Azealia Banks | GLAAD | News

BigGayDeal.com

Azealia Banks Holds 'Faggot' Debate on Twitter

Banks

Singer Azealia Banks, who made headlines last month after a feud with Perez Hilton in which she used the word "faggot" repeatedly, has struck up the feud once again, this morning canvassing her 300,000 followers as to their definition of the word.

A_banksSaid Banks: "Here we go again. Everyone pretending to be so shocked and moved by the word faggot... It's like society is so bored with itself it needs to hold on to these outdated rules of what you can say and cannot say... Why has society accepted "ni**er" As a colloquialism ... But will not accept "faggot"? Everyones always acting like its f**king 1905 in this bitch. What is your definition of the word faggot? Faggot means coward, liar, backstabber...... Energy stealer, blood sucker. Perez tries to get every gay person all riled up when the only faggot I see ........ is him. It's really time for a cultural shift. All these leftover old world social themes we're all still trying to hold on to are BOOORRIIING"

Banks is receiving quite a few responses to her question. The conversation is ongoing...

Last month, singer Jake Shears and GLAAD responded to Banks.

Said GLAAD: "[That] is an ugly, archaic word that was used to stigmatize a population of people who suffer high rates of violence both here in the U.S. and abroad," said Matt Kane, the group's Associate Director of Entertainment Media. "As far as we’ve come in this society, seeing it used by an artist many young people may look up to is painful, but even more so for those young fans, many of whom GLAAD has heard from."

Said Shears: "It all about context. And right now, I'm sorry, but context is not on your side."

Comments

1. We all get to define words, they are made up after all. What is your point offended people? Why is it so important that we keep the word an insult to gays? Why are you so invested in this as to put yourself in the fray?

As she is one lady, I doubt she will radically change the word forever. Are you afraid she is going to do this? Do you think she will somehow create a horrible situation for gays?

The problem here is you. YOU react to this stimulus. Why are you doing it? Is it important for others? Answer these questions while being offended and you will find yourself in a new place afterwards. It is important to grow with context.

Posted by: Fensox | Feb 15, 2013 12:29:27 PM

2. Cue Inigo Montoya: "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Feb 15, 2013 12:52:48 PM

3. WHO IS THIS PERSON???

Posted by: MANNY | Feb 15, 2013 12:58:40 PM

4. @fensox That is exactly how I've always felt but it's a losing battle. I got tired of being called names for espousing that view : )

Posted by: cdubois | Feb 15, 2013 12:59:14 PM

5. Honestly, I know it sounds crazy...but I'm wondering if it's cos of something I tweeted a week ago? Something about a Bessie Smith play in Cleveland(?). I'm a fan of the Empress of the Blues. Anyhow, on a tweet I said Bessie Smith influenced a lot of singers. Started naming certain female inspirations. Then tweeted about "If it wasn't for Bessie Smith..there'd be no Azelia Banks even." Basically me breaking the charade of her 'bisexual, hard living mama act", if you will. I'm sure she saw it. I know it sounds odd but...it wouldn't surprise me if she's lashing out cos of that. Lol!!! Sorry everyone. I may be the reason.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Feb 15, 2013 1:16:33 PM

6. Fensox: If there is no reason for us to be offended by her use of "faggot," why did Towleroad feel compelled to delete my post using "xunt"?

(Spelled that way to avoid deletion.)

Posted by: JeffNYC | Feb 15, 2013 2:41:02 PM

7. biych

Posted by: J Loydd | Feb 15, 2013 2:52:48 PM

8. This is infuriating. She may not be a homophobe herself, but she is acting ignorant.

Posted by: Lucas H | Feb 15, 2013 3:19:20 PM

9. Exactly why I don't have a Twitter account. That such an ignorant, socially challenged, questionably talented person can brain fart and have 300,000 sycophants tell her how great it smells is such a reflection of the sad direction things are going. Education and intelligence replaced by ego and ignorance and self flagellation.

Laugh or cry, or just shake my head.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Feb 15, 2013 3:37:00 PM

10. Someone really needs to say to her " Fa**ot doesn't means coward, liar, backstabber, Ni**er means coward, liar, backstabber. and she how she reacts. I'm not being racist,it's a colloquialism." and then see what she thinks of that.

I understand there are some who believe we should try to 'own' words to take away their power, but do they not realise that some words just make you sound like you're uneducated trash, no matter how much you try to 'own' them.

