News

Debunking 50 Common Misconceptions: VIDEO

50misconceptions

John Green of Mental Floss lays out 50 common misconceptions, including, "Shaving does not cause hair to grow back thicker or coarser no matter what part of your body you're shaving."

Have some qualms with any of them? Let us know in the comments.

Go to it trivia buffs, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. That was good.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 16, 2013 12:19:20 PM

2. There are few things I despise more than shaving my neck area. Thank God for electric shavers. But I have only a little body hair and like my pubes.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 16, 2013 12:23:27 PM

3. Sarah Palin did say that line about seeing Russia from her house.

Posted by: S. | Mar 16, 2013 12:32:58 PM

4. Anne Boleyn did not have 11 fingers? Correct. ASnne Boleyn was French? Incorrect. She was born in England in an English aristrocratic family (father was Thomas Boleyn, mother was Elizabeth Howard), but she was raised in the Dutch and French courts before returning to England, where she caught the eye of Henry VIII, and the rest is history. Her daughter, Elizabath I (The Virgin Queen), was proud of stating that she was "mere English" because of both of her parents' English and Welsh heritage.

Posted by: graphicjack | Mar 16, 2013 12:41:01 PM

5. Anne Boleyn was English, not French.

Posted by: OddBet | Mar 16, 2013 12:57:06 PM

6. @ratbastard You sound hot. What do you look like in a little sailor outfit?

Posted by: Bollux | Mar 16, 2013 2:17:09 PM

7. this conflicts with the julie and julia movie where julia child's character proclaims she was only a file clerk :o

I'M CONFLICTED

Posted by: luke | Mar 16, 2013 2:25:30 PM

8. The Boleyn family originally came from Ireland.

Posted by: anon | Mar 16, 2013 2:37:53 PM

9. The biggest myth is still "AWARENESS LEADS TO ACTION"....think about that one..

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Mar 16, 2013 3:17:28 PM

10. There ARE only five physical senses. Time et alia are perceptions. You cannot taste, see, feel, hear or smell time.

Posted by: Palmer | Mar 16, 2013 3:32:35 PM

11. @Ratbastard: I concur with the neck-shaving dislike. That is one of the reasons I wear a full beard and only have to deal w/ the shaving thing infrequently!

Posted by: LOL | Mar 16, 2013 3:38:10 PM

12. @Palmer, you can sense hot and cold. Those are not touch.

Posted by: Craig in Portland | Mar 16, 2013 5:22:53 PM

13. @S, actually Palin said "...you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska." Tina Fey is the one who said I can see Russia from my house. The woman is just such a big idiot we can all imagine her actually saying it.

Posted by: boywonder3919 | Mar 16, 2013 5:57:07 PM

14. How many of us want our aunts, moms and grandmoms to realize that shaving off their mustaches won't cause them to grow back thicker?

Posted by: andrew | Mar 17, 2013 4:27:43 AM

15. Wait a sec, Dr. Ruth was a sniper? Did I hear that correctly?

Posted by: trg | Mar 17, 2013 8:51:31 PM

16. @ Palmer Have a bit of Q.I. to illustrate how there are more than five senses:

Posted by: Book | Mar 18, 2013 10:36:39 AM