Football (American) | News | NFL | Rob Gronkowski | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

New England Patriot Rob Gronkowski Says Gay Player Would Be 'Another Teammate and Another Friend'

Gronkowski

New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski tells Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco on ESPN Radio New York that he's fine with a gay player on the team:

"I got this question before, about a year ago, and I basically will say the same answer that I did a year ago. You've got to accept the player. Everyone has their own ways to live their life and as long as he's respecting me, keeping distance, respecting myself, I'll respect him back. If he's being a great teammate and he's a guy on the field doing a great job, well then you've got nothing to complain about. He's another teammate and another friend."

Asked if other players would respond the same way, Gronkowski adds:

"I never went around asking players on my team or in the NFL, 'Hey, what would you think if someone on our team is gay? How would you take it?' I never thought of that, and never asked anyone that and never tried to find out if there is [a gay player] on the team. If someone is on my team and they are a great teammate and a great player on the field, helping the team win -- that's all you've got to ask for."

Comments

1. What makes some heterosexual men think all gay men want to have sex with them? Keep their distance? WTF? We have a long way to go.

Posted by: truthteller | Mar 29, 2013 3:15:35 PM

2. Come on, people. The "keeping distance" comment was just an acknowledgement of the reality that 99% of gay men would hit on Gronk if they thought they had even a 1% chance of getting his d!ck.

You know it, I know it, he knows it, everybody knows it.

So stop pretending it isn't true.

He is just keeping it real....which is preferable in my opinion to someone lying for the sake of political correctness.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 29, 2013 3:16:43 PM

3. A very good straight friend of mine used to go to the same gym as me. We showered together a numner of times. It wasn't a big deal. The thought me of having to "keep my distance" from him I'm sure never, ever entered his mind.(And he's Polish, too, as is Gronkowski's orgins, if I'm not mistaken.)

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 29, 2013 3:24:41 PM

4. "What makes some heterosexual men think all gay men want to have sex with them?"

In his case, because it's true. OK, maybe not all, just 99.8% (LOL).

Posted by: Rick | Mar 29, 2013 3:25:06 PM

5. What I meant to say is that closeted gay men like myself would hit on him because we're such complete wimps that we're terrified of being around any guy who is openly or obviously gay.

I mean, the reason that some straight guys are afraid of gay men hitting on them are because of closeted losers like myself forcing ourselves onto them because we're not man enough to date, you know, actual out gay men.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 29, 2013 3:25:09 PM

6. I agree, Rick. I always end up hitting on straight men and that's mainly because I'm terrified of any guy that you can tell is gay, so I just touch straight men and hope for the best. We truly are a lot alike.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 29, 2013 3:28:38 PM

7. "A very good straight friend of mine used to go to the same gym as me. We showered together a numner of times. It wasn't a big deal. The thought me of having to "keep my distance" from him I'm sure never, ever entered his mind.(And he's Polish, too, as is Gronkowski's orgins, if I'm not mistaken.)"

Probably because you were already friends by the time you started being in the shower together and "boundaries" had already been established in some way.

Any time a gay man and a straight man become friends with each other, that boundary, assuming there is one, is going to have to be established pretty early on for the friendship to proceed.

Again, we all know this.

All strangers, however, are fair game, as we all know, unless and until we get to know them and ascertain what the boundaries are, if any.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 29, 2013 3:30:29 PM

8. As long as the gay player is "keeping distance"..."he's another teammate and friend".

What would we ever do without our straight male friends.

Posted by: Anony6 | Mar 29, 2013 3:32:50 PM

9. One more point...

Look at the way some of these same straight men objectify women, and perpetuate patriarchy. Oh that's okay, but being viewed as a sex object by gay men is just crossing the line.

Posted by: Anony6 | Mar 29, 2013 3:42:51 PM

10. (I know, I know, I REALLY shouldn't feed the trolls...) but I have to in this case. Sorry.

Rick, Yes we were friends before we started showering togrther at the gym, but the only "boundary" that existed is that he is 100% straight and I am 100% gay. He's comfortable in his own skin and not afraid of me - even naked in the shower. I'm comfortable in my own skin, too, and when I shower in a public place, I do so to get clean and get out of there. End of.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 29, 2013 3:46:41 PM

11. "keeping distance" didn't sound very good, but I think he just meant, "yo, dude, don't hit on me."

A lot of women would say the same thing about straight men, when there's unwanted attention aimed at them.

So, while I wish he was a bit more thoughtful on how he said it, let's realize 1) he's not fully exposed on the issue and 2) he's a football player, not a spokesman and 3) his statement was actually pretty darn supportive.

Hopefully, he'll course correct and clear up that bit that I think was inartfully said, but over all I'm happy he's on the record as being supportive of a player coming out.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 29, 2013 3:56:20 PM

12. Lay off him for the `distance`remark....he`s so much cooler than the cowardly gay soccer player who came out and then quit his team...he diffinently kept his distance...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Mar 29, 2013 4:02:40 PM

13. alot of non-sports players criticizing/cyberbullying a guy who can bring the game...cue the surprise
    The Gronk is awesome!!

