Census | News

Gallup Breaks Down Percentage of LGBT People by State in Largest Study of its Kind: POLL

Gallup is out with new poll results today based on responses to the question, "Do you, personally, identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender?" The question was asked in tracking interviews during the second half of 2012 and is the largest single study of the LGBT population distribution on record.

GallupThe District of Columbia was found to have the largest percentage of LGBT-identifying residents by far with 10%, and North Dakota the least, with 1.7%.

They note:

As was outlined in the first report of these data in October, measuring sexual orientation and gender identity can be challenging because these concepts involve complex social and cultural patterns. There are a number of ways to measure lesbian, gay, and bisexual orientation, and transgender status. Gallup chose a broad measure of personal identification as LGBT because this grouping of four statuses is commonly used in current American discourse, and as a result has important cultural and political significance. One limitation of this approach is that it is not possible to separately consider differences among lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, or transgender individuals. A second limitation is that this approach measures broad self-identity, and does not measure sexual or other behavior, either past or present.

Here are the results:

Gallup

Comments

1. These polls are pointless. Why admit to something you can be legally discriminated for? Also, being thought of as gay is still embarassing. People hide it and won't reveal it to some stupid polling firm like Gallup.

Posted by: rise | Feb 15, 2013 12:52:03 PM

2. well.... fwiw....

I went to the Gallop site and read some of their methodology. They used a lot of phone surveying and used land lines as well as cell phones.

I always question this in polling since the people who have dedicated phone lines tend to be old or rural or both. Plus most people I know wont answer calls from strange numbers.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Feb 15, 2013 12:52:34 PM

3. That's it then. There aren't very many of us. I'm devastated.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 15, 2013 1:05:19 PM

4. It's so amazing that Gay Americans are STILL the subjects of pokes and prods, studies and papers, questions and comments, healing attempts and curses. Gay Americans are STILL like zoo animals. STILL the other, STILL outsiders. STILL not free and equal. The fight goes on. The Civil Rights Struggle continues. Thank you Gallup for asking, but to what end?

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Feb 15, 2013 1:18:06 PM

5. Florida's lying..

Posted by: dixichuk | Feb 15, 2013 2:23:57 PM

6. I think this is pure bullsh@t.

It doesn't take into account the number of closet cases who will never admit to being gay and the number of liars who still claim to be bisexual because they are too afraid of admnitting they are gay.

Texas has one of the largest populations in the USA but has such a low number of gays ? RIDICULOUS !

Everyone knows that the nearer you get to the Bible belt the less men are "gay" and more and more identify as "bisexual" even though they have never even been with a woman. This study will never be accurate until all gays have the balls to be honest. I have lived in Texas for ten years. Never have I met so many liars. NO ONE lies more about being gay than Texans !

Posted by: Icebloo | Feb 15, 2013 3:01:08 PM

7. I used to live in an area where I could and would have been discriminated against by my employer (among other entities around me) if I had told the truth, with no legal recourse avaiilable (as is the case in pretty much the entire bottom half of that list of states).

At that time in my life, I gave false information on every such survey. (Even to say "prefer not to answer" could potentially have put me at risk, so I always answered "heterosexual," even though it was BS)

Another potential way of seeing this survey is "Which state has the most closeted population?" (Possible answer: North Dakota).

Posted by: GregV | Feb 15, 2013 3:09:34 PM

8. So for the people critisizing this poll how do you suggest we get an accurate count or is that possible? For the Openly Gay guys why do you have sex with guys who claim they are straight? Particularly they ones that won't even acknowledge in public.Just curious?

Posted by: Kim | Feb 15, 2013 6:09:49 PM

9. I'll call this poll bunk right now. Anyone who thinks there are fewer gay people in Florida than some of the places higher on the list has never been here. You can't swing a dead cat in Florida without hitting a gay person.

Having said that, it's not a big old bordello like some places and every here isn't in or should be in recovery. We're spread out. We don't have a thousand bars. We sail and swim because unlike the West Coast, the water is warm here and the weather is nice.

