Catholic Church | Keith O'Brien | News | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Keith O'Brien, Cardinal Implicated In Gay Scandal, Admits Sex With Priests

6a00d8341c730253ef017c3715cb47970b-800wiFormer Scottish Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the outrageously anti-gay crusader who stepped down after being accused of "inappropriate acts" with other priests, admitted today that, yes, he did all of the things he denied only a week ago, including coercing subordinates into sexual situations.

His statement:

In recent days certain allegations which have been made against me have become public. Initially, their anonymous and non-specific nature led me to contest them.

However, I wish to take this opportunity to admit that there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal.

To those I have offended, I apologise and ask forgiveness.

To the Catholic Church and people of Scotland, I also apologise.

I will now spend the rest of my life in retirement. I will play no further part in the public life of the Catholic Church in Scotland.

Considering the amount of time O'Brien spent spreading lies about gay people and fighting LGBT rights, is an apology enough?

Comments

1. There is no contrition visible here by Bigot O'Brian - he tried to subvert Scottish democracy, by threatning Scottish Ministers with electoral defeat by mustering Catholics to vote against the ruling SNP, and any other partys members who voted to support Equal marriage - a campaign from involving school children to funding a widespread effort in churches and the media, through lies and missinformation and junk "research" from the far right. The fact that Scots Catholics are "canny scots" like the rest of us it was not likely to succeed is beside the point he tried to do it.
    He has now been exposed as a hypocrite as well as a homophobic bigot (an award he was given by Stonewall last year, well done)and an abuser of power for sexual entanglement with those under his charge, hes just admitted as much.
    No apology could meet this abuse and besides he has not retracted one bit of his denigration and vilification of gay people he targeted and his vile remarks about their (our) caring and loving relationships including marriage.
    "for those I have offended" - not even close cardinal - offended does not cut it for me - villified, denigrated, verbally abused, threatned, attempted to shame,lied about,slandered - apology not accepted and not forgiven.
    If your god exists in your head Cardinal O'Brian, I hope he is wreaking vengence.

Posted by: renovato | Mar 3, 2013 9:48:57 PM

2. http://fablog.ehrensteinland.com/2013/03/03/fait-diver-a-public-relations-disaster-hubba-hubba/

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 3, 2013 9:51:29 PM

3. He now needs to go out and actively campaign for same sex marriage. Not enough, but it would be a start.

Posted by: cjr | Mar 3, 2013 9:56:09 PM

4. The anti-gay Christians are trying to stop LGBT people from having sex, it is a crime they can not stop their own priest from having sex with or raping children.

Posted by: Jesus | Mar 3, 2013 10:28:43 PM

5. Now completely repentant, the runway is cleared for takeoff to heaven. But first, this Cardinal will take time, on his knees of course, in giving lingual ablution to his succoring Priests

Posted by: StevyD | Mar 3, 2013 10:37:30 PM

6. You can be sure that Keith O'Brien is not the only closeted homosexual Cardinal who has railed against homosexuality while secretly engaging in "inappropriate" behavior. And many of the others who may not have engaged in secret sexual acts themselves have covered up the criminal actions of priests who have preyed on the young. This kind of stuff permeates the entire clerical culture.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 3, 2013 10:46:13 PM

7. Typical. Oi vey, why are people acting surprised?

Posted by: Andy | Mar 4, 2013 12:32:53 AM

8. I read this same story last year about Bishop Eddie Long in Atlanta. Same old story. The moral never hits home with the church.

Posted by: John | Mar 4, 2013 1:20:46 AM

9. I don't recognize this as an apology, and wouldn't accept it anyway. He is a liar, plain and simple. Not just once, but for years, nothing he ever says should have any credibility again. Slimy bastard!

Posted by: Bob | Mar 4, 2013 2:00:56 AM

10. Considering the virulent anti-gay nature of the catholic church, I have deep sympathy for this man. Who knows the depths of self loathing he must have gone through. This is one anti-gay bigot I'm willing to forgive, slightly.

