Gay Parents | I'm Gay | Jenna Wolfe | News

'Today' Show's Jenna Wolfe: I'm Gay and I'm Having a Child: VIDEO

Wolf

TODAY show weekend anchor Jenna Wolfe came out of the closet publicly today in an announcement that she and her partner, NBC News correspondent Stephanie Gosk, are having a baby and that she is carrying it.

GoskPeople reports:

“This is the most exciting thing that has ever happened to us,” the Today weekend anchor tells PEOPLE exclusively in its new issue. “But I don’t want to bring my daughter into a world where I’m not comfortable telling everyone who I am and who her mother is.”

Together for three years, Wolfe, 39, and Gosk, 40, began discussing starting a family last year — and had little trouble getting pregnant.

The couple is also planning to wed, but admit they’re more excited for the baby.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Jenna Wolfe was great as the co-anchor at weekends - until she got demoted by the arrival of Erica Hill

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Mar 27, 2013 10:46:17 AM

2. Is anyone actually surprised by this announcement? I thought it was pretty common knowledge. But congrats on the baby!

I don't think however that she made a good weekend co-anchor. She really is annoying to listen to.

Posted by: jtramon | Mar 27, 2013 10:51:29 AM

3. “We were constantly on the road, juggling a thousand balls at once,” Wolfe says. “It’s a miracle we got it all together.”

So who is going to take care of this baby while they are constantly on the road? Right, its real parent will be someone other than them. For women like this, a child is nothing but a status symbol--they will always put themselves and their own desires before the child's welfare--which is what feminism is all about......and which is why American children are in such bad shape across the board.....

Posted by: Rick | Mar 27, 2013 10:51:38 AM

4. Another child born out of wedlock. I thought this was only a heterosexual problem. *smile*

Posted by: Bollux | Mar 27, 2013 10:54:36 AM

5. Jesus Christ! Is eveyone gay?! ;-)

Posted by: Nancy | Mar 27, 2013 10:59:26 AM

6. Typical of the gays that can't just be happy for someone without having to complain about that person's character or ability. Will there ever be a time when the gays can gather to be positive for at least 30-days to love and support and push for change, instead of back-slap and denounce?

I'm happy for Jenna and her partner and let them enjoy their news and change in life.

Posted by: Craig Mingus | Mar 27, 2013 11:03:17 AM

7. Wow what ugly negative judgment out of "Rick" above. Do you think that if working class parents are working two jobs each to make ends meet, that that means they are bad parents? Why do you think that busy people with high profile, demanding jobs automatically can not be good parents? Are you living in the real world, or do you think that nobody can be a good parent unless they are with their children 24/7?

Posted by: Scott Rose | Mar 27, 2013 11:11:11 AM

8. Rick, there is no reason for successful women to be tied to their children 24-7 when a good nanny can be found to do the job, which is what it is. A substantial prescence on a semi-regular basis is all that is needed to establish the emotional bond between parent and child. Upper class families have been doing this for centuries, especially in the father role.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 27, 2013 11:12:54 AM

9. @jtramon - it doesnt matter how many people know --- you aint gay until you call People magazine

Posted by: Homo Genius | Mar 27, 2013 11:13:07 AM

10. Dear Rick,
    "Were"
    Kisses,
    Me

Posted by: chaszle | Mar 27, 2013 11:16:18 AM

11. Jenna I guess this was your time to come out. I don't think so. As any educated woman knows your personal business should be just that ... personal. Is the today show jumping on a bandwagon because it is now supposed to be acceptable about her lifestyle. 'Me and my partner'.... the medical reports have come out in Jenna's favor. Think about the consequences when that child enters school. I guess he/she will be home-schooled huh?

Posted by: ephcoley | Mar 27, 2013 11:18:31 AM

12. Very happy for them both.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 27, 2013 11:28:55 AM

13. @UFFDA It is no accident that the welfare of American children, their health, their educational achievemenht levels, their ethics.......have all demonstrably worsened since feminism became accepted and women decided it was perfectly acceptable to abandon their children to focus on their own selfish interests.

