Chris Kluwe | Football (American) | News | Sports | Thomas Roberts

Chris Kluwe Talks with Thomas Roberts About Chris Culliver, the 49ers, and Gay Rights Advocacy: VIDEO

Roberts_kluwe

MSNBC's Thomas Roberts spoke with Vikings punter Chris Kluwe today about recent events in pro football - namely, the Chris Culliver incident and the 49ers 'It Gets Better' video debacle. Also, whether activism and pro sports belong together, and what he thinks will happen in his home state of Minnesota with marriage equality.

It all goes down, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Kluwe is awesome.

Posted by: Zlick | Feb 5, 2013 8:27:12 PM

2. What a sweet guy. Rational, forthright, articulate, genuinely caring and careful. His (girlfriend/wife?) is lucky, indeed...as are we all. Politics?

Posted by: Geoff | Feb 5, 2013 8:47:09 PM

3. Man, he sounds so much more intelligent than Richard Land. And better looking.

Posted by: Lottie Moon | Feb 5, 2013 9:09:06 PM

4. Seriously, PLEASE don't feed the troll or you allow him to hijack what is otherwise a positive post.

Posted by: Marc C | Feb 5, 2013 9:36:59 PM

5. There's troll and then there's the occasional Hatemonger spewing anti-gay venom on a gay-centric website. I have to wonder why there isn't more of that, considering the world full of anti-gay freakazoids out there. So I assume there's some kind of - dare I say it - comment section moderating going on. And if not, there should be.

If the staff doesn't have time for such things, and I imagine they don't - perhaps it should be entrusted to the only regular commenter who seems to have the time and inclination to be involved in every comment thread for every story on Towleroad. And I say that only half-jokingly.

Posted by: Zlick | Feb 5, 2013 9:41:29 PM

6. http://video.msnbc.msn.com/msnbc/50706715#50706715
    Link is broken on Towleroad

Posted by: John | Feb 5, 2013 9:49:44 PM

7. Dear Funinshows:

Are your drug claims and any other allegations confirmed? If not, Tiffany's lawyer may want to talk to you.

You are not funny.

Posted by: GLORIA | Feb 5, 2013 9:55:50 PM

8. Roberts is Gay Autoanimatronics. He's a loyal soldier for the cause, but he should realize that most of the world is straight, and could care less about same sex sex. We all await an on-air gaffe by Robert to break his "gay straight generic" on air presentation.

Posted by: Josh | Feb 5, 2013 10:26:48 PM

9. Kluwe is like a male version of Gloria Allred. An opportunist and media whore, and I don't trust him.

Posted by: Erick | Feb 5, 2013 10:31:24 PM

10. Erick! What a horrible comment. If somebody calls you an attention-seeking comment whore, is that fair?

I think it really reflects on the nature of our struggle that we attract the brightest and most articulate people in the NFL (Brendon, Chris, Connor Barwin, and Scott Fujita). You can FEEL the optimism in the air. It's all turning around for us now after years of coming out, activism, and education. The vote in Maine, Maryland, and Washington was a such beautiful breakthrough. We owe some gratitude to Obama as well as our straight allies. Obama truly was a catalyst for changing african-american hearts and minds after his endorsement. I saw the poll numbers shift in Maryland within the course of four weeks. It feels good to be living through this period.

Posted by: will | Feb 6, 2013 12:14:52 AM

11. Did I miss a memo? All the straight allies seem to be wearing knit caps.

Posted by: melvin | Feb 6, 2013 1:00:55 AM

12. ^Melvin, it's winter...

Posted by: oliver | Feb 6, 2013 3:04:44 AM

13. What a "cool dude"! And what a great straight ally to have in our team. For those who don't know, Chris is married to a woman and has 2 little girls. His brother-n-law (wife's brother) is gay. I wonder if that is why he is so open minded and gung ho on being such an advocate for GLBT equality and free speech? Something tells me that being from the liberal part of California (the middle is conservative btw) helped him formed his strong opinion for equality for ALL.

Thank you Chris!

Posted by: FunMe | Feb 6, 2013 3:27:22 AM

14. Every time I hear him he's even more articulate and better grounded about this issue. He's clearly a thoughtful man--and a good guy.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Feb 6, 2013 7:35:14 AM

15. Interesting that the straight ally seems to understand equality so much more than the gay interviewer! I'm a bit ashamed that I've so stereotyped NFL players as meathead morons. Chris, Brendon and all the other allies -- thanks for standing up for me. I'll now stop the dumb jock stereotyping.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 6, 2013 8:29:14 AM

16. I love Kluwe.

@Erick: How about spending time researching Kluwe before you display your ignorance?

@Melvin & Oliver: Winter is irrelevant for Kluwe and his hat:(

@FunMe: His public statements center on his upbringing and not his brother-in-law.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Feb 6, 2013 6:24:48 PM