Jacob Rudolph | News | Thomas Roberts

NJ H.S. Senior Jacob Rudolph Talks to Thomas Roberts About His Viral Coming Out, Identifying as 'LGBT': VIDEO

Roberts_rudolph

Most of you have by now seen the video we posted earlier this week of NJ high school senior Jacob Rudolph's coming out to his entire class. One of the most striking aspects of the clip was the fact that Rudolph said "I'm LGBTT" rather than "I'm gay".

MSNBC's Thomas Roberts interviewed Rudolph today about the video, and his identification:

"I intended to come out as an LGBT and not say bisexual or gay or straight because I feel like those are the labels of the past. Especially in modern times when people are really questioning who they like and what they like I think that saying 'I'm bisexual', it could change in the future, I could be sexclusively for one sex or another. So I think that putting it in a more general term like LGBT is extraordinarily appropriate even though I'm not a lesbian or a transgender."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Please "LGBT" is a lie! I don't include trans folks with homosexual males and females. Neither do others with working brains!

Posted by: J Loydd | Jan 25, 2013 11:24:28 PM

2. I applaud him and thank him for his speech. My only slight critique (and I realize he is young so I give him a pass) is that for men, you are either gay or not. Women can be bisexual because they are fluid in their sexuality. 99.99% of men are either gay or straight. Any guy I have met who says he is bi basically has had one encounter with a woman and then a lot of men after that. It's a cop-out for them admitting they are full-on gay.

Posted by: vita-t | Jan 25, 2013 11:26:35 PM

3. Somehow, I get the feeling that Rick saw "Queen of Outer Space" and "Attack of the 50-Foot Woman" on a double-bill at his local drive-in theatre and has been traumatized ever since.

Unless you were delivered by the stork, Rick, sweetie, I'd say you owe women a lot. Especially if your mommy raised you, fed you, clothed you, wiped the snot from your nose, changed your dirty diapers, wiped your butt, taught you how to aim for the toilet and lift the lid---you know, that's IT! Rick has never gotten over that mommy told him he has to lower the toilet seat when he's done with his tinkle-time and he has resented it ever since.

Now I understand the poor little sissy boy mess of a muck-up that is Rick.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 26, 2013 12:21:20 AM

4. To me, being gay is about loving men and everything that makes men men. It would be absurd for me to refer to myself as an "LGBT." For one thing, it is a silly PC acronym that no one outside the gay community even understands. Secondly, I am a male who loves men, not a lesbian, a tranny, or a bisexual. In fact, I believe that lesbianism and transgender orientation have quite a different basis than male homosexuality. I am happy to make common cause with other sexual minorities for political purposes, but that hardly means that I identify as them. "Gay man" will do just fine for me, thank you.

Posted by: Justin | Jan 26, 2013 3:29:07 AM

5. "Just so we're clear, misogyny and the patriarchy are the root causes of homophobia. For a gay man to participate in these shenanigans is disheartening and disgusting"

No, they are not, and if you would clear your head of all the BS that the feminists whose skirts you have wrapped yourself in have indoctrinated you with, you might be able to see the actual truth.

The "straight" men that you implicitly accuse of "misogyny" and homophobia spend most of their lives in pursuit of "romantic love" with women (and only women) and are programmed to regard women (and only women) as potential soulmates. Does that constitute "misogyny" (i.e. hatred of women)? Of course not. How can you pursue emotional intimacy and love with someone you hate?

By sharp contrast, of course, "straight" men have showed only contempt for men who engage in sex with each other and particularly those who would seek emotional intimacy with each other.

The contrast between their historical attitudes towards women and gay men could not be starker.

So your absurd attempt to analogize between women and gay men holds no water.

The only reason you have bought into such an ideology is that you, yourself, and others like you, have internalized the societal notion that to be attracted sexually to other men is to be devoid of any claim to masculinity.....which in your mind has become twisted into the notion that you are "like a woman" and should therefore think of yourself as being "like a woman" and behave "like a woman".

You are not liberated, my friend--you are just the opposite of liberated--so I suggest that you re-think your whole ideology, the first step of which is necessarily going to be ridding yourself of your internalized homophobia and learning to think of yourself as a man rather than as a pseudo-woman.

Do that and I promise that, with an open mind and a little effort, enlightenment will follow.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 26, 2013 10:36:00 AM

6. And let me just add to that that the historical anymosity of "straight" men towards homosexuality and intimacy would have made the kind of re-constructed male culture an impossibility even 20 years ago, much less 40 years ago.

And that it is perhaps understandable that, given the absolute nature of that anymosity in the past, "gay" men simply threw up their hands in futility and allowed themselves to be the pawns of feminists, who at least were willing to talk to them and kinda, sorta treat them like actual human beings--even if their motivation for doing so was entirely selfish.

But what you all need to understand is the degree to which "straight" men are changing--it is precisely their quest for independence from women that is driving their greater openness to intimacy with each other--which in turn is driving the eradication of homoophobia and the change in attitudes towards male homosexuality that we are observing.

