Education | Indiana | News

Indiana Teacher (Probably Diana Medley) Suspended for Anti-Gay Remarks

An Indiana teacher has been suspended for anti-gay remarks, and you can probably guess who it is, the Indy Channel reports:

MedleySuperintendent Mark Baker of the Northeast School Corp. in western Indiana's Sullivan County issued a statement Wednesday saying the teacher has been placed on administrative leave and that state and local police are stationing officers at North Central Junior-Senior High School as a precaution because of "aggressive" email messages sent to the school and the teacher.

Baker did not identify the teacher, but special education teacher Diana Medley's comments have circulated widely on social networking sites amid news coverage of an alternative prom dance at a nearby school that would ban gay students.

Said Medley: "We don't agree with it (homosexuality), and it's offensive to us. Homosexual students come to me with their problems, and I don't agree with them, but I care about them. It's the same thing with my special needs kids. I think God puts everyone in our lives for a reason...I honestly don't [think gays have a purpose]. Sorry, but I don't. I don't understand it. A gay person isn't going to come up and make some change unless it's to realize that it was a choice and they're choosing God."

Comments

1. BGB... Bye, girl, bye.

Good riddance, at least for the time being.

Posted by: The Milkman | Feb 21, 2013 9:16:06 AM

2. Things have certainly changed from when I was in high school. If one of my teachers had said such things about The Gays there would have been high-5's all around.

I believe in free speech and I feel we're all entitled to express our opinions but it's important for people like Medley to know that words have consequences. I think she's learned that lesson.

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 21, 2013 9:19:00 AM

3. In the words of Grumpy Cat:

GOOD

Posted by: Rich F. | Feb 21, 2013 9:19:51 AM

4. GIGI is right. This woman, and all like her, need to understand that homohatred is one of those Biblically-justifiable but no-longer-socially-acceptable biases. No, the government isn't going to take away your free speech rights... but your employer and/or your community might cause you to regret such a squalid public display.

Posted by: The Milkman | Feb 21, 2013 9:23:08 AM

5. Does Laura Dern teach in Indiana??

Posted by: Lars | Feb 21, 2013 9:29:23 AM

6. She is a truly disgusting human being. I'm from Indiana and she is a true embarrassment to the entire state.

Posted by: Reality | Feb 21, 2013 9:35:37 AM

7. LARS--Thank you!! I've been trying to place it ever since seeing her face. Except Laura Dern has mastered the art of smiling and having it actually reach her eyes.

[And completely off topic, but "Diana Medley" sounds like something out of one of my mom's old timey recipe books. Probably would have lima beans and jello cubes]

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 21, 2013 9:41:59 AM

8. Wonder where she got her degree. Evidently she forgot separate but equal doesn't work and is ILLEGAL in this country. She is an insult to the profession.

Posted by: KsBrian | Feb 21, 2013 9:50:55 AM

9. Another Nazi-Barbie.....good riddance!!

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Feb 21, 2013 9:52:17 AM

10. Satisfying.

Posted by: NullNaught | Feb 21, 2013 9:55:34 AM

11. The statement that she sees gay people just like she sees her special education students is also disturbing. If she thinks that homosexuals are less than human, does that mean she feels the same way about those who have developmental problems? If that's the case, she doesn't need to be a special education teacher.

Posted by: Cadence | Feb 21, 2013 9:56:28 AM

12. Please don't call her Nazi Barbie. Barbie is much prettier than she is.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 21, 2013 10:11:32 AM

13. Well, when she is re-instated (this is Indiana), I really hope they start sending gay students to someone else for counseling.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Feb 21, 2013 10:21:30 AM

14. these are the great minds in education today? Dear God.

Posted by: Sean | Feb 21, 2013 10:23:32 AM

15. Is it PAID administrative leave? We need to keep a collective eye on this cretin or she WILL be back.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Feb 21, 2013 10:24:09 AM

16. I definitely don't believe she has ANY business near a public school with her bigotry and hateful religious rhetoric. However, I really regret if there have been threats of violence toward her or the school just from a tactical standpoint. Let the homophobes rant and make threats, expose themselves for who they are and show their "Christian love" for what it is: pure bullsh*t. But in this respect at least we need to claim the moral high ground.

Posted by: Caliban | Feb 21, 2013 10:25:00 AM

17. That's right Medley, you care for the kids, but not for the fact that they are homosexual;
    sounds like a gloss on "love the sinner hate the sin."
    Same $h1t, different day.
    Let's call you what you are, a bigot.
    Let them have a "sepatate but equal" prom.
    And yeah, we don't have a purpose; were you a Nazi in the thirties ?

I wouldn't let you within an a$$'s roar of children.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 21, 2013 10:26:39 AM

18. I believe in the right of misguided or evil parents to have a private prom with a discriminatory guest list.

At the same time, I think it would be marvelous if there was a gay "Prom Squad" that kicks into gear when this happens to throw an inclusive prom in competition with the exclusive prom and if the gay-inclusive prom could enlist the help of a celebrity centerpiece, ie someone who means something to that age group and whose picture on the cover a magazine inspires me to say 'Who?". Limousines optional.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 21, 2013 11:04:06 AM

19. I just realized the flaw to our thinking. The prom isn't supposed to be inclusive and it isn't a priority that everyone feel welcome or have a good time. A prom is some kind of low-budget royal wedding for commoners to emulate their betters for one night by crowning their king and queen and having a court to serve them.

PS - if you haven't seen Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997) you really must.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 21, 2013 11:09:05 AM

20. @Stefan: no problem :) The resemblance is indeed uncanny.

Posted by: Lars | Feb 21, 2013 11:18:12 AM

21. Things do and are getting better when stupid homophobic comments like hers are not acceptable in a bright red state like Indiana.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 21, 2013 11:28:26 AM

22. Not only is she an idiot, but her dichotic "hate the sin, love the sinner" attitude is pathological. She's untrustworthy for a public servant position and more than likely her statements (even if they were before a private organization) goes against school district policy. I work for a municipality and when you're hired, you have to sign off on certain things that the private sector could never get away with. Her suspension (if it was, indeed, her) is highly justifiable.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Feb 21, 2013 12:56:31 PM

23. Good riddance!

Posted by: Jason | Feb 21, 2013 1:45:48 PM

24. From what I have read she has not been suspended. She has been placed on paid administrative leave for safety purposes and no disciplinary action has been taken against Ms. Medley. So far, the School Corporation, In my humble opinion, has created a PR nightmare with the release of the initial press release and subsequent press releases.

Posted by: Jorge Sanchez | Feb 21, 2013 3:34:44 PM

25. Jorge, can you imagine being a parent with kids that go to the school she's a councilor at ?

I mean, it's hard to imagine that some parents haven't contacted the district with their concerns and demanded that their kids NOT have ANY interaction with the woman.

The whole Straight Prom thing is a PR disaster. That class, in 20 years, when they have their reunion, are going to be VERY uncomfortable, and deservedly so.

Myself, I made sure everyone in my class was extremely uncomfortable at our 20th, which I wasn't invited to, and which they apologized for after the fact. And empty and hypocritical apology, but an amusing and slightly satisfying one none the less.

Posted by: Frank | Feb 21, 2013 4:44:00 PM