Posted by: Ryon | Mar 4, 2013 2:46:02 AM

11. Another closet case, after doing all he can to hurt his fellows, admits to being in the closet and believes his responsibility ends there? Hell no.

Posted by: Liam SW | Mar 4, 2013 3:04:54 AM

12. This is a despicable man who spent his life destroying the lives of many young gay men who sought refuge in their spirituality, and spiritual direction from the Catholic Church. While fervently speaking out and campaigning against gay people, he was molesting his fellow trainee priests. As a Cardinal, he doesn't get more senior in an organisation hell bent on dictating how others should live their lives. Somehow, to admit he "fell short of the standards expected" of him does not slice it. That is no apology and he should just go to hell.

Posted by: DMiner | Mar 4, 2013 3:07:41 AM

13. Now we all know what is "intrinsically disordered"?
    The priesthood.

Posted by: simon | Mar 4, 2013 3:08:06 AM

14. 1. It's now time for all you young priests ( and anyone else) to come out of the closet and give the history of this hypocrite's sexual saga. It's time for those priests, and all priests, to have some courage.

2. If there is a heaven and a hell this Cardinal and I are not going to the same place.

3. We will force them all to eat their words, "intrinsically disordered". Look at those gay Dads with their kids, with their love and protection of those kids and then let's reach an objective consensus on who is "disordered" - that loving family or this lying manipulating closet case.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 4, 2013 3:37:21 AM

15. Pathetic. Tax the churches!

Posted by: SoLeftImRight | Mar 4, 2013 4:00:12 AM

16. I have a well-prepared message for the Church when they come calling for CSA $$$ (Catholic Services Appeal) NOTHING for the next four years. I will not give to the national fund until I see 1. A marked improvement in the behavior of the Church in regards to the 2016 United States Presidential Election...telling me to vote for a heretic? Really? A heretic? 2. Come clean, once and for all, with the pedophile priests...no more hiding, the jig is up, no pun intended. A LOT of house-cleaning will have to take place before you see another dime of mine. Bill Douehue, as leader of the American Catholic League, you should be doing more important things than going on You Tube with a bobble-head doll of President Obama and doing unspeakably vile things with said doll. For heaven's sake, are you a nine year old boy? You act as such, and obviously do not need any of my money with such a lush office. Maybe if you weren't such an ass I would have never known the luxury in which you surround yourself...would Jesus approve? 3. Quit turning people off with rabid rants on You Tube or any other public forum. I still am shocked that you wanted me to vote for a heretic! Good luck, as it will be much more difficult to secure funding since blundering about in the last presidential election.

Posted by: millerbeach | Mar 4, 2013 4:40:31 AM

17. When an organization is as loathsome as the Catholic Church- institutionalized child rape, misogyny, homophobia, corruption- then we're just splitting hairs on the ethical lapses of one compared to another. It's like quibbling over deck chairs on the Titanic.

That said, am I the only one who thinks this guy is kind of hot?

Posted by: Rob | Mar 4, 2013 6:58:28 AM

18. a pity , he is darn handsome though i am sure he will retire to a place that will help him i doubt this hes off now to explore his gay side in a very dramatic way lets look out for him on a gay cruise years ago meet him hm in London and we had a great night together

Posted by: clay | Mar 4, 2013 7:16:15 AM

19. I knew a priest growing up who eloped with a nun, they married and had at least 4 kids and lived happily ever after, so I know at least one priest was/is 'straight', but I think he was few and far between.

I'll be impressed when a European or American government [maybe Mexico or Brazil should step up to the plate] presses criminal charges against high ranking Vatican officials and demands their extradition. Former cardinals from L.A., Boston and elsewhere should be sitting in prison cells.

