Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | George Stephanopoulos | Timothy Dolan

BigGayDeal.com

NYC Cardinal Timothy Dolan On Marriage In Catholic Church: Gays And Lesbians Are 'Entitled To Friendship': Video

CardinalABC’s This Week host George Stephanopoulos asked guest Cardinal Timothy Dolan how he would respond to Catholic gays and lesbians who want to get married in the Catholic Church.

Dolan, who claims the church "is not an anti-anybody," replied:

"Well, the first thing I’d say to them is, 'I love you, too. And God loves you. And you are made in God’s image and likeness. And – and we – we want your happiness. But – and you’re entitled to friendship.' But we also know that God has told us that the way to happiness, that – especially when it comes to sexual love – that is intended only for a man and woman in marriage, where children can come about naturally. We gotta be – we gotta do better to see that our defense of marriage is not reduced to an attack on gay people. And I admit, we haven’t been too good at that."

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. I don't want his friendship. He's evil.

Posted by: homer | Mar 31, 2013 2:29:36 PM

2. He was very politician-sounding. When asked a question, he just talked a lot and didn't give a real answer. Also, I don't understand why the Church is so opposed to non-Catholics getting married, as another poster pointed out. Ridiculous.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Mar 31, 2013 2:30:48 PM

3. If anyone is interested, Jesus mentions homosexuality at least twice in the Gospels:

1) Jesus met a gay man, via the Roman Centurion trying to heal his slave/pais (a Greek term used to convey the younger male lover in a gay relationship) and Jesus says of him, "Never have I seen faith greater than this" after asking the Centurion if He could come have dinner at his house (to which the Centurion replied "I am not worthy" (IMHO, because gay relationships were probably frowned upon by the religious reich back then too)).

2) Jesus mentions gay men as "born eunuchs" in Matthew as a type of man who was not meant to marry women (this comes from the passage beloved by homophobes who always quote this chapter when trying to prove a marriage is between one man, one women yet this chapter deals with when a man is allowed to divorce a woman, nothing else).

3) Matthew 5:22 - the term Jesus used, 'raca', when saying "whoever calls his brother..." is believed to be, when best translated to today, mean 'fag'.

There's also the Secret Gospel of Mark, also the relationship which is evidently romantic between Jesus and John in the Gospel of John.

Not to mention, besides the Gospels, the most passionate relationship between two people in the Bible happens to be between two men.

Sorry, I just find it obnoxious the Church, a group of cowardly closet cases, wants everyone else to believe the world should be as ashamed with homosexuality as they are with their own.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 31, 2013 2:36:26 PM

4. Hmm, "friendship", eh. Let's see what that means, exactly. Until recently, when modern secular governments put an end to it, that meant persecution, torture, murder. Now that the Roman church considers us only "objectively disordered", and our desire for equality to be the "product of satan", it means that the Roman church has never, ever, not anywhere, done or supported anyone else doing anything like decriminalization, protection from being fired or evicted (having done some of that themselves), or from violence or bullying, let alone allowing all of the hundreds of legal implications for a relationship that depend on being married. Oh wait, of course, the Roman church has heatedly opposed, always, everywhere, every step towards fair treatment of homosexuals. Looks like the Roman church's idea of "friendship" is the same ridiculous fabrication as are all of their other beliefs.

Posted by: chris vogel | Mar 31, 2013 2:40:04 PM

5. "Little Johnny, do you want to learn about friendship? Because I would be glad to teach you."

Posted by: Chal | Mar 31, 2013 3:04:51 PM

6. wow! he "blesses" the fact that we are entitled to friendships......what a stupid cop-out of an answer! and again, love the sinner, hate the sin bull....

Posted by: Bernie | Mar 31, 2013 3:08:13 PM

7. Friendship requires responsibility. It's not enough to say "let's be friends". You have to demonstrate you're worthy of friendship. Catholicism, based on its disgraceful history, is completely unworthy. I'm not surprised that Stephanopoulos didn't pursue any follow-up questions; it's Easter, and his father is a Greek Orthodox priest (& Adjunct Professor of Eastern Christian Thought Saint John's University, Queens, NY).

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 31, 2013 3:10:52 PM

8. this from the man who was deposed as what he knew about pedophile priest and what he did to cover up for them. there aren't enough hail Mary's to confess the lies told during that deposition. and to top it off he is the biggest closet case since cardinal spell man

Posted by: walter | Mar 31, 2013 3:17:52 PM

9. It was the same thing on Meet The Press when Brian windbag from NOM was on.
    They are still be treated with kid gloves by the interviewers.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 31, 2013 3:33:53 PM

10. Just show me where it says "and so the clergy can molest and rape the choir boys at will" in the Bible and I'll start showing interest in anything these hypocrites have to say.

