Ben Cohen | Facial Hair | Film | Grooming | News

Bare vs. Bear Debated in New Manscaping Documentary: VIDEO

Manscaping

A new documentary looks at the gay obsession with body hair (or lack of it) and features some commentary from our staunch hairy ally, Ben Cohen.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

What's your preference, smooth or hairy?

Cohen

Comments

1. Christopher Hines is back: I've enjoyed his previous documentaries a lot. They feel a lot more like a coffee-table book in video-format though. More eye-candy than substance. That being said, I'll definitely watch this one.

Posted by: Geoff | Mar 8, 2013 9:36:38 AM

2. I fall squarely in the pro-body/facial hair category! I'm so glad that facial hair is back in fashion and it kills me to see men with beautiful body hair shaving and waxing. Ugh!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 8, 2013 9:39:34 AM

3. Just because you like hair doesn't mean you're into bears. Where are the other forms of hairy men in the doc?

Posted by: Tom S. | Mar 8, 2013 9:40:23 AM

4. Totally smooth bodies on men have all the sex appeal of a 12 year old - which is to say - zero sex appeal. If you have the fur, embrace it.
    And totally smooth pube areas? - just remember, you too can look like a plucked chicken, Yuck.

Posted by: BearEyes | Mar 8, 2013 9:43:35 AM

5. Big Girls.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 8, 2013 9:44:16 AM

6. Maybe it' an attempt to get the catholic priests to lay off the children.

Posted by: bambinoitalianoba | Mar 8, 2013 9:51:01 AM

7. I prefer hairy guys, but if you must wax is better then shaving. Nothing worse than rubbing on a prickly chest.

Posted by: james | Mar 8, 2013 9:54:00 AM

8. I'm firmly in the pro-body hair camp. Body hair a sign of male adult maturity and all this waxing and plucking seems rather prissy to me. That said, many men (including me) have to do a little "manscaping" due to an odd distribution of body hair. I get a "puff" in the middle of my chest that looks like a bath scrunchie when the rest is thinner, so I trim that part.

But that's me. Hey, if you like that utterly smooth chest look, go for it. It's your body.

But definitely NO SHAVED PUBES! It gives off a prepubescent vibe I don't like. That includes overly shaved pubes that look like frigging Hitler moustache!

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 8, 2013 10:05:53 AM

9. Hairy = +

Posted by: Drummond | Mar 8, 2013 10:10:09 AM

10. Hairy/natural. I agree, men over a certain age (40?) who are clearly waxing or shaving look a little...unnerving. (No offense if you're naturally smooth.)

Posted by: Dback | Mar 8, 2013 10:12:12 AM

11. I'm 31, losing the hair on my head, pretty hairy everywhere else. I decided to start a beard last month. It's not as thick as the guy on the left in the top photo, but it's quite full. And honestly, I have gotten SO much more attention from gay guys and straight girls it's not even funny. We're in a beard culture. As for body hair, I'm far less ashamed than I used to be. Grr!

Posted by: Billy | Mar 8, 2013 10:22:35 AM

12. Hairy is better, but if you have hair on your back or shoulders, that's disgusting. Shave that sh*t off.

Posted by: Lucas | Mar 8, 2013 10:32:30 AM

13. Preference: Ben Cohen. That is all.

Posted by: MT | Mar 8, 2013 10:32:55 AM

14. not a single 'woof' yet?

WOOF

Posted by: adam | Mar 8, 2013 10:34:42 AM

15. Good, God. If you are attracted to a totally hairless body, go find yourself a woman or a mannequin.

"What's your preference, smooth or hairy?"

My preference is for bodies that are entirely in their NATURAL state, whatever that is, no shaving, no waxing, no tattoos, no artificial alterations of any kind. Just as my preference is for men who BEHAVE naturally, without either effeminate mannerisms and affectations or phony displays of what they imagine to be masculinity.

And virtually all men have at least some body hair in their natural state. What could possible be more boring or less attractive than total hairlessness or artificiality in general?

Posted by: Rick | Mar 8, 2013 10:42:40 AM

16. HAIR! Naturally smooth guys are fine and I have seem some very beautiful ones but I prefer hair, everywhere.

I have a friend who shaves everything, even his arms and it looks horrible, all because his boyfriend doesn't like the hair. I'd ditch the boyfriend and grow my hair.

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 8, 2013 10:50:08 AM

17. Rick, I was with you until you claimed some gay men choose to be feminine. Some gay men are naturally feminine and they can't help it. I'm sure there is someone for everyone and we don't have to insult others to voice what it is that gets our motor running.

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 8, 2013 10:52:26 AM

18. Hairy!

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Mar 8, 2013 10:55:59 AM

19. The money that went into making this could be used for something that actually matters.

Posted by: Jon | Mar 8, 2013 10:57:47 AM

20. Zak Spears unshaven, that's a MUSCLE BEAR.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Mar 8, 2013 11:07:25 AM

21. Zak Spears unshaven, that's a MUSCLE BEAR.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Mar 8, 2013 11:07:27 AM

22. Seriouslly is your body hair, if you like keep it, if you want to trim it or wax it all off, it's your body, don't let anyone tell you what to do, make yourself happy.

Posted by: misael | Mar 8, 2013 11:08:01 AM

23. *yawns*

I'd be more interested in a doc on how both of these seemingly oppositional standards of beauty both glorify a standard of beauty that's very much centered on white men.

Posted by: New-new | Mar 8, 2013 11:11:34 AM

24. I'm devoutly in the "U B U" category. If letting the "forest" grow wild is your thing--go for it. If you want to defoliate and be totally hairless--good on ya.

As a bear experiencing near-total hair loss from Alopecia, I have seen this from both sides. Increasingly I view the "Bear ethos" as being less about how hairy, stocky. or girthy a bear is, and more about a healthy acceptance of self and others. To me, the central issue of "bearhood" is not demanding conformity to one gay male ideal (i.e., clone or twink). Yes, I realize that it's about big hairy guys. But I favor the most inclusive approach possible.

P.S. Don't knock smooth pubes 'til you've tried it. LOL

Posted by: homogenius | Mar 8, 2013 11:12:22 AM

25. This is a really bad blog for young people. We should be getting away from all this silly stuff.

Posted by: barney | Mar 8, 2013 11:12:26 AM