Ben Cohen | Facial Hair | Film | Grooming | News

BigGayDeal.com

Bare vs. Bear Debated in New Manscaping Documentary: VIDEO

Manscaping

A new documentary looks at the gay obsession with body hair (or lack of it) and features some commentary from our staunch hairy ally, Ben Cohen.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

What's your preference, smooth or hairy?

Cohen

Comments

1. Glad to see most comments are pro hair/scruff!
    That men actually get waxed makes my head want to explode!

Posted by: Tom in Long Beach | Mar 8, 2013 11:14:06 AM

2. Ed Harris, Robert Redford, Michael Billington, Patrick Warburton, Patrick Muldoon, Clint Walker, Mike Henry, Yummy!

Posted by: Scooter | Mar 8, 2013 11:21:21 AM

3. 100% pro facial hair

body hair is dependent on the person. If into them then whatever is their natural state

But any man whether naturally smooth chested or hairy can grow at least a couple of hairs on their face and that is a definite turn on as vs smooth faced

Posted by: Moz's | Mar 8, 2013 11:27:09 AM

4. I wish I had more body hair. I prefer a moderate amount on guys, with a trimmed but not shaven pubic area. Hairy chests are a must!

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 8, 2013 11:39:31 AM

5. I think guys should do with their bodies what they want and not what their squeeze thinks is best. I like hairy, but if someone likes the smooth look I say go for it. Very often though when I see someone who's obviously denuded themselves all I can think of is a plucked chicken.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Mar 8, 2013 1:21:15 PM

6. Try exercising with lots of chest and back hair, it's scratchy. Getting it off is a lot more comfortable. And bear culture should not mean that you get to be a lazy slob.

Posted by: anon | Mar 8, 2013 1:28:21 PM

7. I'm furry all over, front and back. There's so much hating on hairy backs in the media and general society (see Lucas's comment above) that it took a long time to feel comfortable about mine. At this point I'm just so sick of other people constantly feeling they need to weigh in on whether or not we hairy men should shave or wax.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 8, 2013 1:49:40 PM

8. Hairy is hot. Naturally smooth is OK, if that's the way you were born, but pruning and preening and trimming and waxing is ego-centric, unless it's nose hair or a forest growing in your ears. Hairy bodies are what truly defines masculinity, visually anyway. Women are stereotypically hairless, men shouldn't be. Muscles go better with hair too. I'd rather date a Paul Bunyan or Smokey the Bear kind of guy.

Posted by: Homerepairbear | Mar 8, 2013 1:57:54 PM

9. It's all well and good to have a preference, but I'm squarely with the camp that allows for - shocking - everyone to choose their own style for themselves, and be cool with what styles that find attractive.

I wish I was hairier, but that ain't happening. So I keep what I've got in a trim style, lest it look absurd.

It's also absurd to insist that everyone stay "natural," because - yeah, all that nose and ear hair is natural, too. Sheesh.

So is going bald, and I bet most men would do something about that if they could.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 8, 2013 2:15:46 PM

10. Of course everyone should be able to do whatever they want...from letting it grow to totally bald all over and everything in between.

I find a lot of naturally smooth guys to be totally hot. And a handsome, bearded face with a hairy chest can get my motor running just as fast. But I find it a complete and total turn off when a guy has shaved or severely trimmed his pubes. A bare crotch just makes you look like a pre-pubescent boy and that ain't hot AT ALL!

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 8, 2013 2:52:33 PM

11. Oh...and I am *so* goddamn sick of straight women talking about how gross it is to blow a guy whose crotch isn't totally denuded. Are they freaking kidding? If they are ending up with a mouthful of hair, then they clearly don't know how to give an effing blowjob.

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 8, 2013 2:57:50 PM

12. Denuded is one thing, but if I gay man can't be bothered to manscape something non-minefield down there (to say nothing of making one's junk look heftier by virtue of not hiding it in a bush), then I'm kinda disappointed in his gay credentials.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 8, 2013 4:04:23 PM

13. heheh, um, "if A gay man can't be bothered," not "if I gay man." Is that typo freudian, or just because I watched "I Robot" late last night?

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 8, 2013 4:06:32 PM

14. @ bobby
    thanks

@ rick

I am that naturally effeminate person and I naturally have no chest hair save 3 single hairs and still can't grow a beard at 36. I suspect you may have not fully accepted all aspects of yourself because you are showing the same irrational judgement of effeminate males as an uncomfortable straight male. All of us fall in different places on the gender spectrum and thankfully there is someone out there that likes where I am on the spectrum, 13yrs and he is hairy but I do shave is shoulders and back because its patchy.

Posted by: DesignerBobby | Mar 8, 2013 5:11:52 PM

15. I have always been attracted to men with hairy chest, hairy forearms are sexy and so are hairy legs- yes there such a thing as too much hair ( sorry but hairy backs and shoulders are a turn off)- but why do grown men want to be as smooth as babies?!

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 8, 2013 5:53:38 PM

16. I join others in decrying oppositional thinking. There's no need to elevate our preferences into actual values or orthodoxies.

For myself: it all depends on where the man is hairy. I like hairy chests, and trimmed beards. I don't like back/shoulder hair, and I generally prefer some trimming around the groin.

I also don't find bear sub-culture appealing at all. I understand it works for others, but to me it's merely proof of our inherent tendencies towards tribalization. I think people are better off attempting to engage with others who are not necessarily like themselves.

Posted by: Nat | Mar 8, 2013 6:37:02 PM

17. Ben Cohen is my preference. Having said that, message to the bear community, mix it up a little with us hairless bear chasers...some of us like fur too! Nothing turns me on more than having your hair brush up against my smooth, tight olive toned skin! Scratch my face with your 5 o'clock shadow while whispering sweet dirty nothings in my ear!

Posted by: Alfredo | Mar 8, 2013 6:42:04 PM

18. People need to be themselves, shaving is so fembot, and not fun to touch. And for the Bear community, it's okay to have some fur, but not dyed goatees, you are not fooling anyone!!!

Posted by: ty | Mar 8, 2013 7:01:54 PM

19. I don't like Lions and Tigers and Bears. Especially Bears!

Posted by: andrew | Mar 9, 2013 1:06:05 AM

20. Proof that we have really dumbed down since the Bush years, we should be more concerned with how to prop up our fellow human beings as the political class shows increasing indifference to the have nots. Furry or not? who cares?

Posted by: DC Arnold | Mar 9, 2013 11:16:50 AM

21. Wow, I wish there were more hair loving guys like the commentators in this forums from where I live (Vancouver=image/gym obsessed) haha. It would make dating or just meeting up with people much MUCH easier *sigh*

Posted by: Marshall1 | Mar 9, 2013 1:09:04 PM

22. Hairy chests and scruff, definitely.

Posted by: boone68 | Mar 9, 2013 7:52:02 PM

23. THOSE DUDES ARE ---GROSS------ AND THAT COHEN GUY IS ALSO VERY UNATTRACTIVE AS WELL

Posted by: Shannon | Mar 11, 2013 1:02:44 AM