Here’s Audio of Michelle Shocked’s Anti-Gay Rant: LISTEN

It starts at 4:37.

2_shockedSays Shocked:

"So it’s not too late. You can jump into this Jesus gang anytime you want. But, um, I was in a prayer meeting yesterday, and you’ve gotta appreciate how scared, how scared folks on that side of the equation are. I mean, from their vantage point — and I really shouldn’t say ‘their,’ because it’s mine, too — we are nearly at the end of time. And from our vantage point, we’re gonna be, uhhh, I think maybe Chinese water torture is gonna be the means, the method — once Prop 8 gets, uh, instated, and once, um, preachers are held at gunpoint and forced to marry the homosexuals, I’m pretty sure that that will be the signal for Jesus to come on back…You said you wanted reality….If someone would be so gracious as to please tweet out, ‘Michelle Shocked just said from stage, God hates faggots.’ Would you do it now?"

Shocked says she was misinterpreted. What do you think?

(via john becker)

Comments

1. Hdtex says

Translation: My bank account and threadbare career would like to apologize for my bigoted, homophobic world view. Though I now state it was “ironic” there was no irony inferred at the time I spoke these words……

2. Terry says

I don’t know how the hell you can “misintrepret” that hate speech. Also…if she hasn’t gotten therapy yet, perhaps she should consider doing so. Just a suggestion.

3. John Freeman says

I don’t care how messed up she is. That kind of aggressive homophobia is completely unacceptable. Don’t ask me for sympathy. She doesn’t deserve any.

4. Opinionated says

First of all, who the heck is Michelle Shocked??? Am I only the one that has never heard of this lady? Second, HOLY CRAP! What a nutjob! And to say she was “misinterpreted” is almost as appalling as the words themselves. Umm you ASKED to be off the mic and then went on a rant lady. Come on!

Everyone you can contact her here at contact@michelleshocked.com

5. stranded says

She asked for people to please tweet her remarks. She’s been explicit about being a proud homophobe in the past so if she was just being ironic I would say that woulda been a good chance to state her non-ironic remarks.

This is a very screwed up person, and it’s so sad to read her idiotic statements apart from these, about being “annointed and appointed” and that kind of drivel. Her reasoning about everything, not just these statements, is idiotic.

I don’t know why I feel so sad for her, except that she’s apparently very ill. Churchifying can’t help clear her brain.

6. scottc says

The irrational, delusional behavior of Michelle Shocked is an excellent example of what happens when folks approach life and faith from a place of uncontainable and unregulated fear, as in her fundamentalist belief system – it absolutely leads to psychopathology and maladaptation. I grew up Southern Baptist in Mississippi so this evangelical lifestyle is not foreign… I know these folks because the faith of my childhood creates them – it sets up judgment, arrogance, superiority, anxiety, guilt, paranoia, rule keeping, intolerance, and mind-numbing irrational thought processes as a way of life.

7. chris says

Her relationship with this audience is odd but speaking of the beliefs she describes: “I really shouldn’t say ‘their’ because it’s mine, too.” Nothing ironic there. (Can anyone translate the Spanish part?)

8. stephen says

She is a nut case. She has taken too much acid or has a serious mental illness. She will be institutionalized when she becomes a danger to herself and others….which I do not believe is far from today.

9. blank says

Oh wow. Listen to the end. I don’t know what’s more astonishing, that she passes a hat and asks the audience for money or that there are still a few people left at that show that give her some applause.

It was kind of scary to hear the monster underneath all the playful stage banter when she says “Can I respond off microphone…”

10. Craig S says

Seeing how rambling and disjointed the whole speech is, I can certainly see how it’s *plausible* that she expressed herself poorly and really meant to say something closer to what she now claims she intended. But admittedly as actually spoken it lands a *lot* closer to the way it was initially reported than it does to her clarification.

Her brain was clearly not firing on all cylinders that night, there’s no question about that.

So yeah, I probably won’t actually delete the two albums of hers I have on my hard drive, like I was initially thinking of doing (as if that would make much of a difference, she’s already been paid for them anyway). But my respect for her has certainly been diminished regardless.

11. stranded says

Yikes. I just read through the transcript. When pressed to clarify at the time she really worked the smug superiority thing that fundies and politicians do so well. Can’t be bothered to clarify, just dance around the obvious. Ugh.

When I was 13 I was a part of the Christianista cult, and I know how this mindset works. There’s this feeling that you have to stir things up because everyone else is confused but you know the truth because Jesus has chosen you to save people from themselves. But I grew up and learned something about that sense of superiority. It’s the same smug self-satisfaction that cames from the Bachmanns and Victoria Jacksons of this world. Truth is so simple to them because they have a book to explain it all away.

This was a deliberate stunt brought about by someone trying to “save” her audience from their “confusion.” It wasn’t a misunderstanding. She was given ample chance to clarify her odious statement.

Oh look, I’m sad no more. I legitimately hate her! Good job, ambassador of truth and love!

12. says

My marriage is part of the End Times, according to Ms Shocked.

“God Bless us, everyone!” she says at the end of the audio clip.

I’ll be praying for you, Michelle. We’re all going to meet our own personal End Times. I can’t see that after 2000 years suddenly it’s going to be Jesus conducting, but whatever.

13. Dastius Krazitauc says

That was FASCINATING! It was like a scene from a Robert Altman movie, a singer going mad onstage while accompanying herself on guitar.

