News | Zimbabwe

Zimbabwean Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai Denounces Homosexuality

Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, who said in October 2011 that he wanted gays protected in a new constitution, is apparently not feeling that way anymore:

TsvangiraiPrime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai made a sudden U-turn and denounced homosexuality during a meeting in Harare last night. Addressing MDC-T supporters at Glen View New Hall, Prime Minister Tsvangirai denounced homosexuality and said marriages should be between a man and a woman.

“In the draft Constitution, we said marriage is between a man and a woman and those who want to marry another from the same sex, then they have a problem. Why do you want to sleep with another man?”

Here's what Tsvangirai said in 2011:

"It's a very controversial subject in my part of the world. My attitude is that I hope the constitution will come out with freedom of sexual orientation, for as long as it does not interfere with anybody."

Tsvanfirai received backlash for his remarks, but later stood his ground, saying he refused to throw stones:

“I want to put finality and closure to an issue that has been misinterpreted, the issue of the so-called gay rights. My beliefs on this issue are a matter of public record. My beliefs manifest themselves in my practice. I am a Christian associated with the Methodist church. I am a father. I am a grandfather. I am a family man. I am a Zimbabwean and I know the strong feelings of Zimbabweans about this issue. I have those strong feelings too but in the end, Zimbabweans are making their own Constitution and it is that Constitution which will bind every Zimbabwean. What I refuse to do as a loyal son of God and as a social democrat is to persecute, to judge, to condemn and to vilify people for their own opinions because judgment is a preserve of God the Almighty. The Book of Luke Chapter 6 verse 37: “Do not judge and you will not be judged, do not condemn and you will not be condemned. The Book of John Chapter 8 verse 7: “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone… So while I may differ with them, as a Christian and as a social democrat, I refuse to throw a stone at them."

Comments

1. And yet he's leagues ahead of where you will ever get in life OLIVER.

Posted by: Marc C | Mar 8, 2013 1:43:36 PM

2. @MARC C, little do you know.

Posted by: oliver | Mar 8, 2013 1:47:43 PM

3. "Why do you want to sleep with another man?”

ummmmmmmmm, why do you want to sleep with a woman?

It can't be just to make babies, you're too old and ugly for that.

Posted by: marc | Mar 8, 2013 2:06:08 PM

4. Any time an ignorant opportunistic politician adds "God" or "Christianity" into the mix, one or more groups are bound to get f*cked. This story is a perfect example, especially in a backward country like Zimbabwe where God's children apparently don't include members of the GLBT community. And are we surprised? I think not.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Mar 8, 2013 2:09:45 PM

5. @Towleroad (aka Andy)...if you are going to cherry-pick comments to delete - and delete one of mine, then please delete ALL of mine, since the remaining comments don't make any sense out of context.

Nothing good can ever come of a blog that deletes comments that they (aka The Owners) don't like.

So much for Free Speech!

Posted by: oliver | Mar 8, 2013 2:16:42 PM

6. Give him a couple months, he'll be calling for death to gays. The so-called "christians" are just cracking him, he'll be a full on "Lively christian" in no time.

Posted by: Craig | Mar 8, 2013 2:17:26 PM

7. And why do I feel this corner of the world will also give us the next Pope...?

Posted by: 99% | Mar 8, 2013 2:17:29 PM

8. This guy is just trying to deflect attention away from the fact this his country is literally hell on earth. They are living in the absolute STONE AGE there, and their country is in financial ruin.

Also - Oliver - I'm not sure what your comments were, but I hear you. My comments on here are oftentimes deleted. Free speech does not reign on this blog.

Posted by: sean | Mar 8, 2013 2:21:25 PM

9. He was corrupted. Pretty simple. Wouldn't be surprised if he was paid off, potentially threatened. At this point I'm hopeful LGBTQ Africans can find either safe places in their country or a way to flea their countries and find citizenship elsewhere.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 8, 2013 2:22:42 PM

10. Hey, when YOU start a blog you can post all the racist comments you like. The right to Free Speech refers to the GOVERNMENT not being able to censor you, not anything else. Don't believe me? Go into your job and call and call your boss a fat stupid bast*rd. You can scream about your Free Speech rights on your way out the door.