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Mar 29, 2013 4:05:36 PM

14. "the only "boundary" that existed is that he is 100% straight and I am 100% gay"

Right. Which you both knew before showering. Boundary firmly established=No problem. Boundary nof firmly established=Lots of potential for problems.

"So what if every gay man did want to sleep with some straight guy. Get over it. The expressed sensitivity of straight men to the possibility of attracting gay males is so damn hypocritical.

Look at the way some of these same straight men objectify women, and perpetuate patriarchy. Oh that's okay, but being viewed as a sex object by gay men is just crossing the line"

No hypocrisy on their part at all. They are not allowed to shower with women. You, as a gay man, ARE allowed to shower with straight men. BIG difference.....and that is why Gronk said what he did.

Another difference: Straight men are "sensitive" to being found attractive to gay men because it might make others think they are gay, themselves.....which would not be an issue IF being gay did not have the connotation of being unmasculine.....and it will have that connotation as long as the culture of effeminacy prevails and most gay men ARE unmasculine.

Straight women, by contrast, don't resent straight men being attracted to them--indeed, most of them jump through hoops to try to be attractive to men--it is not "objectification" they resent; it is fear of the perception that they are too "easy" to get, which lowers their social value--and this is why they react negatively to casual advances from most men.

See what happens when you take your head out from under the skirts of feminists and actually think for yourself--AS A MAN, rather than as a pseudo-woman.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 29, 2013 4:11:25 PM

15. Gronk is hot. You just know he's got a big thick one.

Posted by: bravo | Mar 29, 2013 5:05:48 PM

16. I know a girl who dated Gronk before he got big his first year in NE. He went shopping for an air conditioner, said "I like this one" about a dehumidifier. 100% true story. He's not the brightest bulb.

So the keeping distance remark is an inarticulate way of saying as long as he isn't looking for love in the locker room, he's happy to have him on the team.

As an ally, one of the most infuriating things about sticking up for the community is that if I misspeak one word, I get killed for it as if I was a genuine bigot. Cut the guy some slack.

Posted by: Davey | Mar 29, 2013 5:46:29 PM

17. Gronk wanted to take Saint Timmy's virginity.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 29, 2013 5:47:18 PM

18. I'd hit it. Provided he bottomed.

We all know where his pigskin's been.

Posted by: FFS | Mar 29, 2013 5:53:09 PM

19. Sorry, the silly overreaction to "keeping distance" says more about most of you than it does about him. He's a dumb straight jock, but not a homophobic one. "Keeping Distance" is just his awkward way of saying he doesn't want to be hit on by a gay male. I have no problem with that. I don't like being hit on by females.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Mar 29, 2013 6:47:23 PM

20. It's not really an overreaction. If he would have flat out said "as long as he doesn't hit on me" then that would have been the major focus of his comments. No, he's not hateful, not homophobic. That doesn't mean his comment still isn't conditional acceptance because it is. Taken at face value, his comment is insulting, and taken in the context he was saying "as long as they don't hit on me" it's arrogant and foolish.

It is what it is. Like I said earlier, we'll take what we can get, but absolutely not am I nor should any of us hail the guy as an ally. An ally wouldn't say what he said, inarticulate jock or not. But I appreciate the support.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 29, 2013 11:00:46 PM

21. And I will say that I'm not too offended by what Gronk said. I'm not bashing him. But he said what he said. He's stupid but he's I'm assuming smart enough to say a few sentences with some sense behind them. He said that as long as a gay player more or less doesn't bring his gayness around him that it's OK. As long as he doesn't get too close, I'm OK. That is not a supportive comment. Everything else he said was fine. That statement though is very much not fine. Comments like that aren't helping matters.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 29, 2013 11:12:02 PM

22. Ok, so I am not the only one who was baffled, pissed and confused by the "keeping distance" comment. How can you consider someone a friend or teammate, if you only interact with them from a distance? He is not secure in who he is, if he was having a gay man in his personal space would not not bother him.

Posted by: Cincy513 | Mar 30, 2013 3:30:14 AM

23. By "keeping distance" he might mean a personal distance as well. Our straight friends may know we are gay and have no trouble with that, and may even know and appreciate our partners, but they don't want to know if we fisted someone last night, ya know?

Posted by: Rick Robertson | Mar 30, 2013 11:02:59 AM

24. Thanks for being a real man Rob, I never really doubted it anyway.

Posted by: Rees Cramer | Mar 30, 2013 1:20:48 PM

25. It's OK for women to object to being sexually harassed; Gronkowski deserves equal rights.

Posted by: Rich | Mar 30, 2013 3:27:13 PM