particularly unclear. He was speaking both for himself AND others out there who might not have that opportunity. According to another article I read he himself has not settled whether he is gay or bi. Teens at that age really are often "questioning," not just whether they are ANY of the various labels but which of them apply.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 25, 2013 4:03:35 PM

7. transvestite...haha....jesus christ.....

Posted by: stephen | Jan 25, 2013 4:03:49 PM

8. It's difficult to decide which one is the the worst "coming out," this or Jodie Foster's.
    He didn't really came out.
    He thinks he could change in the future!?
    If this is the future of the LGBT movement than we are screwed.

Posted by: calvin2010 | Jan 25, 2013 4:15:56 PM

9. he totally Came Out, "Calvin" - with the support of his wonderful father.

if you think you can do a better job feel free to post the video where you sit with your father and talk about being gay.

will you? of course not. it's much easier to criticize others than do the work yourself, right?

chump.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 25, 2013 4:21:19 PM

10. "little kiwi," I'm not criticizing him. He's just a kid. That said, when I hear someone saying that "people can change" I get upset, no matter who says it.

Posted by: calvin2010 | Jan 25, 2013 4:30:18 PM

11. you just criticized him, don't be a f***ing idiot.

never mind, i realize that's not possible for you.

now, show your own damned video or go crawl back under your bridge.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 25, 2013 4:32:48 PM

12. Thanks very much to Jacob and his dad for taking a couple of minutes to talk about this video with NJ.com. http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2013/01/video_lgbt_teen_comes_out_to_p.html

Posted by: Louis Hochman | Jan 25, 2013 5:06:40 PM

13. I feel that Jacob may be an attention whore. In any case, you cannot be an LGBT any more than you can be an ABCD or a KROQ. It is fantasy land stuff.

I would say to Jacob the following: you're a man first. Be a man and stop talking as if you're a brand.

Posted by: jason | Jan 25, 2013 5:14:02 PM

14. I would say to Jason the following: you're a pathetic, misogynist troll. Be a dear and STFU!

Posted by: MateoM | Jan 25, 2013 5:19:46 PM

15. How do we know he is Gay. He may just be saying that because he is one of the other RECOGNIZED sexual orientations by the American Psychological Association that is NOT YET considered acceptable to society. If he got up there and came out that he was GSA, or Paedosexual, would be also been applauded? Limiting this discussion to just the current accepted orientations is still showing bias for those who feel they are different and are afraid to come out of the closet.

Posted by: George McCasland | Jan 25, 2013 5:20:49 PM

16. @MATEOM

LOL...thanks, I needed that.

This evening Jason appeared on this blog about 4 minutes ago, and in that span he has made 4 silly comments.

I guess when they take Rick back to his room in the psychiatric ward they let Jason out.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 25, 2013 5:24:01 PM

17. We should all be proud of this bright, brave and eloquent young gay man- the future does look bright indeed.

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 25, 2013 5:28:33 PM

18. Derrick, indeed. It would explain why he has so much free time and so little sanity, sympathy, and decency.

Posted by: MateoM | Jan 25, 2013 5:38:51 PM

19. Coalition politics will kill off the gay rights movement faster than the Religious Right. We G's need to separate our struggles from the L's andT's. The two latter groups are attempting to equate themselves with us. They don't deserve it.

We need to realize this before it's too late.

Posted by: jason | Jan 25, 2013 5:42:11 PM

20. @DERRICK: Rick is Jason (and YUPP/UFFDA/STEVE). They spew the exact same crap. Attention whore Jason? Those who live in glass asylums shouldn't throw straight jackets.

Posted by: DAN | Jan 25, 2013 5:44:40 PM

21. We need to realize that Jason/Rick is just a troll and whatever he says is either a lie or an intentional bomb thrown to rile up the comments section.

We should just ignore him and hope that he goes away. Or dies. Whichever comes first.

Posted by: MateoM | Jan 25, 2013 5:50:07 PM

22. I appreciate that he has given some thought to this, but he is dead wrong. There is nothing wrong with LGB, because L,G and B are all defined by same-sex orientation. But T is conceptually different. Ts can have any sexual orientation, are not defined by sexual orientation, and most are straight. It is an insult to both Ts and LGBs to lump the 2 groups together. He doesn't intend this, but he really misinformed his classmates what it means to be gay or LGB. It does NOT mean that he is conflicted as a male or that he wants to be a female or that he dresses as a female or that he was born with the genitalia of both male and female. That is what T means, and it is a completely distinct concept from LGB.

I don't blame a 17 year old for trying to do the right thing, but he is simply wrong about this. LGBT is a lie. It didn't even exist prior to the mid-90s. It was made up for political and ideological reasons and imposed on us. It does NOT describe reality.

Posted by: Benjamin | Jan 25, 2013 6:18:04 PM

23. BENJAMIN - I have a question for you and all of the other unevolved idiots on this site: what group labels AREN'T political and ideological?

Posted by: Matthew | Jan 25, 2013 7:11:07 PM

24. im 2 yrs older than this guy. i never call myself lgbt or any of the alphabet soup crap it is bullsh-t i have maybe 30 gay friends and no one calls themself lgbt this kid can do what he wants but he doesnt speak for everyone dont let anyone define u. dont let anyone force u to call urself smthing u are not.

Posted by: mellowman | Jan 25, 2013 9:15:06 PM

25. It's fun to watch all you queens bicker about the "right" way to come out.

Posted by: David | Jan 25, 2013 10:34:17 PM