Think this gay is a bigoted @sshole? So do I. But you hardly make yourself better by describing him in racist terms.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 8, 2013 2:34:16 PM

11. Zimbabwe - another country I do not plan to visit. Adding it to the whole of western sub-Saharan Africa. Botswana and Namibia remain on the list.

Posted by: John M. | Mar 8, 2013 2:42:14 PM

12. Stop with the freedom of speech BS. It's andy's blog, he can edit the comments anyway he sees fit. Get your own blog if you don't like it.

Posted by: Not that Rob | Mar 8, 2013 2:44:27 PM

13. thank you, Caliban.

at some point folks need to actually read the first amendment and understand it.

or take their racism over to GayPatriot.net, which (ironically) only deletes comments and blocks commenters who post factual statements, citations and evidence that negate gay right-wing talking points. for real. hate liberals and blacks! gaypatriot.net is for you! made a point about Obama doing more for the LGBT Community than Romney? gurl, you gonna be deleted and banned

:D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 8, 2013 2:44:59 PM

14. That's alright, I believe in slavery 'cause the bible tells me so.

Posted by: mamba | Mar 8, 2013 2:49:25 PM

15. I agree, Francis. Corruption. This is very disappointing. I thought Tsvangirai would bring a new day to Zimbabwe once Robert Mugabe went to his final resting place in hell. Oh, well, maybe he'll have another turnaround--especially if foreign aid is used to turn him around.

And I also thank you, Caliban.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 8, 2013 2:55:16 PM

16. @Sean, Yeah it's apparent that as Andy is getting older (and wider) he's becoming just like his buddy (Chip Arndt) - it's always their way or the highway.
    Oh well, I've had enough....

Posted by: oliver | Mar 8, 2013 2:56:31 PM

17. Yet another politician pandering to the evangelical proselytized mob....keep calling on god, you have no concept of a fair society based on equality before the law.

The really big problem is the spread of Protestant Evangelism in Africa.....sure some Catholic evangelism, but for the most part assorted Protestant denominations.
    They bring their poisonous bigotry everywhere they go, they have no grasp of civil rights and have some mad notion of "a higher law".......
    Protestant evangelism brings with it a closed mind determined by some belief in the supernatural, either gods or ghosts......both scare the bejesus out of Africans !What they do not bring is any concept of human dignity and love...they hate love.

-where are Ghostbusters when you need them ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 8, 2013 2:58:52 PM

18. I guess as I've tried to move away from all the hateful racist stuff I didn't realize that Andy has actually started to delete some of this disgusting crap that Oliver and his fellow racists like to throw out there. I for one am thrilled that he's starting to take some responsibility for what gets posted on his site. It still seems pretty haphazard as the comments sections are littered with some really vile stuff, but hey, it's a start.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 8, 2013 3:05:32 PM

19. Some of you guys are doing a lot of naval gazing.
    I don't think being deleted is an issue here.
    I remember last year some comments were deleted about Ken Melman, but that may have been because his home address was posted, inadvertently, in relation to some fund raising event. The whole piece was deleted with all posts.
    Otherwise I have never been deleted.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 8, 2013 3:08:26 PM

20. Another day of black people who dont like teh gays. Not exactly shocking.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 8, 2013 3:15:56 PM

21. MAMBA,

Mr Tsvangirai's family may have owned slaves. Zimbabweans weren't that poor during the years of the slave trade. Other African nations bore the brunt of that traffic.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 8, 2013 3:19:26 PM

22. Don't let the door hit you on the way out OLIVER. Of course you could also just apologize and admit that you were wrong for making such an asinine comment, but then you could NEVER do that could you?

Posted by: Marc C | Mar 8, 2013 3:53:11 PM

23. Andy, thank you for your attention to that vile post.

Posted by: Marc C | Mar 8, 2013 3:54:58 PM

24. Although he comes across as very ignorant, the statements he made now and back then aren't contradictory. Just because he doesn't want gays to marry and doesn't understand why people are gay, doesn't mean he doesn't think they should be protected from violence and discrimination of other forms.
    I think we have to remember that the views on sexuality of most of these African nations are hundreds of years behind ours, so even the more progressive ones are going to sound somewhat conservative by our standards.

Posted by: danswon | Mar 8, 2013 5:23:36 PM

25. Yikes !
    I meant "navel-gazing".

But maybe some of the other as well !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 8, 2013 7:42:15 PM