Federal Prop 8 Trial | Gay Marriage | Ken Mehlman | News | Proposition 8 | Rick Santorum | Supreme Court

Rick Santorum: I Like Ken Mehlman, But Gay Marriage 'Not in the Best Interest of the Country': VIDEO

Santorum

CNN asks Rick Santorum, "why take such a strong stance against gay marriage?"

"Well, why take a strong stance for it? We should all bring to the table what we think is in the best interest of the country....I know Ken. I like Ken. I've worked with Ken for years. And Ken and I disagree on this issue. We disagree adamantly on this issue. But I respect his right to go to the court and make his case."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Good lord, that photo of Rick is so horrendous, it made me unload Santorum in my pants.

Posted by: Firestorm | Feb 28, 2013 12:11:22 PM

2. Typical republican, He didn't answer the question.

Posted by: Edd | Feb 28, 2013 12:11:55 PM

3. He looks like he is going to cry

Posted by: Steve | Feb 28, 2013 12:16:32 PM

4. What a silly statement.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 28, 2013 12:17:49 PM

5. Why does he always look as if he is looking into the sun?

Posted by: Will | Feb 28, 2013 12:20:18 PM

6. Better question is: why does anyone ask his opinion? He's outmoded, non-thinking, gut-reactionary. The worst possible person to get a reasoned answer from. His religious rights trump everyone else.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Feb 28, 2013 12:26:23 PM

7. "They should go to the American public". That is what they are doing. The GOP is jumping on the bandwagon simply because it is now popular.

Posted by: simon | Feb 28, 2013 12:32:16 PM

8. Can Ken Mehlman be forgiven for his past action as a dominant player in the Republican party and using that to advance an anti-gay agenda? Perhaps not. But, if there is something that can serve as penance, then he is doing that.

One cannot overstate the importance of the amicus brief that he filed.
    By bringing in prominent Republicans - and the list seems to be growing - he has provided a Conservative rationale that might appeal to the Conservative Justices. It also gives those Republican Justices more "cover" in their decision. And it adds to the impression that equal marriage rights iare no longer a Democratic value; they are a human
    value.

Will this persuade Scalia? No. Nothing will. He will go down as being on the wrong side of history and one of the worst Suoreme Court Justices in history. He will be seen as the arrogant, bigoted, mean-spirited person that he is. His narrow - and wrong-headed - approach to the Constitution should have nade him unfit for his position. He has, for many, diminished the prestige of the Supreme Court.

Posted by: Gr8guyca | Feb 28, 2013 12:32:33 PM

9. Ken Mehlman can only be forgiven when those states which outlawed marriage equality thanks to his toxic efforts, overturn those decisions.

Until then Mehlman remains a hideous slimeball who deserves utter contempt.

Posted by: MaryM | Feb 28, 2013 12:36:29 PM

10. Just when you think the body politic has finally rid itself of the stench of Santorum, it pops up and soils its panties again.

Posted by: Mark Alexander | Feb 28, 2013 12:38:54 PM

11. Santorum just lost the one closeted gay man in DC that would even try to touch him.

Little Rickey is SAAAAAAAAADDD...

Posted by: anachro1 | Feb 28, 2013 12:41:16 PM

12. His pancake makeup appears to have been troweled on today. I keep wishing this troll would go away, but he keeps popping back up, determined to remain visible in hopes of some remaining political career.

Posted by: Abel | Feb 28, 2013 1:06:19 PM

13. I hate to state the obvious, but can I just point out that Rick Santorum is a gargantuan nutsack?

Posted by: sam | Feb 28, 2013 1:25:47 PM

14. his marriage isn't in the best interest of the country

Posted by: t | Feb 28, 2013 1:28:45 PM

15. You being on TV isn't in the best interest of the country, Frothy.

Marriage equality, however, is.

Posted by: Rich F. | Feb 28, 2013 1:36:00 PM

16. You know what's not in the best interest of the country?

Santorum.

It is been put to several votes. He keeps losing them.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Feb 28, 2013 1:37:31 PM

17. Ken Melman is approved by Frothy.

What more could possibly be said of either contributor to our cause of equality and parity of esteem for the gay community.

Sometimes I just want to throw up.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 28, 2013 1:43:15 PM

18. Weren't the Jim Crow laws overturned by the courts instead of by "the people"? I would love to hear someone ask Santorum if he feels the same way about those judicial decisions that changed the fabric of American society fo the better, even against the will of many people.

Posted by: Neil | Feb 28, 2013 2:17:19 PM

19. Santorum: "My last son was stillborn, and I'm pretty sure that there's at least one gay among my remaining 7 children, so i'm really hoping my bigotry will help me lose one more"

pretty much.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 28, 2013 2:22:54 PM

20. I'm hoping Santorum plays a huge role in the 2016 Presidential primaries because he's the ultimate spoiler.

His Chicken Little approach to marriage equality drives Middle America to our side.

At the same time, he forces moderate Republican candidates to the far right on social issues which makes the whole party as unelectable as Santorum is himself.

I say the more Santorum press coverage, the better.

Posted by: Bob Hope | Feb 28, 2013 2:30:53 PM

21. Isnt the stillborn child the one he took home to the family kept it over night and slept with the body? Now thats real family value. He is just sick and closeted

Posted by: mark | Feb 28, 2013 3:26:19 PM

22. The simplest questions, Santorum has no answers for. Ask him how marriage equality hurts his marriage, and he'll ask you how it helps him. There is no 'there' there.

Posted by: Zero is Not My Hero | Feb 28, 2013 7:07:04 PM

23. I personally don't think a frothy mix is "good for our country!" Sorry Ricky..homophobia thankfully doesn't win votes anymore. Crawl back under a rock you bigot!

Posted by: Jim Stone | Feb 28, 2013 8:30:37 PM

24. Gay marriage is good for the country. Rick Santorum is NOT good for anythingn

Posted by: Bilstr | Feb 28, 2013 11:45:52 PM

25. Why is this fecal matter in this blog? slow news day?

Posted by: DC Arnold | Mar 1, 2013 7:51:01 AM