Why otherwise rational people believe in the fantasies of religious dogmas. I guess because it fills a void and tells them things they want to hear.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 4, 2013 7:43:45 AM

20. I agree with Vint,Jackfknfrost,Jerry6, and for Niles-I would not doubt that those priests that he sex with were molested prior to his encounter with them.(If not by him as children.)Has anyone seen Mea Maxima Culpa? HBO's devestating expose on the Catholic cover-up? I wonder if Ratzi's sudden announcement to "retire" just days after that aired was influenced by it. I have a hunch that there is a 'time bomb' of more evidence about to surface, and he is getting out of the fire-evil man-and a coward.

Posted by: GEOFFREY MARTIN | Mar 4, 2013 10:33:23 AM

21. @JACKFKNTWIST: Preach it, brother!

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 4, 2013 11:35:44 AM

22. i think the most telling thing of all is that with every new day there seems to be another story exact like this.

"did you hear about the sex scandal rocking the catholic church?"

-which one(s)???

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 4, 2013 11:43:27 AM

23. I really don't have much sympathy for this man- he's just another gay man twisted by his religious upbringing into promoting homophobia. It might be understandable in the very young, but inexcusable after a certain point. And if was coercing seminarians into sex he's a sexual predator and that was the lamest possible "apology" for it.

What's really twisted about the whole thing is that for decades, perhaps centuries, the Priesthood was a repository for gay Catholic boys. "You don't want to f*ck women? Congratulations! You have 'a calling' to the Priesthood!" Yeah, right.

Once there, they are warped by religious dogma into hating themselves and condemning other gays, yet also trained to expect a certain entitlement to get away with their crimes of 'weakness' and hypocrisy, all protected by the church. The entire thing, from its ideological basis to its practice, is rotten to the core.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 4, 2013 11:51:42 AM

24. I think this so called “ Good Man “ is a two faced user who due to the life he chose cant or wont face up to who and what he is...It seems he gets his “ Jollies “ coming onto those that are under him or those he trains i.e People unable to say no or were to frightened to say anything about what this man did to them when they were in there late teens early twenties' for fear of what he may do to their careers.Remember we I'm sure have heard from but a few of the men this dreadful person abused.
    As if this were not enough this two faced “ Man of God “ has the audacity to stand up and rail against gay marriage and gay men ...all this despite interfering with young men ...this man should be brought to book..he wont be as he's a “ man of god “. I firmly believe this man should be investigated not by the Catholic church that does such a stunning job in cover ups but by the police for misuse of power and interfering with minors.
    Yet again the Catholic Church who would have us believe all gays should be hung drawn and quartered despite their appalling record of Priests abusing children and sitting on huge amount's of money while pleading poverty as the Vatican vaults are filled with un seen treasures worth untold amounts yet they will let this two faced abuser walk away free.
    I say well done to those men who had the guts to stand up and tell the truth.
    To there abuser I say “ Shame on you “ and in your own faiths words “ May you rot in the fires of Hell “

Posted by: Mike | Mar 4, 2013 2:43:15 PM

25. Aside from the alleged sexual harassment, O'Brien was not all that bad relative to his peers in his church: according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_O%27Brien#Homosexuality 'Before elevation to cardinal, O'Brien had been regarded as "liberal" on the issue of homosexuality, noting the number of homosexual priests in the Church. In 2005, O'Brien rebuked Bishop Joseph Devine who had suggested that homosexuals should not be allowed to teach in Catholic schools commenting, "I don't have a problem with the personal life of a person as long as they are not flaunting their sexuality".'

Also, 'In May 2005 he told members of the Scottish Parliament that homosexuals were "captives of sexual aberrations", comparing homosexuals to prisoners in Saughton jail.'

So, at least he didn't claim that one's sexual orientation is a choice and didn't want to have people fired for being gay. He did criticize same-sex marriage, but as a cardinal, he's supposed to speak for his organization, mostly spouting whatever the pope wants him to spout.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 4, 2013 5:49:36 PM