Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anti-Gay 'God's Marriage Bow' Campaign Rips Off Pro-Equality 'White Knot' Campaign

Whitebow

The Salt & Light Council, a ministry with ties to NOM's Ruth Institute is ripping off the pro-equality non-profit White Knot campaign with a "God's Marriage Bow" campaign instructing followers to wear a white bow until marriage is decided in June. Their website also gives visitors a list of anti-gay marriage talking points.

White Knot organizers tell Towleroad they're sending a 'cease and desist' letter to the organization.

Whiteknot

Comments

1. God's Marriage Bow looks like it would make great toilet paper! Is it 2-ply?

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 11, 2013 2:17:05 PM

2. Why would they send a cease and desist letter to them? A white bow is not some copyrighted piece of property. Let them have their little gathering of white bows. People might just think it still means in favor of gay marriage. I think it will help our cause.

Posted by: Richard Harney | Apr 11, 2013 2:18:05 PM

3. Uh huh. The moment these hypocrites ban divorce, I'll pay some attention. How many of these people have been divorced? One man, One woman. No more, no less!

Posted by: MarkRocks | Apr 11, 2013 2:18:12 PM

4. God must be into "God's Marriage Bows" I guess.
    I just can't see god wearing a bow with all that brimstone and sacrificial lambs knocking about.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 11, 2013 2:19:16 PM

5. What a bunch of happy bigots. How embarrassing.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Apr 11, 2013 2:30:48 PM

6. This really gets me steamed. I know and love the White Knot folks, and this is just disgusting. I realize a piece of white fabric tied in a knot may not be copyrightable (then again, I don't know that it's not - or, ya know, knot). Anyway, I'm glad they sent the cease and desist letter. These anti-equality bigots know no shame.

Posted by: Zlick | Apr 11, 2013 2:41:20 PM

7. is this an anti-gay campaign or a campaign to ban straight Atheists from marrying?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 11, 2013 2:42:04 PM

8. The despicable Susan Komen Foundation copyrighted the use of the colour pink for breast cancer and their organization, I'm sure other organizations can too.

Posted by: unruly | Apr 11, 2013 2:45:08 PM

9. This is not surprising on many levels. The Christian community is forever ripping off various ad campaigns for their propaganda. "Got Milk?" became "Got Jesus?" (like you can pick him up at the grocery). Gold's Gym became "God's Gym" on t-shirts until the real one threatened a lawsuit. I could go on. There's not an original thought in the crowd. I'm glad to hear the White Knot folks are sending them a cease and desist.

Posted by: Jimcracky | Apr 11, 2013 2:45:58 PM

10. Did you ever notice how whenever one of these anti-gay campaigns comes about, their "symbols" almost ALWAYS look the same as the pro-equality symbols. We saw a similar situation recently with the red equals sign. It's like they are trying to blend in with the side that is clearly on the right side of history. For a group so loud and proud of their bigotry, you would think they would choose a symbol that was so completely unique that it would stand right out in a lineup.

Posted by: shaun | Apr 11, 2013 2:49:58 PM

11. Seriously, two months before the Supreme Court rules DOMA unconstitutional and this is the BEST they can come up with? A white bow? Talk about Surrender, Dorothy. LOL.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Apr 11, 2013 3:12:38 PM

12. Their god is so weak.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 11, 2013 3:58:36 PM

13. We can't have it both ways. How quick we forget that the Prop 8 trail tracker people on our side, basically copied the logo of the yes on 8 group, but altered the guy to make it look like a woman. Remember that?

Posted by: Edd | Apr 11, 2013 6:30:32 PM

14. Yes, but that was parody. Parody is fair use under copyright law.

Posted by: Zlick | Apr 11, 2013 7:34:18 PM

15. Just shows once again they've never had an original thought.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Apr 11, 2013 9:31:55 PM

16. "God's Marriage Bow"?

I had no idea "god" was quite so sappy and twee. In fact I don't remember much about marriage in the Bible at all. Maybe I was distracted by all the smiting and stoning and missed it?

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 11, 2013 9:45:50 PM

17. Great way to. combat the queers: Put a bow on it!

Posted by: Miguel R. | Apr 11, 2013 11:44:08 PM

18. Their only argument is "Won't somebody please think of the children"

Posted by: Elwoodl | Apr 11, 2013 11:51:51 PM

19. Get white knots. Make white knots. Donate. Oh right. Donate ...

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Apr 12, 2013 8:16:45 PM