BigGayDeal.com

'Bridegroom', the Documentary Inspired by One Gay Couple's Love Cut Short: TRAILER PREMIERE

Shane

Many of you are familiar with the devastating video "It Could Happen to You" made by Shane Bitney Crone in response to the accidental death of his boyfriend Tom Bridegroom. The video, which chronicled what happened to Shane after Tom's sudden death has been viewed more than 3.5 million times.

2_bridegroomAfter the video went viral, a producing team led by director Linda Bloodworth Thomason sought funds on Kickstarter for a documentary about Tom's story, a Kickstarter which broke records for the fundraising start-up.

“The prejudice and bigotry that Shane and Tom experienced was not unlike what I witnessed in 1986 when my mother died of transfused AIDS," said Bloodworth Thomason.

Now, Bloodworth Thomason has completed the film and it's set to premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on Tuesday, April 23 where it will have four screenings.

Towleroad is now bringing you the premiere of the trailer for Bridegroom.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bridegroom tells the emotional journey of Shane Bitney Crone and Tom Bridegroom, two young men in a loving and committed relationship that was cut tragically short by a misstep off the side of a roof. The story of what happened after this accidental death – of how people without the legal protections of marriage can find themselves completely shut out and ostracized - is poignant, enraging and opens a window onto the issue of marriage equality like no speech or lecture ever will.

Said Bitney Crone to Towleroad:

"Tom and I were not perfect, but we were perfect for each other. Our love was undeniable, and when I lost him, I lost a large part of myself. No matter how hard Tom's family tries; they can never erase the love that Tom and I had for each other, and the life that we started together. If Tom and I were legally married, I would never have been so easily disregarded, and knowing that Tom would have wanted his family to embrace me, makes me more determined to fight for this cause. I will never be able to hold Tom again, or tell him that I love him, but this movie may convince many opponents to reconsider their stance on marriage equality, not for me or for Tom, but for love."

Watch the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's the trailer:

Here's Shane Bitney-Crone's heartbreaking video which inspired the production:

Comments

1. Gotta watch it. Erm .. isnt Tribeca spelled with a B?

Posted by: Marc | Apr 4, 2013 1:06:40 PM

2. It's so very sad that this could ever happen, and a bit dispiriting knowing that the people who need to see this documentary probably won't. I am somewhat relieved that I live in Canada where same sex marriage is legal, and confident that in the near future our American brothers and sisters will be able to marry the person they love too.

Posted by: (the other)jamesintoronto | Apr 4, 2013 1:07:05 PM

3. Very sad. I hope someday Shane finds a new love.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 4, 2013 1:17:02 PM

4. Is it wrong to wish that someone would beat the shet out of Tom's parents? Seriously, at what point do these religious idiots not realize that the choice is between someone who actually exists and whom you love and a goddamned MYTH. A mythological figure whose story (the Bible) is full of vengeance, murder, shame, and all manner of ungodly behaviors. Why can't these people figure this out?

Posted by: Hagatha | Apr 4, 2013 1:18:09 PM

5. What an incredible man to take something so horrific/devestating and not only grow from it but help others grow emotionally in the process! Bravo.
    May he find another love just as deserving and may Bridegrooms family learn someday that love isn't just something you read in an old book.

Posted by: SFshawn | Apr 4, 2013 1:19:22 PM

6. the heart aches.

here's hoping this doc opens up eyes and hearts.

and that the family whose bigotry caused all this pain finally realizes the magnitude of their failings.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 4, 2013 1:26:01 PM

7. wow cool site

Posted by: akhaddd | Apr 4, 2013 1:27:48 PM

8. wow cool site

Posted by: akhaddd | Apr 4, 2013 1:27:50 PM

9. If you think Raymond`s story is unbelievable,, 5 weaks-ago my sisters mother in-law basically got a cheque for $7401 working eighteen hours a week an their house and there best friend's half-sister`s neighbour did this for 7-months and recieved a check for more than $7401 part-time at their pc. follow the information at this website...Snap11COM

Posted by: akhaddd | Apr 4, 2013 1:29:58 PM

10. Tom's parents committed murder, plain and simple. They are MURDERERS. That's kind of a sin mentioned in the "bible", isn't it?
    Once again proves the deep pit of hate starts with religious "instruction" and foments and festers until something like this happens...then they blow and they hide from their mudererous ways behind...yep, once again the "bible" which gives them a
    "pass" on whatever they want to do.
    Shame upon you both. Eternal shame upon you both. Painful unending shame.

Posted by: thom | Apr 4, 2013 1:36:16 PM

11. Sad.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 4, 2013 1:58:25 PM

12. They lived in California. Should have protected their relationship more proactively registering as domestic partners at minimum. This horrible tragedy points to the need for gay male couples to protect themselves, their children, and assets.

Posted by: RK | Apr 4, 2013 2:01:11 PM

13. Documentary will be painful, but I love that it's getting made. I get the impression that they weren't the world's perfect couple, but that should NOT matter to the government.

Posted by: Robert | Apr 4, 2013 2:03:23 PM

14. @RK: domestic partnership would not have provided many protections for Tom & Shane--certainly not as many as provided by marriage.

