ACT-UP | Gay Marriage | New York | News

Flashback 1989: Gays Demand Marriage Licenses in Manhattan - VIDEO

Actup2

in 1989, 20 gay couples backed by ACT UP marched into the marriage bureau in Manhattan demanding marriage licenses in what WCBS-TV New York called a "violent protest".

Says Thomas Stoddard of Lambda Legal Defense in the report: "Within 20 years at least half the states will permit two men or two women to get married."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Actup

Comments

1. To think that in 1989, I didn't think I deserved equality - never occurred to me that I had a right to ask. These people are heroes.

Posted by: dattexas | Mar 27, 2013 7:37:00 PM

2. "Within 20 years at least half the states will permit two men or two women to get married."

Posted by: Sad | Mar 27, 2013 8:08:36 PM

3. Brave, brave, brave. Stuff like this makes me sad at how often our community is reduced to nasty in-fighting when we're still fighting the same fight these guys started.

Posted by: Robert | Mar 27, 2013 8:11:08 PM

4. WOW WOW WOW...the story is spectacular, even if unfinished. This world is not in vain, nor are our efforts. "The way is long and monstrous with martyrdoms" said Oscar Wilde more than a century ago. But the distance IS being crossed.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 27, 2013 8:22:35 PM

5. I see a pink triangle...

Posted by: Tom | Mar 27, 2013 9:18:31 PM

6. "It's sad that in 1989, they thought that at least half the states would have gay marriage, and here we are 24 years later and only 1/5 of the country has gay marriage." Very true. However, I must say that these guys are brave. I can't imagine what it must have been like for them back in 1989...people were definitely not as open-minded back then.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Mar 27, 2013 10:13:16 PM

7. "I must say that these guys are brave. I can't imagine what it must have been like for them back in 1989...people were definitely not as open-minded back then."

Which is probably exactly what they were saying about the rioters of 1969.

Posted by: jleo71 | Mar 27, 2013 11:00:04 PM

8. Thank god they weren't successful. We weren't as needy in the 20th Century. Relationships were based on love and trust -- not paper.

Posted by: GB | Mar 28, 2013 1:25:12 AM

9. Where is Towle?? Gay Celebration and Agoraphobia is not a winning combo. The Russians are not going to attack. Come out from under your desk.

Posted by: Andy | Mar 28, 2013 1:31:49 AM

10. GB, they were marching for equality, not paper.

Posted by: dattexas | Mar 28, 2013 9:38:18 AM