Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Football (American) | Tim Tebow

Tim Tebow Cancels Appearance at Anti-Gay Extremist Megachurch

TebowFootball player Tim Tebow today canceled an April appearance at First Baptist Dallas megachurch, a place of worship whose pastor Robert Jeffress has made extremist statements about Roman Catholics, Mormons, Muslims, gays and lesbians and President Obama.

Apparently Tebow caught a whiff of something on the internet.

He tweeted:

While I was looking forward to sharing a message of hope and Christ's unconditional love with the faithful members of the historic...First Baptist Church of Dallas in April, due to new information that has been brought to my attention, I have decided to cancel my upcoming appearance. I will continue to use the platform God has blessed me with to bring Faith, Hope and Love to all those needing a brighter day. Thank you for all of your love and support. God Bless!

Comments

1. not so dumb as i thunk he was...

Posted by: bandanajack | Feb 21, 2013 11:20:53 AM

2. Christ doesn't have much love if refuse to worship him. Then it's off to the eternal barbeque. Unconditional my ass.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 21, 2013 11:21:15 AM

3. He needs attention badly, but not that badly.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 21, 2013 11:21:42 AM

4. Good for Tebow.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 21, 2013 11:23:27 AM

5. Well, that's one less thing he'll have to answer for when he eventually comes out...

Posted by: Mark Alexander | Feb 21, 2013 11:23:30 AM

6. Well -- it looks like his PR person earned their salary for this one...

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Feb 21, 2013 11:25:32 AM

7. Good for him...

Posted by: Bill Michael | Feb 21, 2013 11:31:10 AM

8. Answer to who? You?

Good for Tim.

Posted by: Tom | Feb 21, 2013 11:51:39 AM

9. Wow. Good for him.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Feb 21, 2013 12:07:39 PM

10. Aren't his fifteen minutes over yet? Yes, I would kick him out of bed for eating crackers.

There are many cuter backup quarterbacks (e.g. Brady Quinn) who deserve a lot more of the public's attention than this knee dropper.

Posted by: Fahd | Feb 21, 2013 12:08:27 PM

11. If his attitude is genuine it's refreshing to see a Christian who actually realizes that Christ's message was about love and inclusiveness, not 101 ways to hate your neighbor.

Posted by: e.c. | Feb 21, 2013 12:24:53 PM

12. What a shock for him that First Baptist in TX was bigote. Sounds more like his publicist told him his fifteen minutes were running out and he needed to be smart and not associate with bigots openly.

Posted by: Cam | Feb 21, 2013 12:44:28 PM

13. the jets reminded him playing in new york you do not go to a church that is anti catholic anti gay and not get something at you on the field

Posted by: walter | Feb 21, 2013 1:44:32 PM

14. And yet Andy Towle constantly promotes Rihanna, a woman with a history of appearing on stage with anti-gay bigots. You're a hypocrite, Andy.

Posted by: rise | Feb 21, 2013 1:51:41 PM

15. Translation:- It's been pointed out to me that my playing days are ephemeral . If I continue to be associated with rabid f*ckwits like Robert Jeffress my future earning potential will be likewise

Posted by: Lock | Feb 21, 2013 1:59:25 PM

16. Good for him avoiding extremists.

Posted by: Tom in Long Beach | Feb 21, 2013 2:17:50 PM

17. They all need to shut up and throw things, like they're paid to do.

Posted by: DW | Feb 21, 2013 2:43:43 PM

18. He has reportedly said that he is cancelling the current planned engagement for 'personal and professional reasons' , but that he would like to appear at the church at a future date.

I'm going to pretend to be optimistic here: maybe this thick-skulled chunk of narrowly averted abortion-ugly will surprise everyone and speak to the bigots about the importance of loving one's neighbor, of tolerance and of inclusivity. I, for one, would pay to see the brick that Jefress would $hit if Tebow punked him and his so-called 'church' like that. Effin' priceless.

Posted by: Tom T-Bone | Feb 21, 2013 3:19:36 PM

19. Kudos for Tebow. It's never the wrong time to do the right thing. We should applaud his decision.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Feb 21, 2013 3:25:56 PM

20. Though I disagree with him, it's nice to see First Baptist smacked down by a noted Christian.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 21, 2013 3:48:16 PM

21. This "pastor" is typical North Texas bigotry which has existed for as long as I can remember. Just a huckster being paid handsomely to say just the things that his flock wants to hear.It is a disease. They all say the same things with the same obnoxious twang. They aren't Christians. Not in my book.If any of you attend this temple of hate Church, I pray for you. Seriously.

Posted by: thom | Feb 21, 2013 4:30:37 PM

22. I heard the "pastor" broadcasting today that with our without Tebow, they will continue their month-long celebration of their new $130 MILLION facility. WHO THE FRAK needs a $130 million church facility? Even in Dallas. Oh, the starving children they could feed.....

Posted by: BigBullRider | Feb 21, 2013 4:55:46 PM

23. sorry, "or"

Posted by: BigBullRider | Feb 21, 2013 4:56:37 PM

24. Saint Timmy isn't as dumb as he looks

Posted by: jaragon | Feb 21, 2013 5:37:03 PM

25. I still want Tebow to hook up with Manti Te'o. And I want it on video.

Posted by: bravo | Feb 21, 2013 7:57:50 PM