Anderson Cooper | GLAAD | Madonna | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anderson Cooper Talks About GLAAD Award, Madonna: VIDEO

Glaad_anderson

As has been previously noted, Anderson Cooper will be receiving GLAAD's Vito Russo Award this year and Madonna is presenting it to him. Lisa Rinna made note of it on his daytime show today.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, a group of rabid Little Monsters is reportedly threatening GLAAD over its choice of presenter, making false claims about Madonna, who was a fierce campaigner for safe sex during the AIDS crisis:

Madonna is one of the major reasons for AIDS. Back in the 1980’s, she encouraged gay men to have unprotected sex. While she certainly didn’t start the disease, she and her lack of morals helped it spread.

Please rethink your choice of having Madonna as a presenter. If you don’t, we Little Monsters will strike back in a way you won’t like.

Sincerely,
Lady Gaga’s Little Monsters

Comments

1. dear monstertwinks, invest in a clue.

madonna, thanks for ray of light. it helped me come out when i was 16.

cooper, i'll throuple you so good.

rock on, all.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 5, 2013 1:01:48 PM

2. Oh good. More non news about Anderson Cooper. It's been at least ten minutes since the last Towleroad update about Anderson and I was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms.

I will check back again in 5 minutes. I'm sure we will have at least 3 more non stories about Anderson by then.

Posted by: Icebloo | Mar 5, 2013 1:04:12 PM

3. Expect an enslaught of Anderson bashing on the comments to follow. He's, for whatever reason, considered the Hitler of the gay community. But machismo gays who do jack SH-T for the community sure are opinionated about everyoen else.

Posted by: CommonC | Mar 5, 2013 1:06:38 PM

4. Who knew JasonRick spoke for the Little Monsters?

Posted by: ripper | Mar 5, 2013 1:06:49 PM

5. @ CommonC
    I don't think the people who bash Anderson are well adjusted gays. They are usually the same bitter -Jason- types who bash anything that is identifiably gay or part of the fabric of gay pop culture. They truly resent anything like that. Be it Madonna, Lady Gaga, Pride events, and now Anderson Cooper. They are so shamed and insecure in their own sexuality, they hate anyone who isn't. And is perfectly happy to be part of the gay subculture and community.
    That's your truth syrup.

Posted by: DaLurker | Mar 5, 2013 1:08:53 PM

6. I find it interesting that this is really the only gay site you observe intense anti anderson cooper posts. And not a few, but like a plethora of anti Anderson cooper posts. It makes it pretty clear to me that it's coming from the same looney tune poster. That I don't observe anti anderson cooper sentiments on any other blog, and people are perfectly happy to have him part of our community and celebrate his success tells me there's one or two (at most) posters here with multiple handles who have an axe to grind with him. I agree with the poster above that they are probably not yet comfortable within their own sexuality.

Posted by: Jordan | Mar 5, 2013 1:11:17 PM

7. The blind vs. the blind. Why give out awards? Send the "Monsters" out door to door in Texas to drum up support for gay marriage. That Gaga woman left a long trail of sewage.

Posted by: Jake | Mar 5, 2013 1:12:37 PM

8. Jake is now Rise who was formerly Jason. Pass it on. It's fun spotting the troll on here

Posted by: Marcus | Mar 5, 2013 1:16:29 PM

9. I'm afraid until Andy forces posters to login in order to post, the crazy @$$ troll (ratbatard, jason, rick, uffda, andrew) will keep posting their drivel. We need to look at it and remind ourselves how much better we are as a human because of it.

Posted by: J.T | Mar 5, 2013 1:17:28 PM

10. Let's get something clear, the only people bashing Anderson on here are the types who bash EVERY gay person on here. They are the ones who bash adam lambert, and niel patrick harris, and shows like modern family, and forget poor chris colfer, they'll stone him. They don't like gay people, gay things, just gayness makes them have to confront the fact that they are still hiding in a closet. The whole meme about anderson not being out fast enough? child please. these are the same b-tches who can't ever be seen at a gay club and hate Logo because it has drag queens on it.
    The self hating crowd talks a big game, but in public? they are the oens who describe themselves as straight ACTING and introduce their boyfriends as a roomate.

Posted by: Leo | Mar 5, 2013 1:19:51 PM

11. God I love ANDERSON COOPER! Love him and his fantastic shows and his phenomenal success!
    What an amazing role model he is.
    Congrats on all the fame and MONEY and success Mr. Cooper!

Posted by: Junior theo | Mar 5, 2013 1:20:56 PM

12. Well deserved Anderson. Such an inspirational and charming guy.

Posted by: Morton | Mar 5, 2013 1:21:21 PM

13. @ Dalurker

I think people tend to bash what you call "identifiably gay" as a reaction to being pigeon held. To start, I am fine with Cooper. Seems like a smart, affable fella. To your point, I am quite secure and content in my sexuality. What is defined as gay subculture has nothing to do with my life and I do dislike that all gay people are assigned to this one tag. Being gay is more complex and multidimensional than that. What you are taking as resentment might be someone reacting to being put into a very limiting box that has no defining qualities of that person.