@Robert: Why on earth would you come onto this site and post that you "get the impression that they weren't the world's perfect couple"?! What purpose does it serve?!

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 4, 2013 2:15:30 PM

15. I remember watching the video shane made. That video alone was heart wrenching. It also had to take alot of courage and strength for him to create it. I am happy he did. I am from Canada, but this past Christmas myself and my partner (same sex) got married in NYC. Eventally the USA will move with the times and be more open to same sex marriages. Unfortunately for Tom and Shane this did not happen soon enough. So many things could have been different if same sex marriage was legal when this all happened. I realize Toms death would still have happened, but the horrible situation which presented itself would not. It makes me sick to my stomach how Toms parents were. It was fine to not accept Tom and Shanes relationship but to refuse access to his funeral is just sickening. They are sick individuals who deserve nothing but misery for the remainder of theyre lives. They are hateful people. I wish no good for them.

Posted by: trevor | Apr 4, 2013 2:41:26 PM

16. I think it is a powerful story and I hope it will be a great movie.

However, this trailer is really, really awful. The story is laid out in flat, didactic text. The music is intrusive and doesn't set any consistent mood for the film. It veers from peppy to scary, and both music sets are cliched. Finally, the off-camera voices are made less potent because we can't see the people talking and because the quotes are crowded in so they almost talk over one another, even while more didactic text flashes on screen. There are other annoying lapses, like having a reference to their trip to Peru synced with a picture of Brazil.

This fail of a trailer follows a "sneak peek" trailer which was not a sneak peek at all, but rather a collage of wedding scenes that presumably don't have anything to do with the movie, set to Macklemore's "Same Love."

I sincerely hope the actual film - which was funded with a lot of Kickstarter donations - is better than this first trailer and the faux sneak peek. To the folks on this project: go to the bank, withdraw a few grand, and hire a marketer who can create 1 or 2 proper trailers to do this film justice.

Posted by: David Weinstein | Apr 4, 2013 2:43:39 PM

17. I so agree with peterparker ... @Robert WTH? What on earth does being a perfect couple have to do with anything? That's like saying "well, he wasn't a perfect person, but that shouldn't matter..."

Seriously, here's a story about bigotry AND (I'll say it) one of the ultimate "get back at you fa---t" I've seen.
    Heartbreaking, horrifying - and yet, the scary part to me? The parents are going to manage to play the victim card to as many outlets as will let them ...
    Hopefully, this documentary will keep that down to a minimum ....

Posted by: wds | Apr 4, 2013 2:44:24 PM

18. We want that civil marriage license, and we want it Right Now. No More Excuses.

Posted by: Christophe | Apr 4, 2013 3:47:12 PM

19. The story is tragic, beautiful, and transforming, as is Shane's homemade video. The film, we hope, will live up to the challenge.

But . . .

the official trailer is unbearable (as perfectly outlined by David Weinstein above). PLEASE FIX IT, because this story needs to be widely told.

Posted by: Ned Flaherty | Apr 4, 2013 3:57:57 PM

20. I agree that we need marriage equality and DOMA needs to be repealed, but it is sad that people do not make legal provisions that ARE available. Every gay couple should have a will, durable power of attorney for health care and finances and possibly a trust. My late partner and I did and it made life much easier for me when he died.

I am now legally married to my new partner (although we reside in a state that does not recognize it) and we have the same protections. I do not suggest that this is an acceptable alternative to recognition of our marriage, but I know of too many gay and lesbian couples who did not do this and went through hell when one partner died.

Posted by: Voet | Apr 4, 2013 5:12:15 PM

21. Couldn't so much have been altered by a will (this is what I want when I'm dead) and an advanced directive (this is who I want deciding things)? It's not gay marriage or nothing. What about gays who die alone. I have both. Since I was 21.

Posted by: MIke | Apr 4, 2013 6:25:52 PM

22. TO THE PEOPLE BEATING THEM UP FOR LACK OF A WILL....
    A-- they were young
    B-- they were obviously not from the type of families that guided them to be legally aware.
    C-- REALLY???????????

Posted by: Bob | Apr 4, 2013 9:53:38 PM

23. Despite the fact that they didn't have a power of attorney, wills, or any form of legal representation; doesn't make the story any less important. The message is to spread awareness of what happened, and how things in the USA need to change. Look for the meaning behind it, not what they could have done differently.

Posted by: Jared | Apr 4, 2013 10:04:04 PM

24. "Beating them up" REALLY??????????????
    I just think it's a bit disingenuous to imply to any single person (straight OR gay) that their personhood begins and ends with whether they're married or not.

Posted by: MIke | Apr 4, 2013 10:20:25 PM

25. @ Mike: It's not a matter of anyone's personhood depending on actually BEING married (or on actually voting or on driving a car or on sitting at the front of the bus), but of our personhood in the government's eyes being expressed by whether we are PERMITTED to marry if we choose to (or to vote or to drive a car or to sit at the front of the bus).
    When a governmnent says "no gay couples get a marriage license" (or no Saudi women can vote or drive a car or no blacks in Alabama may sit at the front) they are denying acknowledgement of basic personhood to whatever group they are denying the CHOICE to do what any other citizen is free to do.

Posted by: GregV | Apr 4, 2013 10:59:18 PM