BigGayDeal.com

News: Ezra Miller, Anthony Kennedy, Gay Adoption, Eagle Scouts

RoadThe father of Jadin Bell, who hanged himself in an Oregon schoolyard last month, said he had loved his son and accepted him for who he was: "I think we need more of that," said Joe Bell, whose 15-year-old son, Jadin, had been bullied before trying to take his life.  "I don't want Jadin's death to be in vain," Bell said in a voice choking with emotion. "I want it to stand for something. I think we need to look at people for who they are and not who we think they should be."

KennedyRoadGay dad invites SCOTUS Justice Anthony Kennedy to dinner at his home: "If you come, you will meet my 10-year-old sons, who will likely impress you, given how personable, articulate, polite and bright they are...If you were to come to dinner with my family, you would also meet Jim. He is the man in my life..."

RoadCissy Houston won't be accepting Clive Davis' invitation to his pre-Grammy party.

RoadHRC dissatisfied with Pentagon inaction on same-sex benefits: "There's no explanation for the delay. It's been over two years now since the President signed the repeal bill. Every day that goes by is another day of unnecessary sacrifice for our families," Human Rights Campaign vice president for communications Fred Sainz told BuzzFeed Friday evening.

RoadUkraine to ban discrimination against gays, rather than ban gay "propaganda"? "Ukraine’s foreign minister Leonid Kozhara stated that a law prohibiting discrimination against gays will be adopted soon, in order to speed up visa entry harmonization with the European Union. During an interview with the Polish newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza, Kozhara stated yesterday (7 February): ‘The issue of homosexuals is now generating strong controversy in Ukraine, but our government has already prepared a draft law and will soon submit it to the parliament..."

RoadA bunch of cool minimalist posters for Oscar-nominated films.

CoupleRoadFOX News accidentally uses photo of same-sex couple to illustrate article about the importance of heterosexual marriage.

RoadValerie Jarrett blogs on Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day: "I had the pleasure of meeting with leaders who are doing outstanding work to prevent new HIV infections and improve health outcomes for African-Americans.  We shared stories and discussed the importance of engaging everyone in these efforts, including faith leaders, educators, athletes, entertainers, artists, scientists, healthcare providers as well as friends, families, and neighbors. This approach also reflects the National HIV/AIDS Strategy, which calls for a collective response to the ongoing domestic epidemic, and sets specific goals with regard to addressing HIV-related disparities among African-Americans."

RoadOne gay couple talks about their journey to adopting a child: "I wish we had known that we didn’t need to worry about 'the what-ifs.' We didn’t need to fit into a certain box to become parents and we didn’t need to say this or that to become parents.  All we had to do was be ourselves and everything else would happen when it is/was supposed to. Fortunately, we learned it very early on in our journey."

MillerRoadEzra Miller: I was gay bashed. "One time I was at a show in New York City for a hardcore band. I was wearing a velvet green jacket, and I was doing sort of a swing step, kind of Lindy-hopping in the mosh pit. Then I walked out of the mosh pit, and I was standing in the back of the crowd, someone tapped me on the shoulder, and all I heard was the word, 'Faggot.' I got punched in the eye."

RoadJ. Justin Wilson and Steven Seigel write about how their Eagle Scout badges helped prepare them for marriage: "Although it has been more than a decade since we both earned our Eagle Scout badges, we can still recite that mantra from memory. So it seemed like an obvious choice for our marriage vows—those values embodied the essence of what we learned as scouts, and they continue to guide our conduct today. For us, earning our Eagle was about much more than learning to tie knots or build a fire in the rain. Although those are important skills scouts learn along the way, at its core, the Boy Scouts is about imparting the amorphous but critical skill of leadership. The basic premise of scouting is to build a future generation of leaders, to grow a cadre of young men who embody the moral and ethical virtues of a society and have the capacity to mobilize those values for good."