For me, I am tired of people assuming the usuals.

Posted by: Joe | Mar 5, 2013 1:21:46 PM

14. I have no problem with Anderson Cooper. In fact, I would be happy to join Ben and AC for some recreation anytime. And I often watch his show - all good. But I don't think he deserves an award from GLAAD for being an out media personality. He has been out for about 5 minutes after spending the first 2 decades of his career either denying his sexuality or being extremely evasive. Surely they could find someone more deserving as being identified as a role model.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Mar 5, 2013 1:26:14 PM

15. @ Joe
    In your quest to be edgy and not like every other gay person, you're in fact predictable, very concious of it, very aware, and predictable- as I said earlier. And that's your right...but where your "I'm passsable hetero" crowd gets into trouble is when you pass judgment on gay subcultures you don't get or want to be part of, that's when you lose the validity behind any of your argument.

Posted by: Amir | Mar 5, 2013 1:29:07 PM

16. Joe (although you sound like a more toned down Rick)
    no one is trying to box you, it's just, when you see lements of gay/queer culture like some pop music, or a pride event, or the rainbow flag....because YOU resent your sexuality being part of you, you demand others do as well. When they don't, and when they freely and openly wave a rainbow flag, and happily go to Pride events, or celebrate Lady Gaga, you being insecure in your own skin, automatically assume everyone is enforcing you to do the same. They're not. You're projecting. And you want all gays to blend in with society and be hetero-approved like yourself. Not all of us want to, nor need to be lectured by your kind.

Posted by: Justin T. | Mar 5, 2013 1:31:41 PM

17. Joe,
    If you bash identifiable gay traits, hobbies, interests in others because you feel it pigeon holds you, then not only are you absolutely insecure in your identity but you're attempting to judge others for manifesting their life as they see fit. You are not qualified to do that.

Much like a closeted man who feels threatened by male on male displays of affection, I notice guys like yourself feel threatened by that gay subculture mentioned above. Why is that? Why is it you need people to opress their likes, interests, hobbies all so you can feel validated as a gender conformative man? Great. You're seemingly masculine, and not part of mainstream 'gay', yet others are. Until you learn to accept that, you'll never ever be content in your skin. I assure you that.

As Pride events will continue on for hundreds of years to come. As will gay clubs. As will the waving of the next gay iconic pop star, and rainbow flag. You'll never have control over those things. Ever.

Once you realize that, accept they may not be for you, and respect they are elements for others, you'll be in a more enjoyable space in your life.

Posted by: Scott Johansen | Mar 5, 2013 1:36:46 PM

18. Scott Johansen,
    I have to say...I've really been loving all your posts. I don't post here much, but I read and love your contributions. They are raw, candid and speak the truth in a very organic and real way.

Posted by: 2 Dads | Mar 5, 2013 1:38:44 PM

19. Oh,those mean girls!

Posted by: greenfuzz | Mar 5, 2013 1:39:09 PM

20. Anderson is a personal hero of mine. I love how outspoken and very transparent he is about being gay on his show. He's not shy of mentioning attractive men, or gay rights, or his coming out at all.

@ Scott Johansen
    Preach it!

Posted by: LazerLight | Mar 5, 2013 1:39:59 PM

21. Jennifer Aniston got a GLAAD award like this years ago.

Anderson Cooper is more than qualified.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 5, 2013 1:40:55 PM

22. What I find interesting is there has NEVER been outrage over all the undeserving hetero celeberities who have gotten GLAAD awards in the past and have done absolute ZERO and I mean ZEROOOOO for our community.

Anderson Cooper has shed light on gay rights and gay bashings and gay concerns for YEARS on his show and him getting recognized by gay media is making people angry?

Shame on some of you. Truly. Shame on you.

Posted by: Tundra-Speaker | Mar 5, 2013 1:42:47 PM

23. Oh, come on! Don't let whoever wrote that letter speak for all Little Monsters! You know that person is wrooooooong.

Posted by: Tom S. | Mar 5, 2013 1:44:52 PM

24. The reason some gays here passionately hate on Anderson and make snarky rmarks about him is because he's gay. They won't tell you that. They won't admit that fact to themselves. But there's an innate trait in many gay people that hates, yes *hates* seeing other gay males succeed. It infuriates them. They love nothing more than to see the failure of fellow gays. It's partially their own internalized homphobia, and partially because misery loves company. But follow the trail. And examine any post on this site about any gay public figure.....it's nothing but horrible, witchy, rude, nasty, catty remarks.

Now post a picture of an athletic straight man and see those same people fawn over them.

Anti gay isn't just a disease that travels through heterosexual minds. Some gays are guilty of it without even realizing.

Posted by: Jose | Mar 5, 2013 1:45:43 PM

25. I agree with Jose. It's very telling to me that a post regarding any anti gay politician, or entertainer gets about a fraction of the negativity a post about Anderson Cooper generates. That tells me our own community has to address it's own self hate before we request others to.

Posted by: Okie LAX | Mar 5, 2013 1:46:53 PM