Stephen Colbert and Alan Cumming Respond to ‘Accidental Racist’ with ‘Oopsie-Daisy Homophobe': VIDEO

And here's Cumming's interview about his new Broadway show 'Macbeth':

Comments

1. David Hearne says

Brad Paisley is extremely talented. In a world full of rappers and American idol screamers and warblers, he actually writes intricate music and is one of the best guitar players out there.

Of the course, the funny thing is that he isn’t actually southern or country western. He’s from Ohio and his musical influences are hillbilly. But he tried to do a good thing with this stupid song and all he’s gotten is crap for it.

Think about that the next time someone says he doesn’t give a crap what you feel.

2. Thomas says

@David–Are those some of his intricate lyrics? He cares so much about racism that he lets being a Skynyrd fan trump his knowledge that the Confederate Flag is a symbol loaded with racism? If that’s accidental then I guess so is drinking a pint of whiskey and crashing into someone.

3. says

Oh, jeez, Dave…again, I’m gonna have to take your side…

Mainly because I never knew Brad was from Ohio (and I guess ya always have a soft spot for people from your own area, as long as they’re not *too* reprehensible =P )

I’m not planning to hear the song (I’ve moved off country music in the past 10 years) , but I looked at the lyrics and, hey, at least it was a *try*… >_<

4. David Hearne says

Thomas – I acknowledged that Accidental Racist was an inept attempt, my point was that it was at least an attempt. I realize the Grammy would be reserved for some noble poet who writes of “nwords and hoes” and that’s almost as edgy as sagging asspants now in their thirtieth year of “fashion”.

When I see a guy (and it’s always a guy) weaing a Lynard Skynard t-shirt, “racist” is far from my first thought. I actually think about him much the same way that I think about the guy in sagging asspants, or with gold teef. Tiresome. Dated. Working way too hard to fit into a group.

Your declaration on the Confederate Flag is irrelevant. It’s an icon of regional identity as much as anything else. The Ku Klux Klan (all ten of them) use the American flag more than any other. The Nation of Islam has some sort of icon for their racism. Who the hell knows what those Arabic t-shirts say? Squiggle dot dot, destroy Israel? It’s called free speech.

Free speech, the right to keep and bear arms, the right to be free of unreasonable search and seizure, the right to keep your mouth shut, the right to freedom of association. The right of this nation to be sovereign and secure. You either believe in these things or you don’t.

I am a member of the NRA and the ACLU- the two largest and oldest civil rights groups in the nation. What are you for?

5. Matthew says

If you’re trying to equate a silly fashion trend with the symbol of slavery, you’re part of the problem.

6. Derrick from Philly says

@ “David Hearne: I’m sure you’ve always only worn conservative, classic clothing and accessories, and you’re a credit to your race.”

Actually, Matthew, David only started wearing men’s clothing at the turn of the century (when he turned age 60). That’s why he sometimes refers to himself as Hagatha. He never never was a pretty queen…gave a sort of Margaret Hamilton effect.

7. JJ says

@David, free speech isn’t freedom from criticism. The confederate flag was invented to extol a brutally racist way of life, and it has never meant anything else. When people wave the confederate flag, it’s to keep that spirit alive. The spirit of the *Old* South–not some idyllic dream of racial reconciliation and harmony and equality that could be–but the hateful, ignorant, racist pride of that bygone era. When Brad Paisley says he wants to wear his confederate flag AND still have racial harmony, what that means is he wants to openly mourn the loss of white supremacy AND not get any flack about it. That’s not harmony. People who genuinely want to heal that divide don’t pine for the days of the Old South, they don’t raise their children to keep that era alive, and they don’t sing songs about how people who take pride in the Old South are victims too.

8. Rrhain says

@David Hearne:

The US flag was not created specifically for the KKK. It was not created to be a symbol supporting racism. It is not the symbol of a defeated nation who fought specifically and deliberately to enshrine the institution of slavery.

The Confederate flag, on the other hand, was and is all of those things.

