BigGayDeal.com

83-Year-Old DOMA Plaintiff Edie Windsor Speaks Following Supreme Court Arguments: VIDEO

Windsorpresser

Plaintiff Edie Windsor spoke to the press today following Supreme Court arguments on the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).

Said Windsor:

"I am today an out lesbian who just sued the United States of America which is kind of overwhelming for me. When my beatuiful sparkly Thea died four years ago I was overcome with grief. Within a month I was hospitalized with a heart attack and that kind of common. It's usually looked at as broken heart syndrome. In the midst of my grief I realized that the federal government was treating us as strangers..."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Edie's remarks:

Question and answer:

Initial remarks from the legal team:

Comments

1. Edith Windsor is a hero. Plain and simple. An "everyday person" who is doing the right thing. Her courage is helping millions.

Posted by: MarkRocks | Mar 27, 2013 2:08:26 PM

2. If you can watch Edith tell her story without tearing up then you are not human. plain and simple. Definitely a hero.

Posted by: Jim | Mar 27, 2013 2:14:48 PM

3. One thing I will say for Edith Windsor: she has FABULOUS hair!

Posted by: Kieran | Mar 27, 2013 2:16:32 PM

4. Edie Windsor is the Rosa Parks of the gay movement! You go, girl! Her courage to do this at her age is incredible. We all should be so brave and courageous.

I married my partner in NY in 2011, but we live in Ohio where it is not recognized. But we did it because it was important to us and it was a statement to all our friends and family. We have received nothing but support from those friends and family. Now we need that support from the government. Marriage is a "magic word". Civil Unions doesn't cut it.

Posted by: wolfman6 | Mar 27, 2013 2:43:52 PM

5. One of the great pleasures of my life was meeting Edie. She is a gem, and I can not even express my love for her, and my admiration for her courage.

Posted by: Lars | Mar 27, 2013 3:17:52 PM

6. Wow, how amazing. Thank you Edie Winsor for being so courageous.

Posted by: Jersey | Mar 27, 2013 3:24:48 PM

7. What a gal!

I hope some of the footdraggers in Illinois watch Edie and get a clue as to which side of history they should be on!

Posted by: Rexford | Mar 27, 2013 4:21:01 PM

8. amazing spokesperson for the queer community
    smart - articulate - and so happening
    at 83 - we should all age half as well and successfully -
    imagine being able to do what she is doing at 83 - up there speaking to the press - with notes, keeping it together - looks great!
    check out the dvd of their relationship - such an attractive and accomplished couple

Posted by: jw | Mar 27, 2013 10:12:58 PM

9. Try to remember these moments, especially those of you who are very young, because you are watching history in the making. And one day will come when young, uninterested LGBT people will be oblivious of the whole process and struggle and also of all those who died without dreaming with the opportunity of being heard and be treated as equals, and you should be there to give a word or two. Because that which isn’t cherished well enough can be taken away again with ease.

Posted by: SayTheTruth | Mar 28, 2013 3:09:39 AM