She sounds about as crazy for Jesus as anyone else I’ve heard. The evangelizing itself would have put me off, much less the homophobia. Bravo to the audience members who took her on.

That said, I had never heard her before and she is indeed talented.

14. Dan says

“it’s my view too”

“I couldn’t come here [to SF] and not be part of the conversation”

“truth is painful, isn’t it?”

This isn’t irony.

15. Steven B says

What I’m hearing is a true believer who wants to be authentic. Not so much a homophobe, as someone who has been stirred up to fear by a preacher in a prayer meeting spouting hateful, fearful rhetoric from the pulpit. I think she is being honest that she really does fear that preachers will be forced at gunpoint to marry “homosexuals.” That is what she has been told by those she trusts. I realize that she is ultimately responsible for what she says during her shows, but, frankly, I blame the preacher.

16. mcNnyc says

poor thing she’s about to meet her “maker”
    Good thing cause she really needs to be on suicide watch right about now.

Sad. Pathetic religious nut case.

17. Javier says

Dear Ms. Shocked-

Please do us all a favor and choke on your smug self righteous venomous words.

You choose to use your God to hate on other people; to divide and to oppress.

Whereas, others choose to use their God to love other people bringing them closer together and accepting them for who they are.

For you, hate is an easier path… Good luck with that!

JR

18. Marc C says

This is why I despise, organized religion. Christians, Muslims, Jews, you’re all the same. You think that you have the right to dictate my life to me. Newsflash, I don’t f#@king want you to save me. Take your drivel and put it where the sun doesn’t shine. F#@k you.

Goodnight everybody. And please remember to drop a few quarters in my hat, won’t you please?

19. bayhuntr says

You get the impression evangelicals are cowering in a their homes terrified that the end days are being triggered by gay marriage. I hope they are terrified, I hope they waste their entire lives cowering in the corner. Stupid fools.

20. Kevin Foster says

Christianity should come with a warning label: CAUTION! THIS RELIGION MAY CAUSE FEELING OF SMUG SUPERIORITY, DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR, GENOCIDAL URGES, MAY CAUSE VILE AND LOATHSOME HATRED OF OTHERS, MAY CAUSE ENDLESS STRIFE AND SUFFERING FOR ALL INVOLVED, WILL LIKELY VOID ANY SEMBLANCE OF HUMAN DECENCY YOU CURRENTLY POSSESS.

21. LJC says

Well, I think this bizarre tale is more interesting then reading about Lindsey Lohan’s latest court appearance (again) or Kim Kardashian’s pregnancy or a pointless grandstanding GLAAD awards show.

22. RR61 says

Yeah I found my 30-year old Michelle Shocked cassette tape. (Oddly enough it was the last time she was relevant.) I enjoyed throwing it in the trash. Back to obscurity where you belong……

23. Bill says

Re “You get the impression evangelicals are cowering in a their homes terrified that the end days are being triggered by gay marriage.” … that is probably true – someone who can believe the world was created in 7 mean solar days can believe anything. It’s why the Republicans hooked up with them – you need people who are really, really gullible to believe that economic policies that benefit only the top 0.01% of the population are good for them too.

24. Georgie says

Yikes, that was a sad and uncomfortable situation. She got lost in her persecution fantasies. Her clever banter turned into self pity. No one came to the concert to hear more about her religious beliefs. I think she’s been brainwashed. San Francisco is an oasis for many, including myself. No community is perfect – I’ve had my disagreements with some individuals, but the community on the whole is a lifesaver. She’s too jaded and relatively privileged to see that anymore. Whoopsie – her tour evaporated. Welcome to what the rest of us think.

25. billypollina says

I really wish folks would stop trying to pass this off as she’s some kind of crazy or not firing on all cylinders. She’s a bigot. Period. When you spew that amount of hate it can sound crazy to sane and loving people. I believe this woman is completely sane, she’s just a bible thumping, hate flinging, homophobe, who loves to spread lies dressed up in religious ideology. She can’t get lost fast enough for me. I hope her European gigs cancel just as fast as her US gigs did.

26. David says

Thoughts? Besides her being batshit crazy – very disappointed with the crowd in Oakland for not shutting her bigoted dumb ass up sooner. But thank you for finally doing it!

Respectfully, a “Faggot” in Los Angeles who like Anderson Cooper, counts being gay a blessing.

27. pardon me, but . . . . says

She actually took the IQ lowering pill. It works just as promised. She hates everyone different than her. And her future earning potential is . . . . . going going gone just like her mind. Another one bites the dust.

28. DannyEastVillage says

my god. listening to even more of it–something’s really wrong with that child. I agree with Dastius–it’s reminiscent of that scene at the end of Altman’s “Nashville” when the singer is so dissociated that she loses the thread of what she’s saying.

29. mike says

It is quite obvious that she is mentally disturbed. For that I give her a “pass” of sorts. I’ve always enjoyed her music but this will undoubtedly be a major setback in her career.

30. CKNJ says

What amazed me is how many people wanted her to carry on and did not defend their gay fellow citizens… shows even SF has its own fair share of homophobes that are happy to throw us under the bus. Good for those that spoke up and good for Yoshi’s for pulling the plug!

31. Randy says

Finally listened to it. Michelle is scum. But why would anyone be surprised?

She’s only following what her book tells her. There’s nothing ever noble in that.

As for talent, the world is overrun with it. We don’t need hers.