That doesn’t mean the US is without sin. The actions of the US have put associations with its flag that might have people thinking the same thing, but there is a difference between a symbol that is appropriated for other uses and a symbol that was deliberately created for that use.

And your pathetic whine about “free speech” means you don’t understand the concept. Your right to speak does not come with a right to be free from consequences. If you don’t like the flak you receive from making your speech, then perhaps you need to rethink where you are making it because just as you have a right to speak your mind, everybody else has a right to speak theirs in response.

And while the NRA may have been a civil rights organization at one time, it is the furthest thing from it. Take a look at the national headquarters: They think the Second Amendment starts with an ellipsis.

9. David says

I think that you guys should look up the lyrics to his “I’m Still A Guy”.

Saw him in concert once — the performance of this song made me very uncomfortable.

10. JJ says

Re: “I’m Still A Guy.” Hilarious, @David. The fact that a man who spends hours upon hours rehearsing to make his music as pretty as possible would sing a song like that is so deliciously ironic. And oh, the picture of all those manly men who hear that song on the radio and identify by *singing along.* What a hoot! :-)

11. says

I remember that song, as well, and yeah, it did kinda get up under my nose for a *while*…

Until I realized that it was a song that, in our current cycle of consciousness, would only last on the radio stations for a few months, then end up relegated to the end of his CDs ^_^

12. David Hearne says

Rrhain – The Flag of the United States flew over slavery for nearly 90 years. The CSA only existed for four of those years. Slavery was still legal in the Union for the duration of the War Between The States. Which flag stands for slavery?

ps – slavery remained legal in Cuba and Brazil until the late 1880’s but I don’t hear a bunch of liberal turds and puffed up Afflicted Americans getting upset by Cuban or Brazilian flags.

13. Matthew says

Slavery is the raison d’etre of the Confederacy. This is not true of the United States, Cuba, Brazil, or any other nation you might care to list. To celebrate and honor the Confederacy is to celebrate and honor the oppression of peoples of African descent.

For all but four years, the Stars and Stripes have flown over the South. Why celebrate those particular four years, to the exclusion of the other 232 years? What is special about those four years?

14. says

This is in *NO WAY* advocating for Dave’s position, but like I was telling my bf earlier tonight when we discussed this: should this mean we shouldn’t fly the original 13-star flag (or some other flag that was around when slavery/indentured servitude was part of our nation)?

This whole argument just seems a little petty, and this is coming from a cynical libtard :)

15. Icebloo says

I met Alan Cumming last year in a gay bar called The Round Up in Dallas. He was there with his friends on a night out.

ALL night people were interrupting him asking for photographs and autographs and this went on the WHOLE time he was there. He was SO nice to everyone. He didn’t get annoyed once. I had always heard he was a genuinely nice guy and from what I saw of him that night it’s true. I wish more famous people were like him. He is a gem.

16. Icebloo says

17. says

Ya really gonna make me think this late at night, Matt? I was trying to use an argumentum ad absurdum to make a point…guess it makes sense in *my* mind, at least ^_^

18. JJ says

@Cody, when this nation was founded, slavery had been in practice for more than 150 years, and you’re right, the Constitution did not end that overnight. However, with that Constitution, the founders set the nation on an inevitable march toward liberty and equality, and the Star Spangled Banner was conceived to embody those ideals. It was no accident, then, that *before the founders died,* the people who would end slavery had already been born. The thirteen stars and stripes in a very material way heralded the end of slavery. If you want to draw an analogy between that flag and the blood orange turd that was excreted by the cesspit of moral decay know as the Confederacy, you’re going to have a very tough go of it.

19. DC Arnold says

I tried to listen to Paisley/Cool J tripe until the Mr. White Man couplet(did LL have to be the Tom character)? had me reaching for the off button. Martin would not be proud. Sets us all back.

20. says

I never said that my mind works in straight lines (ha! Probably an understatement!) :) It sometimes gets me in quite a bit of trouble, because in a convoluted sort of way, I can see links between things, but it’s tough for me to actually describe exactly *what* those connections are.