Catholic Church | News | Pope Benedict | Vatican

Pope to Live with His Rumored Secret Boyfriend in Retirement

Popegay

Talk of Pope Benedict's close relationship with his "personal secretary" Georg Ganswein has been around for some time. I wrote about it HERE six years ago.

Andrew Sullivan examines the Pope's uber-gay retirement arrangements:

The only thing the Pope will give up, apparently, are his red Prada shoes. He has some fabulous brown leather artisanal ones to replace them. But this is what really made me sit up straight, so to speak:

Benedict’s trusted secretary, Monsignor Georg Gänswein, will be serving both pontiffs — living with Benedict at the monastery inside the Vatican and keeping his day job as prefect of the new pope’s household. Asked about the potential conflicts, Lombardi was defensive, saying the decisions had been clearly reasoned and were likely chosen for the sake of simplicity. “I believe it was well thought out,” he said.

So Benedict’s handsome male companion will continue to live with him, while working for the other Pope during the day.

Adding:

This man – clearly in some kind of love with Ratzinger (and vice-versa) will now be working for the new Pope as secretary in the day and spending the nights with the Pope Emeritus. This is not the Vatican. It’s Melrose Place.

Business Insider chimes in:

Sullivan isn't exactly alone in his suspicions. He points towards a book by Angelo Quattrocchi (playfully titled "The Pope is Not Gay") that he felt reached similar conclusions. In addition, former Benedictine monk-priest and author Richard Sipe claims to have spoken to a number of Roman clerics and members of the Roman press corps who were "convinced" that Benedict XVI was gay.

Of course, it doesn't help the rumors that Ganswein has become something of a star in his own right. He's been dubbed the "The George Clooney of the Vatican,” and appeared on the cover of the Italian Vanity Fair under the headline “It’s no sin to be good looking.” Donatella Versace has even dedicated a menswear collection to him.

Gawker visually documents the rumored secret boyfriend and his Pope.

Comments

1. I apologize in advance for my lack of maturity.

See, whenever someone speaks of a disturbing individual's lover, the first thing that pops in my mind is: "Can you imagine him on top of you?!"

Ewwwwwwwwww.

Posted by: Maguitac | Feb 28, 2013 11:06:59 AM

2. I fail to see why some gay people think it's clever to say that the Pope is gay, or that a given anti-gay republican is gay. Yes, I get that you are pointing out the gross hypocrisy, but you're still basically calling them f-words and using gay in a derogatory way. I don't think that homophobes are all gay, I think they are all jackasses.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 28, 2013 11:14:06 AM

3. I was born in 1965 and, based variously on books, articles, gossip, news accounts, and my own gaydar, I believe we've had one heterosexual Pope -- John Paul II -- in my lifetime.

Posted by: Steve Scarborough | Feb 28, 2013 11:21:23 AM

4. I find it incredibly sinister that the pope's lover/secretary will continue to work for the new pope.

Just as I found it incredibly sinister that Ratzinger retired rather than died, before being replaced.

So the former member of Hitler Youth - Pope Ratzinger - will not only be able to influence the selection of his replacement (in order to continue his toxic campaign of misogyny and homophobia; through his lover/companion he will also be able to influence the new pope.

Ratzinger is possessed of an evil brilliance.

Posted by: MaryM | Feb 28, 2013 11:26:48 AM

5. I think the Church's stance on gay men and women is sad. Everyone knows many priests are gay. Catholics know people are gay. To disavow and call it disordered is arrogant and plain wrong. Failure to prosecute and admit that some priests are guilty of sexual abuse is horrific. They are not perfect and why did they cover crimes up. I think because they are arrogant and just stupid. Ask Nixon, nobody can cover up anything now.

Posted by: Tim | Feb 28, 2013 11:27:32 AM

6. I totally agree with David Hearne. Andrew Sullivan's article is shameful, and as usual, pompous. It is based on pure speculation which we would vigorously denounce if a straight person did the same to us. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar - we are dealing with a monarch who has a devoted servant, just like Queen Elizabeth or the Japanese Emperor. And then Sullivan says Benedict has a penchant for fine clothes - Go figure! Isn't it his job to uphold a 2000 year old tradition, which includes all its historical regalia? Sullivan expounds a petty, vicious line of thinking that makes us all look bad.