Posted by: Andrew | Feb 15, 2013 3:49:21 PM

11. she needs to learn when to stop.

Posted by: reality | Feb 15, 2013 4:08:50 PM

12. Taking back the word efforts never work. We are not in a post-gay society. 29 states still have zero gay protections. Let's get real. You cannot wipe away history to suit yourself.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 15, 2013 4:12:37 PM

13. Wow, she's stupid.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 15, 2013 4:32:53 PM

14. I can't believe idiots on here are defending her remarks. There is no excuse for using that word unless you're a homophobe. This is the second time she's done this in the last 2 months. Wake up.

Posted by: Colin | Feb 15, 2013 5:12:58 PM

15. There's 4 unforgivable words in America: The N, R, F and C words.

I guess Ms. Banks is irate over only being eligible for 3 out of 4 and is trying to do something about it.

Posted by: jexer | Feb 15, 2013 5:48:46 PM

16. http://youtu.be/kUao-tYJZhk

I would like to share my music video with the gay community for gay rights awareness. I am tired of seeing human beings die just because they want to live and love the way they want to. Many of my friends have reached out to me confidentially confessing the thoughts of committing suicide or struggling with being what socitety considers normal. They live isolated mentally and can not think past fear or being free. I want to tell them that, "I understand, I hear you, and I stand with you. I love you." I hope my song and music video opens the eyes of those that can not see past their own stubborn misleading beliefs. I hope that they can see how others not like themselves struggle and are mentally disarrayed trying to live a normal life because society has painted a right and wrong picture. My ultimate messsage is "Be free to love, do not result to the option of taking your life, choose the option to LOVE."

Pour vous, with Lots of Love,
    Kati G Sakyi

Posted by: Kati G Sakyi | Feb 15, 2013 6:08:41 PM

17. I agree with her that it's boring. Of course her dredging this up all over again is exteremely boring. Azealia Banks is very, very boring.

Posted by: db | Feb 15, 2013 6:31:57 PM

18. Nobody's checking for this hoodrat so she figures trying to be "controversial" will get her some attention. Perez is stupid for even adknowledging her. Attention (even bad) is what she wants.

Posted by: Ignore her & she'll go away | Feb 15, 2013 6:48:14 PM

19. Perez Hilton really is everything she says he is, but jake shears was right with his comment about context. She could have called him many things but her choice of word was in direct reference to his sexuality and it appears she's trying to backtrack with her statements.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 15, 2013 7:43:34 PM

20. Why is anyone giving this stank ghetto blitch any attention?!

Posted by: Audi-owner | Feb 15, 2013 8:13:01 PM

21. What a khunt.

Posted by: Buckie | Feb 15, 2013 10:16:32 PM

22. Count me amongst those who didn't know who Azealia Banks was until a minute ago. Perez Hilton's fifteen minutes were up a few years ago, were they not?

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 15, 2013 11:01:34 PM

23. The fact that this ghetto piece of trash can get so many people riled up over her ignorant use of a word must give her so much joy and self-deluded superiority. I don't know her music and I never will. Just another worthless psychopath in a world filled with them.

Posted by: Jose Arribas | Feb 16, 2013 1:26:35 AM

24. Haha, she's worse than a homophobe. They're mostly ignorant, the poor dears, and need our compassion, maybe a nice mug cocoa and lots of therapy. She's a willful cretin. She's reveling in how stupid she is. It does seem to be working, because the only other time I've ever heard of this person is the last time she did it. See you guys here same time next year? I'll bring the popcorn.

Hey, but it's not true that we've accepted n,,, nnkfd,,,, ni... that word that I can't even bring myself to type out, is it? Have we accepted that as a colloquialism? I'm so old fashioned, oh drat. I don't wanna be using last years's slurs. :(

Posted by: Joe | Feb 16, 2013 4:00:36 AM

25. Candide, it was Humpty Dumpty who said that. She is rather round of face, now that you mention it...

Fensex, you're joking right? This isn't counterculture. This is narcissism and commercialism gone amuck. She values selling something and being seen more than she values making any sense. Get yourself to a radical faerie meeting or whatever the equivalent is for you kids nowadays. Because this is mainstream commercial hogwash wrapped up in a bisexual eggshell, and you're smarter than that I just know you are, kid.

Posted by: Joe | Feb 16, 2013 4:06:39 AM