Dana White | Sports | UFC

BigGayDeal.com

UFC President Dana White On Gay Fighters: 'If You Are Gay, I Could Care Less'

The first ever women's UFC fight will take place tonight and one of the athletes in the event, Liz Carmouche, is also the only openly gay fighter in the sport.

6a00d8341c730253ef0162fbfb6570970d-200wiLeading up to the fight, both Carmouche and UFC president Dana White are talking about the historic competition and about openly gay fighters. Carmouche tells AXS TV that she hopes her coming out will inspire others in the UFC to follow her lead:

"I hope that they can see that in such a testosterone and male-dominated sport, it would be so difficult to come out, that it's possible and they can do it too."

White, who has commended Carmouche for her coming out last year, was asked yesterday how he would react if a fighter refused to compete against an opponent who was gay. According to Yahoo's Cagewriter blog, this was White's positive response: "Most of the guys that are in this sport are really good people. I honestly don't see a situation where that would happen, but if it did, I'd fix it."

White on inclusiveness in the sport: "If you're an athlete in the UFC and you are gay, I could care less. You will not be treated any different."

Watch AXS TV interviews with Carmouche and White, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Great words from a guy who looks so delicious and hot. Wow! (Sorry Dana, if you're reading, but you look good.)

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 23, 2013 3:19:10 PM

2. Why do so many people say "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less"?

Posted by: Ken | Feb 23, 2013 3:30:45 PM

3. @Ken: yes! This is a pet peeve of mine too. If you 'could care less' then that means you DO care! Ugh. Otherwise, very nice statement.

Posted by: Lars | Feb 23, 2013 3:47:28 PM

4. i could care less about people who say they could care less when they mean they couldn't care less.

#wordsareimportant

that said, at least it's a mistake made for a *good* reason.

although, call me crazy, i'd rather they care enough to actively support rather than pretend we're in a place where ambivalence should be the proper response.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 23, 2013 3:51:54 PM

5. I guess what's puzzling is when I hear people talk about how it'll be "harder" for UFC (or, if you prefer, pro-Football) types to Come Out, because of....uh..."concern to their physical safety"

um...exsqueeze me? baking powder? if you're concerned about physical safety in coming out and you're in those types of professions or hobbies then .... well, no. i remain utterly confused.

but hey, we have people who can drop into a war zone full of armed guerillas and yet still can't bring themselves to drop into a local potluck back home with their boyfriend...

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 23, 2013 4:00:26 PM

6. Still surprised that Towleroad hasn't mentioned Pete Domenici's bastard son Adam Laxalt, and his virulently anti-gay writings re DADT.

Posted by: You Asked, I Told | Feb 23, 2013 4:19:55 PM

7. I knew his comment would bring the language marms out! lol

Posted by: marco | Feb 23, 2013 4:20:01 PM

8. Little Kiwi is right. It is very annoying when people say "I could care less" and really mean "I could NOT care less."

Posted by: Ernst Rhoem's Ghost | Feb 23, 2013 4:26:01 PM

9. Liz Carmouche will fit right in with these ugly guys. She's like your typical useful idiot in my opinion.

Posted by: rise | Feb 23, 2013 4:27:38 PM

10. I've never understood why so many adults use those words nonsensically. It's the equivalent of him trying to compliment his bride by telling her that "All the world's princesses could be more beautiful than you."

That's minor though. His intentions are what count, and I appreciate them. Kiwi makes a good point though. I would rather a bus driver tell Rosa Parks that she has as much right as anyone to a seat and that any harrassers will be told that they are not welcome on the bus rather than just telling her that "I don't particularly care where you sit."

Posted by: GregV | Feb 23, 2013 4:48:10 PM

11. I always thought "I could care less" was used sarcastically.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Feb 23, 2013 5:09:38 PM

12. @PDX GUY You are correct. Modal verbs like "could", "should" and "might" often work as counterfactual of counterintentional whether accompanied by negation or not, especially when used in future constructions. "Are you going to clean your room?" "Well, I could."

Dana is not using "could" as if he said "I could talk when I was 18 months old." He is instead issuing a conditional apodosis.

Both expressions are best taken as idioms of identical meaning at this point. As idioms they transcend the meaning of their constituent parts.

Modals and idioms are the purview of pragmatics, and caution should be taken when demanding literal truth values for them.

Posted by: Bollux | Feb 23, 2013 5:55:27 PM

13. Bollux, after reading your comment, I am hard right now.

Posted by: bravo | Feb 23, 2013 9:50:21 PM

14. Wow. I was thinking the same thing about his wording but decided not to mention it. I had no idea that it would be the focus of the comments!

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 23, 2013 10:00:49 PM

15. Ohh guys you are discussing about the English language and the news is that... euh... what was the news? Oh yes the picture of Dana.

Posted by: Lukebrux | Feb 24, 2013 2:28:28 AM

16. OK if you spelling queens are done lets get back to the point of the article, I think it is awesome he is supporting gay athletes!

Posted by: Userjake | Feb 24, 2013 3:25:58 AM

17. BOLLUX - that was great, somehow it made Dana a whole lot sexier, like all those words swelled his bulge up real nice, firming his shorts around his ass, so that I couldn't care more.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 24, 2013 6:17:54 AM

18. He is not supporting, he's just not against, it's different. I can remember at least two fighters, both Brazilians just like me, saying that MMA was no sport for gays. Minotauro was one IIRC. I don't think Dana said anything about that.

Posted by: Syrax | Feb 24, 2013 8:49:14 AM

19. @SYRAX,

You're right. And Nogueira is a beast! 6"-3', 240lbs!

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 24, 2013 11:14:05 AM

20. @Syrax - Surely not caring is actually the end-game. A time when being for or against differences in sexual orientation is a nonsense. I'm taking Dana's comment as words of support - he doesn't care either way that someone is gay, or not, because for him it's completely irrelevant. Exactly as it should be.

Having said that, I'd love to see a gay guy kick the 10 kinds of crap out of a whole bunch of straight dudes.

Posted by: Henry | Feb 24, 2013 11:42:05 AM

21. @Henry I was looking after reading this and found an out guy, Shad Smith. Not UFC though, he fights in Bellator.

Posted by: Syrax | Feb 24, 2013 11:56:52 AM

22. Forgive me if I think White's words are just that, words. White is fine with a gay woman in the sport but if a gay man were to come out in the UFC I doubt White would have the same opinion. Remember when a male fighter fought in Speedos and was ridiculed by White? White actually awarded the opponent bonus money for having to fight a guy wearing a Speedo. This is promotional hype to tap another audience market.

Posted by: Rick Smith | Feb 24, 2013 12:41:42 PM