So we have a golden opportunity to take advantage of that change and be accepted, but ONLY IF we are willing to discard our own baggage and envision a new paradigm that will replace the old. If you insist on keeping yourselves mired in the past, you will only have yourselves to blame if homophobia persists.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 26, 2013 10:50:50 AM

7. Wow. It is great to have someone with both brains and good looks like Jacob on our side. I have to applaud what he has done. It takes guts and smarts to do that. Thanks Jacob! You are really helping lot of young gays, and many much older ones, to come out of the closet and to be themselves as a gay person. By the way, all of this really stupid nit-picking by posters on his wording LGBT or gay or this or that is silly. While I personally call myself gay, so what if someone calls themselves queer or bi or whatever? The IMPORTANT thing is to announce yourself!! While I use my FULL real name, David Jarrett, on these postings, most use fake names. so who is really in the closet? Huh?

Posted by: David Jarrett | Jan 26, 2013 10:54:58 AM

8. Will somebody PLEASE put a sock [or something else] in Lil' Phuk-face's mouth? Please? With sugar on top?

Lil' Weanie,

I'd STRONGLY suggest you check the meds you're taking and alter the dosage...or try laying off the cocaine for a while.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 26, 2013 10:56:59 AM

9. I really like this kid, but this clip was a double fail. First, MSNBC creates a new term, LGBTT with the second T meaning transvestite? Great, we just spent 40 years teaching the world that being gay does not mean that you are a transvestite and MSNBC eradicates that in a minute. Jacob doesn't correct him. Second, Jacob says that he used LGBT because he might be bisexual but that later he might commit to loving one sex or the other. Um, Jacob in that case you would still be bisexual. A bisexual who dates only men is still bisexual. A bisexual who dates only women is still bisexual. Jacob inadvertently promoted the argument of the Christian Right that you can change your sexual orientation by simply changing your behavior.

What a mess. He should have just come out as gay or bi and left it at that. LGBT is really a toxic concept filled with prejudiced stereotypes, false associations and political agendas. The sooner it dies the better off all of us will be.

Posted by: Jack Duffy | Jan 26, 2013 11:41:45 AM

10. not one complainer could put a face to their complaints.

thus, Jacob is right, the future is bright, and the anti-LGBT trolls can die alone in the darkness like they deserve.

werk.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 26, 2013 11:43:06 AM

11. Will somebody PLEASE put a sock [or something else] in RATBASTARD's and Rick's mouth? Please? With sugar on top?

Ratbastard, you ain't no prize yourself. OK?

Posted by: DAN | Jan 26, 2013 12:32:02 PM

12. "It is great to have someone with both brains and good looks like Jacob on our side." Why are his looks so important? Are plain looking and ugly gays not part of the team?

Posted by: DAN | Jan 26, 2013 12:35:10 PM

13. RICK - You could really use a refresher on your philo 100 and psych 101 courses.

OF COURSE, you can hate something that you also love. Have you ever heard of an abusive relationship? The entire history of the Western religion and literature is littered with examples of women's subjugation, rape, and abuse at the hands of men. Islam, Judaism, and Christianity all find women fundamentally unclean. I hardly need to prove the existence of misogyny and the patriarchy--it is evident all around us, not least of all in your statements.

The about of hate you express for women! It is difficult to countenance. I feel very sorry for any women in your life--especially your mother.

Posted by: Matthew | Jan 26, 2013 5:57:32 PM

14. Also, you haven't proposed an alternate hypothesis for why straight men have historically shown contempt for gay men. How do you explain it?

Posted by: Matthew | Jan 26, 2013 6:02:44 PM

15. ". Any guy I have met who says he is bi basically has had one encounter with a woman and then a lot of men after that. It's a cop-out for them admitting they are full-on gay. "

@Vita-T: I'm sure we've all met gay people who somewhat erroneously label themselves as bi, but you've no doubt also met countless bi people who buy social acceptance by falsely self-labeling as heterosexual.

The existence of the former type among some of the subgroup that self-labels as bi does NOT mean that others who call themselves "bi" are not being accurate. Not only are some men (a lor more than 1 in 1000) actually bi, but also you will never know how many (so-called) "straight" bi people you know.

There is pressure on everyone in society to exaggerate their degree of heterosexuality, whether any degree of hererosexuality exists within them or not.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 26, 2013 11:41:22 PM

16. ". Any guy I have met who says he is bi basically has had one encounter with a woman and then a lot of men after that. It's a cop-out for them admitting they are full-on gay. "

Posted by: GregV | Jan 26, 2013 11:41:22 PM

17. "I feel like those are the labels of the past"

I am only 3 years older than this guy and I could not disagree more.

Sorry, but I had to go through so much crap and so much harassment to finally accept myself and come out as a gay man. Now I embrace my identity.

It is truly horrible when LGBT people begin dismissing and insulting each other's labels. Really, really sad.

Posted by: Morty | Jan 28, 2013 10:48:07 AM

18. It is also extremely disheartening to see people defend this kind of attitude.

Posted by: Morty | Jan 28, 2013 10:50:04 AM

19. It's sad to see the fruitcakes (commentators) whose little brains have been indoctrinated by imbecilism-inducing doses of feminism.
    Rick, your posts make perfect sense and I agree with them. Too bad these imbeciles don't have the capacity to understand them so all they can do is produce irrelevant wailing sounds.

PS. These imbeciles wouldn't react if someone wrote s/he wants females to be independent from males, but to say you want males to be independent from females... OH DEAR LORD!!! HOW COULD YOU!!??

Posted by: Nether | Jan 28, 2013 11:31:45 AM