Posted by: Craig | Mar 31, 2013 3:47:38 PM

11. I understand that your organization suggests that life begins at conception. I hope you’ll also weigh in on when relationships goes from friendship to sexual. Holding hands? Kissing? OMG, if it’s kissing, does this mean I’ve had sex with both my parents and, for that matter, two sets of grandparents? Does sex start when I see his penis? Does this mean I had sex with the entire football team? (I saw their penises in showers after games.) Is it possible to have sex if we remain entirely clothed or do we remain friends after extensive touching as long as that touching is only through clothing?

Oh, one final question: Do your rules apply to me? I’m not Catholic.

Posted by: Mitch | Mar 31, 2013 3:56:55 PM

12. Blah blah frickety blah. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

Posted by: Jesus Christ | Mar 31, 2013 4:17:35 PM

13. "We gotta be – we gotta do better to see that our defense of marriage is not reduced to an attack on gay people. And I admit, we haven’t been too good at that."

Here is the crack in the Easter egg.

Assuming that clergy have the right to officiate at marriages in New York as they do in California. If Cardinal Dolan wants to do that as an act of repentance, even outside of St. Patricks, I'd welcome it.

Posted by: Rich | Mar 31, 2013 4:48:56 PM

14. The man needs to simply shut up.... he's only digging himself and by reflection the church in deeper and deeper .... sheesh!!!

Posted by: wds | Mar 31, 2013 5:26:54 PM

15. My loathing for this morbidly obese buffoon knows no bounds. he is a prince of one of the largest hate groups in the world. and we allow it!

Posted by: Kevin thor | Mar 31, 2013 5:39:24 PM

16. Intentions are meaningless when the results are the same! You DO NOT GET TO CHOOSE MY FAMILY FOR ME! Let me make that perfectly clear! You have no say with whom I may build my family nor create any doom over my destiny! My future is NOT under your control! So, please F.OFF you Catholic Thugs!

Posted by: Scooter | Mar 31, 2013 6:13:11 PM

17. Didn't Dolan secretely transfer sexually abusive priests from one parish to another when he was the Bishop of another Diocese prior to his NY assignment?

Posted by: andrew | Mar 31, 2013 7:32:54 PM

18. So I'm allowed to be "friends" with my lover and partner/spouse and that it? Is that what you mean to say you morally corrupt s.o.b.? Dolan, you must be very unhappy living in New York- I don't think "the gays" are paying you any attention.

Posted by: Joe | Mar 31, 2013 9:03:30 PM

19. I refuse to befriend or be in a relationship with a gay catholic. Done it in the past and it always ended with them almost shaming me for being unwavering in my support for gay rights. Every gay person has a right to be Mormon or Catholic, but not all of us have to join you in that ride as an observer.

Posted by: Lynel | Mar 31, 2013 9:49:13 PM

20. Dolan said that "I admit, we haven't been too good at" reaching out to gay people.

DUH!

He and his church teaches that gay people whom they want to greet with a "warm embrace" have a "strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil." His now-retired boss, Pope Liberace, described gay people as "eschewing their God-given gender identities to suit their sexual choices – and destroying the very 'essence of the human creature' in the process." (Whatever that means....)

If they are trying their "darndest" to reach out to gays, it must be like when the good Cardinal told his doctor he is trying his "darndest" to lose weight!!

Posted by: Hal | Mar 31, 2013 10:01:07 PM

21. Dolan said that "I admit, we haven't been too good at" reaching out to gay people.

DUH!

Posted by: Hal | Mar 31, 2013 10:01:35 PM

22. @woodroad34d: Whether it is his "subconscious" or something else, research using MRI has shown that the same parts of the brain light up when you ask someone about their beliefs or what God believes, but not when you ask them what others believe.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2009/11/30/creating-god-in-ones-own-image/ describes the research.

In the case of a cardinal, it is a bit more complicated - like any upper manager, he is expected to tout the official opinion of his organization in public, so it isn't that easy to determine what he really believes.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 31, 2013 10:19:35 PM

23. Papist Swine.

Posted by: dearcomrade | Mar 31, 2013 10:46:29 PM

24. He showed up in basic black with a simple silver necklace and his red beany hat slightly askew. I remember when Cardinals were arrogant pompous creatures giving out their benedictions with a solemn waving of their ring-bedecked hands in a sign of the cross.

This guy signed off with a salute! How cute! How media savvy, the new friendly church. They must have had some PR advisors at that convocation.

Posted by: someone has to say it | Mar 31, 2013 11:23:08 PM