You would have to deliberately deceive yourself not to see that there is a direct empirical correlation between the two.

And this has everything to do with American decline--in economic competitiveness and in cultural mores.

The bright side of it, though, is that it has removed the very last reason any man has for connecting himself to any woman, emotionally, socially, or otherwise. If they are not going to be proper mothers to his children, why on earth would any man want a relationship with any of them, since such relationships are almost always a pain in the rear for the man, who finds himself chained to someone who doesn't understand him--and is indeed incapable of it?

And I think more and more men are realizing that, which is why marriage rates are plummeting.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 27, 2013 11:30:44 AM

14. Correlation does not imply causation. That's the most elementary lesson in statistics.

Posted by: Joel | Mar 27, 2013 11:46:23 AM

15. Congratulations!

Posted by: Hugh | Mar 27, 2013 12:24:16 PM

16. Thanks so much for posting this! I had "Today" on this morning, but was running around getting ready for a business trip and didn't quite hear the whole announcement. When I saw the "People" picture, I thought, "wait, is she a lesbian"? Then it was "wait, is Today handling this in a low-key way"?

I think that is the best part of the story, that this was just another filler piece at the end of an hour, a casual coming out of a familiar correspondent. That is the true measure of how far we've come.

Oh, and Rick, honey, my mother worked full-time my entire childhood - in the 70s mind you - and you're totally right that she only did it for her "own selfish interests." Those interests included ensuring we had a house to live in, food to eat and clothes to wear. Somehow my sister and I both managed to graduate from college - I even got elected to Phi Beta Kappa and earned a Master's degree.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Mar 27, 2013 12:42:52 PM

17. Couldn't help but feel that "TODAY" trotted this out 'baby news/lesbian news" at a time when both topics support them. Everyone loves following an expecting woman, especially the morning crowd. As for the lesbian angle, I hear something big is going on in Washington, D.C. this week. Hmmmmm......

Congratulations to TV people and their public announcements in the press on their respective shows that need ratings. It's the American way.

Posted by: Bart | Mar 27, 2013 1:26:02 PM

18. "...juggling a thousand balls at once."

And that, Jimmy, is where babies come from.

Posted by: DeeVee | Mar 27, 2013 2:17:32 PM

19. Congratulations Jenna and Stephanie!

Posted by: andrew | Mar 27, 2013 3:14:14 PM

20. Did they discuss who the father is?

I think it is the Coop!!!

Posted by: Curious | Mar 27, 2013 5:29:13 PM

21. @Bart - did Today trot it out or did Jenna just feel comfortable now (plus - you can't hide a pregnancy)?

@Joel - kudos.

Posted by: Alan | Mar 27, 2013 5:47:57 PM

22. Hope the baby girl has a great relationship with her father. Father-daughter bond is very important.

Posted by: Clarity | Mar 27, 2013 6:09:38 PM

23. If we were all gay we would eventually not exist nor would any other of gods creatures. It takes god, a man and a women to sustain life. This is a sexual thing and something in the brain not quite right.

Posted by: DJB | Mar 27, 2013 8:43:29 PM

24. Congrats Jenna and Stephanie!
    (DJB--7 billion people on the planet, so no worries about population. Also, gay couples are having children--see above article.)

Posted by: Bonnie | Mar 27, 2013 10:05:09 PM

25. Rick, I never see your comments as notably negative, as so many others seem to do. I think they are interesting and I consider them. However, I just don't seem to feel alarmed by where the culture is going, as you describe it, and I do know that many men truly love their wives and daughters, maybe most who have them. Likewise the bond between men can be the most important relationship many men, married men, have. Your generalities just don't strike a tone of important truth for me but your dismissive if not contemptuous phrases in past posts: "culture of effeminancy" and "gender nonconformity" are pricelessly spot on for certain kinds of arguments. Keep it up, I enjoy you.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 28, 2013 3:06:49 AM