Posted by: Phil | Feb 28, 2013 11:31:16 AM

7. How does anyone know in advance who the new pope will choose to be his "prefect", whatever that is?

Posted by: andrew | Feb 28, 2013 11:44:16 AM

8. If this is true, it will be too much for the Catholic church to handle. Oh boy. I don't believe it until proven true.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 28, 2013 12:22:56 PM

9. How long have they been "companions"? Even before he poped?

Posted by: simon | Feb 28, 2013 12:24:11 PM

10. I apologize in advance for being petty- I am just pissed that he can get a BF and I can't...or a servant...either one...

Posted by: Booka | Feb 28, 2013 12:25:22 PM

11. Pope Benedict XVI will be remembered as the Great Apostate. No Pope should override the will of God and resign. The Pope is chosen FOR LIFE through the intervention of the Holy Spirit. Are we f*ing Protestants?

Posted by: DismayedandDisgusted | Feb 28, 2013 12:37:42 PM

12. Sullivan only thinks he's an expert on things Catholic. He's mostly just a gossip enamored of his own accent.

Let's start with the fact that Ganswein has no status that the new pope can't change, and the new guy will surely want his own staff in place ASAP.

As for the resignation, the pope is Bishop of Rome and bishops resign all the time. The emeritus title is kinda pompous but just betrays Benedict's academic background and bias.

There's little to hope for from the election to come, but why not hope for a miracle.

Posted by: Chuckles | Feb 28, 2013 12:52:07 PM

13. Marym - there was no "Pope Ratzinger" - he changed his name when he was elevated.

Posted by: Wil | Feb 28, 2013 12:55:45 PM

14. That is true Disgusting Dismayer. He was chosen by the will of God and it's odd that he would commit this act of heresy.

Posted by: Kissyfur | Feb 28, 2013 1:35:44 PM

15. looks like all the priests like 'em younger...

Posted by: t | Feb 28, 2013 1:37:13 PM

16. You could be Pope Andy -- you're a rumored secret. For some people, speculating about who might be gay, is much more satisfying than actually being gay.

Posted by: Gary | Feb 28, 2013 2:39:15 PM

17. Benedicta-honey, don't' worry, they're die from envy in Ascot!

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Feb 28, 2013 2:43:28 PM

18. @David Hearne: Last summer, within a one week period, I heard two independent rumors about Ratzinger's sexual orientation. One was from a person who knew someone whose boyfriend was high up in the San Francisco archdiocese and claimed to have done it with Ratzinger, but years before Ratzinger became the pope. The second was from someone who had a gay landlord in Munich - the claim ws that Ratzinger was seen in gay bars during the years he was stationed in Munich.

Of course, there is no way for me to verify any of that, and none of it is first-hand information, but if Ratzinger actually is gay, I wouldn't be surprised.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 28, 2013 2:50:35 PM

19. I fail to see how it's "heresy" to resign, it's allowed under current Canon Law.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Feb 28, 2013 3:04:18 PM

20. It's a bit much to think he'd have lots of influence over the new pope after the selection process (which he can help shape for sure--and already has through selection of cardinals). The primary objection is that he could have stayed pope, so this has to be a step down, plus he's kinda old.

Posted by: anon | Feb 28, 2013 3:15:34 PM

21. LOL at people getting offended at the rumors. It's not as if they aren't completely baseless and it's not like they haven't existed for years.

Georg is definitely attractive for his age. He can do a lot better than Ratzinger.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 28, 2013 3:16:50 PM

22. Can't wait for the book...then the movie...then the musical!

Posted by: Bryan | Feb 28, 2013 3:23:11 PM

23. Divorce is prohibited, but the Pope can resign?

I have disliked him since he emerge from the Vatican bureaucracy, but resigning the papacy is completely inconsistent with ex-Pope Benedict XVI, Pope Emeritus, Cardinal Ratzinger or whatever else he calls himself now's hardline stances on church tradition and teaching.

He epitomizes Hypocrisy.

I predict that a group of Catholics will refuse to recognize the "new Pope", because they will still consider Pope Benedict XVI Pope, whether he himself accepts it or not.

This whole twisted mess is a very bad omen.

Posted by: DismayedandDisgusted | Feb 28, 2013 3:39:38 PM

24. I guess the only way the Pope can win is if he lives out his days in complete isolation from males or females. There is no such thing as platonic relationships. There has to be sex involved, right?

Posted by: Kenny | Feb 28, 2013 4:59:47 PM