Comments

1. HRC's disappointed? WOW! Stop the presses! Then start them up again and write: "If the 'leaders' of Gay, Inc., who are PAID to fight for their donors' equality hadn't spent the last two years doing nothing but throw kisses at the President perhaps he wouldn't have refused in that time to keep his campaign promise to create nondiscrimination policies post repeal—instead incomprehensibly bending over for the homophobes still running the Pentagon while bragging about how well implementation went.
    "

Posted by: Michael Bedwellchael | Feb 9, 2013 8:11:39 PM

2. Ezra Miller is purdy.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 9, 2013 9:46:09 PM

3. Ignoring the above poster, Ezra Miller is a very intelligent young man. Well spoken, expressive, self-aware and strong awareness of the world around him. I like him. How he matter-of-factly talked about being gay bashed was sort of chilling but goes back to that awareness of self and the world around him he has.

Hopefully Ukraine enacts a discrimination policy, thank you FOX for making the point that same-sex couples are no less valid than opposite-sex couples, and Jadin Bell, we will not allow your death be in vain.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 9, 2013 11:04:59 PM

4. For you Jadin and for your family I will work all the harder to help those than I can reach.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 9, 2013 11:35:11 PM

5. Invitation to Justice Kennedy....of course, come meet my perfect children, and my perfect boyfriend because only examples of perfection can sway you. We are perfection personified. But what is so perfect today, may not be so tomorrow Opt for tomorrow.

Posted by: Josh | Feb 10, 2013 12:09:00 AM

6. Justice Kennedy is purdier. Way more.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 10, 2013 2:46:41 AM

7. JOSH: who said anything about perfection? Since you must be above perfection, what have you done for equality, or for your community for that matter? Instead of just tearing other people down maybe you should get off your butt and do something productive.

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 10, 2013 3:00:18 AM

8. Re: Justin Wilson, the Eagle Scout who just married his boyfriend. No coincidence that its face obscured in their photo? Apparently he earns his money fighting MADD and the CDC:

Posted by: tcw | Feb 10, 2013 5:26:15 AM

9. *his face

Posted by: tcw | Feb 10, 2013 5:26:36 AM

10. ratbastard: Purdy? the guy is very articulate, specially for an actor (a good bunch of them are not exactly smart) and for a very young man

Posted by: jjose712 | Feb 10, 2013 6:01:54 AM

11. Ezra is Beyond Brilliant. His performance in "The Perks of Being A Wallflower" offers one of the few occasions when a gay actor as been cast as a gay character. There's a difference. Especially as the gay character in question is out, forthright and resolute.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 10, 2013 9:15:09 AM

12. I love Ezra Miller and I hope his career is a long and productive one.

HRC continues to be an elitist conglomerate of pissy queens and lipstickers that is more interested at whose table they sit during fundraisers that actually doing anything to help LGBT people.

Ironic that the Ukraine, a very Catholic country, may succeed in doing what Russia, a very Orthodox country and of which the Ukraine was once a part, cannot do: provide legal protection for gay people.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 10, 2013 9:44:02 AM

13. LOL...Mr. Miller is pretty! I said it as a compliment. So I used 'purdy' for pretty...so what. I didn't comment on his intelligence one way or the other, I don't know the gentleman,personally. Funny people on TR. Some of you try to come across as 'progressive' but you're often quite tight-a**ed.

And some people throw out the word 'Brilliant' way too much.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 10, 2013 11:54:15 AM

14. amen, D.E.

Perks was one of the unsung films of the past year, too. Everyone I spoke to who was critical of it seems to have forgotten what it was like to be a teenager. And Miller, gay playing gay, brought a vitality and defiance and truth that is almost always lost in translation, when the young gay lead is played by a strapping young straight.

This guy's gonna help change things> werrrrk.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 10, 2013 12:50:41 PM

15. Ezra Miller in We Need to Talk About Kevin >>>>> Ezra Miller in Perks of Being a Wallflower. That said, he's great in both.

He's also pretty great in Another Happy Day.

And for once, I agree with ratbastard. He is pretty. That isn't all he is, but it's fine to acknowledge that.

Posted by: FancyPants | Feb 10, 2013 2:04:41 PM