Crime | Fort Worth | News | Texas

Texas Woman Faces Assault Charges for Bloody Beating of Gay Son with an Electrical Cord

A Forest Hill, Texas (suburb of Fort Worth) mother is facing charges of assault with bodily injury to a family member after being turned in by her son's grandmother. Erica Moore beat her son with an electrical cord after walking in on him in a sex act with another teen, CBS-DFW reports:

Foresthill“My cousin at the time he was 18. My son he was 15 and I had walked in the room on [my cousin] giving oral sex to my son and I started whooping my son, and I’m the one who got in trouble as a result of me whooping him,” she said. “When I walked in I saw my son, it was just disgusting to me, the way he was looking and my cousin was looking, and my cousin immediately ran out the door. And I’m just like what the?!? You know, is you serious? So that was my reaction because it disgusted me.”

Moore admits that she struck her son with an electrical cord because it’s a form of discipline she was taught, and because she doesn’t believe in homosexuality.

“The police department told me that it was consensual, but they was committing a homosexual act in my house and we are totally against that. So I whooped my son and about three or four months later they came and arrested me for abuse,” she recalled.

Forest Hill Police meanwhile say Moore went too far, causing bleeding and leaving marks on the boy’s thighs, forearms, hands, torso and back.

As disturbing is what she said about the police officer who came to arrest her:

Moore said that the officer who arrived told her he understood why she beat her son and that he would have gone even farther.

“Even that day when the police officer came out here, he told me out of his own mouth, ‘If it was me and I walked in on my child,’ he said, ‘parent to parent I probably would have shot him. I probably would have shot both of them.’ He said but with the law you can’t, you’re not allowed to put whoops on him. He said you can whoop him but you’re not allowed to leave any marks on him,” she said.

Comments

1. At least grandma has some brains.

Posted by: joe | Mar 7, 2013 9:12:55 AM

2. good lord, ignorant bigots have the worst command of the English language. is you serious?

Posted by: EO | Mar 7, 2013 9:20:44 AM

3. How about we just shoot both the mom and the cop? Seems that would solve two problems right there.

Posted by: LiamB | Mar 7, 2013 9:21:26 AM

4. And it took 3 or 4 months for her to be arrested?

Posted by: Whoop E. Goldberg | Mar 7, 2013 9:24:46 AM

5. As a Texan, I hang my head in shame. Not all of us are as pig ignorant as this woman and the cop.

Posted by: John in Houston | Mar 7, 2013 9:25:33 AM

6. A shocking headline, but then the story gets grosser and grosser with every illiterately stated sentence. Good for Towleroad traffic, though, as this story will attract commenters hating on the gaybashers, hating on the homophobic cops, grossing out on the gay incest angle, and of course the old "only in Texas" vs "this happens in the blue states all the time too" debate. Advice to the Texans, though, I'd keep a low profile on this one.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 7, 2013 9:27:11 AM

7. I hope that kid has a way out of that house and out of that town, and that he finds a real family to support him soon. Sad that he'll probably be carrying around some serious emotional scars for a very long time, if not his whole life.

However awkward my relationship with my parents could get regarding my sexuality in the first few years after coming out, stories like this remind me that I was pretty lucky.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 7, 2013 9:27:51 AM

8. I found the cop's statements to be most shocking. Where does this hate come from?

Posted by: Chriso | Mar 7, 2013 9:33:31 AM

9. "... the way he was looking"??? What? Aroused? Content? HAPPY?
    Disgusting, both the mom and, worse, the cop.

Posted by: Book | Mar 7, 2013 9:34:21 AM

10. I do not support the mother or the cop (according to her) at all, but just wondering.... is it consensual for a 15 yo to have sex with an 18 in TX only, or all over? is this just for male on male or male female as well?

one would think that this could be statutory rape... and at 15, the kid might not even be gay or bi or anything... just coerced into having a sexual act with someone (older) who knows better...

Posted by: V-8 | Mar 7, 2013 9:36:48 AM

11. At first I was happily surprised that she was charged at all. Then I read the part about the police officer and my expectations of Texas was restored again.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 7, 2013 9:40:29 AM

12. 'I don't believe in homosexuality'. What does that mean? It's not a question of belief, they exist. So does she really mean 'I am homophobic'? It's like someone saying they don't 'believe' in black people, when they really mean they just hate them. I think she means to say 'I don't like homosexuality'.

It's also interesting when parents beat teenagers for being sexual. That's the one thing all their instincts are telling them to do at that age...not a surprise if they act on it. I can understand a whoopin' for dropping out of school, stealing or purposely hurting someone. But it seems like a parent should have the ability to explain in words how their children should control their sexual urges, instead of through beatings.

I'm sure the 'woulda shot him' police officer just confirmed her idea that homosexuality is wrong, and it's that damn government gettin in the way of our right to shoot 'em!