One of the first things new people notice is that there are a lot of blue collar gay people here. Lesbians fish, and wear make-up. Gay men own farms and dirtbikes. Hairdressers join bowling teams and young gay people have friends who are old who aren't customers.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 15, 2013 8:34:30 PM

10. I'll call this poll bunk right now. Anyone who thinks there are fewer gay people in Florida than some of the places higher on the list has never been here. You can't swing a dead cat in Florida without hitting a gay person.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 15, 2013 8:34:33 PM

11. @ Kim

The only accurate way to find out how many gay people there are is to get a high school yearbook in a town where most people go to public school. and then four years later interview everyone in it; asking not only "Are you gay?" but getting them to identify who else they know to be gay. It's really the last time a group is as representative as it can be. After that self selection increases rapidly.

Other than that, get ten thousand people at random and I'll decide who is gay and who isn't.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 15, 2013 8:38:55 PM

12. @ Kim

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 15, 2013 8:38:57 PM

13. As a former South Dakotan, I can explain it. The relatively high percentage is due to the large Native American population (approx. 10% of the population). Homosexuality within the Lakota culture is somewhat tolerated due to historical cultural norms.

Posted by: Lilnemo | Feb 15, 2013 10:29:26 PM

14. Why didn't they ask about virginity and celibacy?

Posted by: Virginia | Feb 16, 2013 12:52:21 AM

15. They should do a blood test to identify the "gay" gene.

Posted by: simon | Feb 16, 2013 1:39:40 AM

16. This poll is total BS. I know gay people who don't identify as gay and never would. They don't understand that having sex with their own gender actually means they're gay.

Posted by: Carter | Feb 16, 2013 1:50:53 AM

17. This poll is total BS. I know gay people who don't identify as gay and never would. They don't understand that having sex with their own gender actually means they're gay.

Posted by: Carter | Feb 16, 2013 1:50:57 AM

18. Michael at 11:44, I'm not sure you're doing the math right. Step away from the percentages.

Wait, no. I'm certain you're not doing the math right. Run! Run! From the percentages! I bet you make a mean omelette, though. I dunno why. You just have that "make a mean omelette" glow.

hungry now :(

Posted by: Joe | Feb 16, 2013 4:14:45 AM

19. I always wondered what the difference between North Dakota and South Dakota was. Now we know. The gay folk live in South Dakota, the heterosexuals up North.

Posted by: scollingsworth | Feb 16, 2013 11:38:01 AM

20. @David Hearne: My high school was homophobic, so no one was out. Four years after graduating, I could not have named one gay classmate and none of them could have named me as gay, either. A lot of people move away and don't keep up with high school classmates. Even my high school best friend would name me as straight, though he did, only very recently, contact me and say we should meet up. Your suggestion could not possibly come up with an accurate number.

@Carter: Whom you have sex with does not necessarily indicate your actual orientation. A lot of straight and bi guys have only experimented with males, and millions of gay males have only experimented with females.
    Even when all of my sexual experience was with females, I knew I was not at all straight or bi and would only fall in love with a man.

@Kim: Until discrimination is eradicated (as it has already, for example, toward left-handed people), there is no way to get an accurate count. Any survey can only indicate to us that there are "more than" whatever number we get. But the real number could be double or triple or quadruple whatever result you get.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 16, 2013 12:58:46 PM

21. well, that's the thing - even in an anonymous survey those who are dedicated to their Lie will lie on paper.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 16, 2013 1:05:39 PM

22. Too few people in the survey. Noway can it be a true evaluation.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Feb 16, 2013 5:38:49 PM

23. Too few people in the survey. Noway can it be a true evaluation.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Feb 16, 2013 5:38:59 PM

24. I identify as lesbian and have never taken any on these polls. I believe they may be taken in places were the percentage is low are purpose. Seriously anyone will a brain can see it is lower in the southern conservative states. These are polls are not accurate because many people haven't came out to themselves yet.

Posted by: Kristin | Feb 16, 2013 10:57:19 PM

25. I live in the Illinois/Indiana border, so color me stunned that they basically have the same percentage of gays. I mean, Chicago has the biggest gay population outside of NYC or L.A, and we know how Chicago can skew numbers (Illinois is always a "blue" state solely because of Chicago, after all) so you'd expect to see faaar more gays in Illinois than Indiana.

Posted by: Robert | Feb 17, 2013 6:15:35 PM