Alabama | Education | Gay Slurs | News

BigGayDeal.com

Alabama Teacher Calls Gays 'an Abomination Against God', Allows 'Gorilla' Slur Against Michelle Obama: AUDIO

In Rogersville, Alabama, an investigation is underway after a student recorded Bob Grisham, the high school football coach also teaches psychology, spewing anti-gay slurs and condoning racist attacks on Michelle Obama in hisclassroom.

GrishamThe Times Daily reports:

The investigation includes a 1-minute, 24-second audiotape of Grisham asking who knows who is behind the 600-calorie school lunch.

“Fat butt Michelle Obama,” he said. “Look at her. She looks like she weighs 185 or 190. She’s overweight.”

Male voices interject comments during the discussion, at one point referring to Michelle Obama as a “fat gorilla.”

Later in the tape, Grisham referred to the U.S. as going in the “wrong direction” and tells the students they can “get pissed off at me or not. You can go tell the principal, call the superintendent and tell her. I don’t believe in queers. I don’t like queers, I don’t hate them as a person, but what they do is wrong and an abomination against God.” The tape was reportedly recorded by a student Monday and took place on school campus during the school day.

Grisham told the TimesDaily on Wednesday afternoon he misspoke. “I misspoke in a debate-type situation,” he said. “I have no hatred toward anyone or any group. People that know my heart, they know that.”

Listen to Grisham's rant, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Great.. another "Don't listen to my words...they don't reflect what's in my heart" statement..idiot

Posted by: Dave in PA | Feb 1, 2013 12:29:48 PM

2. He hasn't look around his neighbors! Alabama is the second fattest state in the US and Michele Obama is a very fit woman.

Posted by: Mercedes | Feb 1, 2013 12:30:35 PM

3. And vulnerable kids have to suffer under this abominable piece of $hit !

There's only one option here; get the bigot out.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 1, 2013 12:34:19 PM

4. Newsflash. Bulletin. Breaking News. In the heart of Dixie a white coach hates black folk and "queers" as he so delicately put it. He's also a fundamentalist and Biblical literalistic person. As one comment above so accurately said, the only sin in his world is a losing season. Is there any news here? Make him a martyr by firing him and he'll be the next Republican congressman from his district. Such is the state of our troubled country.

Posted by: Contrarian | Feb 1, 2013 12:34:27 PM

5. Michelle Obama looks overweight because she is not his preferred anorexic body type of the female gender. And judging by his photo, I am pretty sure he is not too lean himself. I would really love to know what the topic of conversation was that allowed for this racist/homophobic rant. Perhaps they were studying Bigotry 101: How to look and sound like you are a native Alabamian white man?

Posted by: GLAW2014 | Feb 1, 2013 12:34:40 PM

6. http://lauderdale.lch.schoolinsites.com/?PageName=%27Contact%27

Contact the school to tell them your thoughts.

Posted by: Mikey | Feb 1, 2013 12:42:50 PM

7. After watching the video of all the recent Rightwingnuts who've slammed gays or kept our rights from us, then being outted as gay themselves...all I can say about Bob Grisham is "Call the following:
    Ted Haggard, George A. Rekers, Richard Curtis, Roy Ashburn, Albert Odulele, Mark Foley, Christopher Lee, Eddie Long, Jim West, Paul Babeu, Ken Mehlman, and Larry Craig on how to come out. Baby, you're gonna need all the support you can get. 'Yoah mouth is sure purty'"

Posted by: woodroad34 | Feb 1, 2013 12:48:01 PM

8. He'd fit right in with the 49ers.

Posted by: Kevin | Feb 1, 2013 12:48:56 PM

9. Hes obviously sexually attracted to her and in his twisted brain hates himself for it. I gather black sex workers do very well in these racist enclaves!

Posted by: jm | Feb 1, 2013 12:53:50 PM

10. LOL...funny...it's so predictable what stories on TR will attract the most comments.

USA = 315 Million people and counting

Alabama = 4,822,023

Rogersville = 1,245

This guy is a coach at a HS in a very small, poor town with a high rate of poverty. Protest and get mad by all means, but get a grip.

If we had stories on the beliefs or things that people have said, all the people of Rogersville, all the people of Alabama, all the people of the U.S., all the people of the world, all 7+ billion of them, there would be a lot of hospital emergency room admissions for strokes.

The fact is, much of what is passed on as news is censored and much is not reported at all.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 1, 2013 12:59:56 PM

11. Um, Ernst? You wanna repeat that again? Like, uh, your logic escaped me.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 1, 2013 1:02:40 PM

12. @GLAW2014,

It's grossly unfair and bigoted to slam all 'native born' Alabama white men' just as it would be grossly unfair to do likewise to black men, Asian men, Hispanic men, white women, black women, Asian women, Hispanic women, heterosexuals and homosexuals. And I've encountered in my life many non-white guys and women who have had unkind 'racist' things to say about the typical body type of white women.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 1, 2013 1:03:18 PM

13. @Jamal49,

Are you a black male? Do you trace you family to the deep south or south in general? Can you explain to me why most of the MANY American born black people I've known in my life who can trace their family background to the south LOVE the south, are often obsessed with it, eat southern-style food, use southern slang, frequently travel back and forth north to south to north? And most American black folks like I described that I've know have nothing bad to say about southern whites, it's usually northern white they dislike.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 1, 2013 1:07:25 PM

14. The coach was caught being evil and now he's lying.

Love that Jesus.

Posted by: Polyboy | Feb 1, 2013 1:16:11 PM

15. It's strange that someone surrounded by children can't tell how childish he is.

Posted by: Fensox | Feb 1, 2013 1:19:12 PM

16. Ratbastard, your point is well taken, but in that small town of 1245 people, there is likely a gay kid or two who might be in that class room. This teacher not on inflicts his hatred on that kid, he gives permission for the other kids to believe it as well. I should know, I grew up in a town of 1450 in Alabama.

Posted by: Kyle | Feb 1, 2013 1:20:58 PM

17. What Kyle said.

Posted by: RyanInWyo | Feb 1, 2013 1:27:24 PM

18. Unemployment is so easy to come by these days.

Posted by: Brian | Feb 1, 2013 1:32:36 PM

19. Imagine what he has said that didn't get recorded!

Posted by: Howard | Feb 1, 2013 1:36:29 PM

20. This hateful speech specialist is a total moron and teaches psychology? How is this possible?

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Feb 1, 2013 1:40:41 PM

21. Ratbastard: I agree with your general statement against generalizing what a group feels. However, as an Alabama native who returns to visit family several times a year, I don't think anyone would be off-base to assume that the VAST MAJORITY of the state is homophobic and bigoted.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 1, 2013 1:48:40 PM

22. Funny that we have a number of "progressive" gays, including some writers on Towleroad, who think that it is great to refer to gay and lesbian people as "queers." Queer is never an acceptable term. You can't reclaim it or turn it into something good. When you use that word, you are just muddying the waters and giving permission to homophobes to use it too.

Posted by: Ben | Feb 1, 2013 1:53:08 PM

23. You know, Homophobia is soooooo gay. He's so afraid that gays will treat him like he treats women and that lesbians will treat his woman better than he does-- to quote a couple of wonderful sayings.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Feb 1, 2013 2:00:08 PM

24. hmmm - they always 'mis-speak', don't they? yeah, right...

Posted by: ACe | Feb 1, 2013 2:05:48 PM

25. Please call the superintendents office of lauderdale Alabama. I just did. This is disgusting. The phone number is 256-760-4021

Posted by: Wes | Feb 1, 2013 2:08:39 PM