California | Gay Youth | News

LGBTQ Youth, Allies, and Their Families from Modesto, California Speak Out with Signs: VIDEO

Theplace

The Place is an LGBTQ youth support center run by the UCC in Modesto, California.

We've all seen these sign videos before, but this one will warm your heart on a cold winter's day.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_theplace

Comments

1. Very touching and wonderful!

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 29, 2013 10:51:07 AM

2. I'm happy to see how far we've come. With an organization like PLACE, equality is now.

Posted by: Marc C | Jan 29, 2013 11:46:32 AM

3. Very nice. It's great to see these kids with their loving families.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 29, 2013 11:49:00 AM

4. I have a problem with all those retard smiles like they all had brain surgery, and the background music gave me diabetes, and almost 8 min really ?; a brief add of 3 min with facts and appealing music, that's how u do it ._.'

Posted by: Mark | Jan 29, 2013 11:49:37 AM

5. Well have at it, Mark. Start your own group, build it into a success, then make a video and show us all how it's done.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 29, 2013 11:54:32 AM

6. I'm so glad there are places like this for GLBT youth. They no longer have to feel like they are the only one in the whole world who feels like they do.

Posted by: Howard | Jan 29, 2013 12:07:34 PM

7. First, Mark, I am ashamed to share the same name with you. Second, as someone who works with developmentally disabled people, I will kick your ass if I ever meet you for using the word "retard". Third, 8 minutes of seeing young people and their families growing together is too much for you? How much time do you spend picking up tricks on Grindr? Go back in your hole.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 29, 2013 12:11:37 PM

8. Sheesh. Mark. People smiling and loving and hugging and accepting and supporting each other is just so yucky, isn't it. Can't wait to see your 3-minute infomercial with people frowning and spouting sterile facts in a monotone. Yep. That's the way to do it. And maybe you should watch who you're calling "retard."

Posted by: fritzrth | Jan 29, 2013 12:12:38 PM

9. What I would have given for a place like this back in the '60s when I was growing up. Of course, I would have had to handle it like the person who couldn't show his/her face, but to have this kind of support back then would have made a lot of difference.

Posted by: fritzrth | Jan 29, 2013 12:15:24 PM

10. these families just saved lives, and they likely don't even know it yet.

well met!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 29, 2013 12:23:10 PM

11. See it from the point of view of a straight person, nobody would watch this 8 min video till the end, it's not effective, it wont make ppl to change their minds about gay issues, therefor it won't help noone, it will only serve of self compassion, it doesnt work

Posted by: Mark | Jan 29, 2013 12:36:44 PM

12. Biggest cheer goes to the little girl who started a GSA at her middle school and had 24 kids show up. AWESOME.

Posted by: Robert | Jan 29, 2013 12:47:48 PM

13. Oh and one more thing, did you notice that some of the people were "fat" and "old". When those that oppose equality stand up and speak, screaming Queens come out with "look at that Fat and old....". Well guess what "Fat" and "old" also LOVE their children and do believe in equality. Just thought you should be bitched slapped.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jan 29, 2013 12:48:09 PM

14. Touching and beautiful.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 29, 2013 12:49:56 PM

15. Mark, wake up. This video is not about or intended for STRAIGHT PEOPLE. This video is for all the GLBTQ kids out there who are alone, frightened, considering suicide, and who think no one cares. And believe me,they need a lot more than 8 minutes of someone's time. And it MAY help them, and that's why they made it.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 29, 2013 12:52:50 PM

16. that other "mark" is more than free to make a short succinct clip featuring his own parents.

will we see it soon, mark?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 29, 2013 12:57:34 PM

17. Jeez. The web has been around for many years. Why do so many of you still respond to idiots who post stupid comments?

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 29, 2013 1:05:06 PM

18. I love the United Church of Christ. The nation's second oldest Christian denomination continues to be a leader in helping gay children and adults. God bless the Church, the Place, and all families!

Posted by: DB | Jan 29, 2013 1:14:21 PM

19. I feel like 8 minutes wasn't long enough. All the smiling faces lifted my heart.

Posted by: Mick | Jan 29, 2013 1:32:25 PM

20. LOL the trolls on this site (Mark/Mary/Ratbastard/UFFDA) are the most obvious trolls in their trolling of any other site I visit. They are just pathetic at it.

Posted by: Kortz | Jan 29, 2013 4:47:05 PM

21. Extremely well done.

Posted by: taxpayer | Jan 29, 2013 7:56:39 PM

22. Beautiful...Makes me proud to be from Modesto!

Posted by: @z0mKi | Jan 30, 2013 12:26:46 AM

23. I know the parents who started this group personally, some of my best friends mentor & run the program, I know the guy who produced & filmed this video & I know some of the young adults who attend this group, so I'm a little biased when I say that this is one of the most touching things I've ever seen. It has saved many lives & will continue to do so. I can be proud in saying I am a part of the community in Modesto.

Posted by: CZ | Jan 30, 2013 1:01:13 AM

24. The video was 8 minutes?? It sure didn't seem like it. Absolutely wonderful, as are all the people involved in making this video and in making a difference in the lives of GLBTQ youth. It's just so sad that some people can't see that.

Posted by: cando64 | Jan 30, 2013 11:10:53 PM