Joy Behar Leaving ‘The View’ After 16 Years

Joy Behar is leaving The View, reports the Hollywood Reporter:

Behar"Joy Behar has been instrumental in the success of The View from the very beginning," read a statement from ABC. "We wish her all the best in this next chapter, and are thrilled that we have her for the remainder of the season."

…Behar and Walters had seats at The View table with Meredith Vieira, Star Jones and Debbie Matenopoulos when the show premiered in 1997. Tweaks to the lineup along the way, most notably the firing of Jones and Rosie O'Donnell's controversial two-year stint as moderator, led to a current panel that includes Sherri Shepherd, Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Whoopi Goldberg.

Said Behar to Deadline: “It seemed like the right time. You reach a point when you say to yourself, ‘Do I want to keep doing this?’ There are other things on my plate I want to do — I’ve been writing a play, I’ve been neglecting my standup.”

Comments

1. Jerry says

For better or for worse, it’s been a good run. I hope she stops off in Texas when she hits the road again.

2. Dback says

There are days where I feel as if Joy Behar is the only sane person in America. She’s been invaluable on “The View,” and I too will miss her terribly. (However, now they can hire Ali Wentworth!)

3. Diana says

Once she leaves, there will be no more reason to watch that show. The rest of them are complete dunces. That homophobic pig Sherri should leave too.

4. says

The Hollywood Reporter needs an editor: Rosie O’Donnell was only on the show for one year. One dreadful year.

And I agree with the other comments here, Joy was the only remaining reason to watch the show. She is sharp, quick, and progressive. Swoon.

5. KZ says

My favorite episode from “The View” is where they’re all sitting in chairs and clucking like chickens. Then Star Jones lays an egg. Oh wait. That was a cutaway gag from “Family Guy.”

6. Billy says

I’m glad she’s leaving. She always butts in with an unfunny joke. She can be very annoying. But I wish her well.

7. Maguitac says

How she survived this long working with that shrieking right-wing nut Elisabeth Hasselbeck is beyond me. Like many have stated, Joy was the only reason to tune in, beyond that, with Whoopi supporting child rapists in the name of “art”, Sherri representing the summit of ignorance and assertive obtuseness, American women have never been more misrepresented than on that show.

Hope Joy lands something worthy of her quick wit, and quirky awesome character.

8. Jase says

First they lose Rosie and now Joy (yet they keep Hasselback). Maybe they should change the name of The View to The Who?

9. Bill From Tribeca says

I won’t be watching the view after Joy leaves – She is amazing and holds the show together – Elizabeth is insuferable – Why don’t they just Fire her – What an IDIOT BILL

10. NY2.0 says

I’ll miss her, she is the only talking head on the show I can tolerate. To a lesser extent I can tolerate Whoopi, the others aren’t even close.

11. Polyboy says

She was the best thing about the show. The daytime world will be a poorer place for her absence.

She is a fierce gay ally and has used her platforms on our behalf before it was fashionable.

12. jeremyrain says

Sounds like she was fired from the job. But whatever, I really hate Walter’s gut anyway.

13. Jack M says

As others have said, when Joy leaves the show, there will be no reason to watch. Barbara is an old biddy, Sherri and Elizabeth are right-wing idiots, and even Whoopi has gotten bland. Joy will do fine on her own.

14. One of the CA 36,000 says

“The View” will certainly be much poorer without Joy Behar’s hilarious, progressive insight.

Yeah, she’s a standup comic– with a master’s degree and one of the sharpest minds in TV. Best of luck, Joy.

15. ThomT says

It’s unlikely she was fired as she actually does have a lot on her plate and “The View” was taking a big chunk out of the middle of her day. Watch for an announcement (coming soon) that Behar will be headlining CNN’s first late night comedy/talk show. It’s going to happen.

16. David Hearne says

But will Paris Hilton take over Vanna White’s job? Insipid minds want to know!