Comments

1. says

In the past I have equated myself as the gay Forest Gump and recently thought of adding Vivian Maier to my moniker. Without putting myself in the same league… however I’m jealous that all this great publicity, there is not one image in her collection that anybody really knows what Vivian was thinking or saying why she was there.
    My collection is just several thousand images… yet I have almost instant recall of the events leading up to the photo. My most important GAY footnote was recreated in the movie “MILK”. However,little or nothing happened the way it was depicted in the movie. If you do a google search of Harvey Milk with a bullhorn… just mine and the series of Sean Penn for the movie. If you care to see how it happened.

This is the kind of stuff missing from Vivian’s images. It’s like silent movies until the “talkies” began.

2. Jack M says

Her photographs are so good they bring tears to my eyes. Absolutely astounding! Can’t wait to see the documentary.

3. tominsf says

My grandmother had similar foxes on her stole, which she wore on Sundays and on occasions of gravitas and importance. It produced a similar effect, but you have to imagine the intensity of the perfume, of course. My grandmother was built like a battleship, and in her corset, moved like one.

I have to admire the effect of the severe goring in the photo above. It was a different era, hard to imagine these days.

4. Michael says

Oh I can’t wait to see this! I’m not really a photography buff but her work is so effecting! Reminds me of Richard Avedon a little bit, but somehow even more moving. Each of her photos is strange, and personal, and beautifully composed without being staged and so compelling.

5. Adam F says

@JPTBP: Sorry I have to disagree with you here. I think that’s the great thing about Vivian’s work. No one knows what she was thinking, but you don’t have to. Every image evokes a greater story…a pinhole view to an IMAX life. Who cares the circumstances? To have the ability to capture these moments on the street with such stunning composition and evocativeness is amazing and, in my opinion, puts her in league with the greats like Cartier-Bresson. But I find her images even more captivating than his. And it is perhaps her unstudied unknowing that makes the images so unique. I am excited that such a discovery was made in my lifetime…

6. tinkerbell says

More like Diane Arbus, but with tender. I agree that the images are magical, cannot wait to see the documentary either. Too bad there is not a book available now…

7. AMS says

Saw a showing of her work in Chicago two years ago. Some of the images are so amazing you can hardly stand to look away. And the story of the discovery of her photos after her death makes the whole thing all the more surreal.

8. Johnson says

@Tinkerbell: There are at least two books of VM’s photographs that have been out for several months. Check amazon.