Posted by: HOCKEYJOCK | Mar 7, 2013 9:45:02 AM

13. That kid means nothing to that woman except a welfare check.

Posted by: Cash Me. | Mar 7, 2013 9:55:29 AM

14. Isn't this what happened to Rick?

Posted by: ripper | Mar 7, 2013 9:57:29 AM

15. "Is you serious"?

Typical Texas.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 7, 2013 9:59:31 AM

16. If she did this solely because her son is gay, could she be brought up on hate crime charges? Please?

And, yeah, it could be statutory rape depending on the legal ages involved, but I'd be more concerned that it was the mom's son and cousin fooling around. Are they the only two gays in Texas that they had to keep it in the family like that? It hardly matters to me, I mean, no one is getting pregnant from this rather distant incest.

Posted by: Book | Mar 7, 2013 10:04:37 AM

17. I wouldn't be so sure that the grandmother reported it. They story says they sent a cop to get her after the grandmother took the kid to the hospital to treat his wounds. I'm guessing the hospital reported, as it would be bound to do in a case of obvious abuse.

I'm guessing that because it doesn't sound like this woman was raised in a particularly wonderful home. To wit, from the story:

>> “I actually caught this going on in my house so how was I supposed to react to it? I supposed to just let it go? No! We was taught to discipline our kids and we whoop our kids,” she said.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 7, 2013 10:04:54 AM

18. I am not surprised that a parent walking in on their 15 year old having sex would be upset. That is natural. There is a right way of dealing with it though, and that means sitting down and having a serious discussion about sex, safety, etc. It does not mean beating your child, or in the police officers case shooting your child. Thank God the childs grandmother had the brains and the guts to take action.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Mar 7, 2013 10:10:30 AM

19. Two things explain it all:

1.) "And I’m just like what the?!? You know, is you serious?"

2.) Again, It's TEXAS.

Is you serious?

Posted by: jtramon | Mar 7, 2013 10:14:35 AM

20. As several posters have inferred about this shameful story: "only in Texas". As someone who has lived in Texas for the past seven years, I concur with the thought. Unfortunately, I've lived a lot of other places across the US and these ignorant homophobic sentiments are NOT restricted just to Texas. The times for the GLBT community may be a-changin' but at different speeds in different communities. Ignorance like that expressed in this story has to be taught. Until such time as the "teachers of hate" disappear, I'm afraid we'll be living with similar nightmarish stories for many, many years.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Mar 7, 2013 10:14:51 AM

21. Texas is so vastly different from the rest of the country.

Posted by: KFLO | Mar 7, 2013 10:19:07 AM

22. I hope an investigation is opened over the officer's alleged comments. I am aware that he may not have really made those comments and that the woman is lying, but if he really did say that, that is not the kind of person who should be a police officer.

Posted by: Keith | Mar 7, 2013 10:36:19 AM

23. I probably would have SHOT the both of them?

Texas, I'm sorry, but done defending the state. It's hate crime after hate crime after hate crime after horrendous incident. Continuous hatred against our community. Austin and Houston can be saved and the rest of the state should be thrown in a ditch.

Like, this is unbelievably horrific and tragic. This Erica Moore woman needs to a) be charged with child abuse, b) lose her children. She's not fit to be a parent. The cop in question needs to be fired. What a sad story. I hope the young man in question has someone he can talk to because I'm sure he's traumatized.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 7, 2013 10:37:11 AM

24. This woman is taking to the media to embarrass her son. This is the amount of hatred these people have against our community and anyone who is non-heterosexual. Hopefully she's locked up for a good while. Throw the book at her and then some. They don't take too kindly to people who abuse children in prison.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 7, 2013 10:41:44 AM

25. C'mon. Let's be honest here. It's not JUST the fact that this happened in Texas, but ALSO the fact that Forest Hill is a predominantly African-American community. Out of a town population of 13,000 57% are African-American, socio-economically lower- and middle-class, and religiously conservative. The city government is predominantly African-American--African-American mayor, and 4 of six elected council members also African American. Given the predominance of African Americans in city government, it's a fairly safe bet that the police officer who allegedly spoke with Erica Moore was African-American as well.

For a little bit higher resolution on the area, Forest Hill is where back in October of 2012 a Black pastor was killed with an electric guitar inside his church by a man high on PCP, whose wife and children attended the church. The man was Tazed while in police custody, and later died.

Texas definitely has its problems with equal rights and treatment for gays and lesbians, and it's more than fair to point that out. But it's also true that within the African-American community there is a similar lack of tolerance and respect for equal rights for LGBTs, and we shouldn't shy away from pointing THAT out either.

Posted by: Demo Graphic | Mar 7, 2013 10:57:03 AM