Bill Cunningham | Fashion Men | New York | News

Men's Fashion Revolution in Full Swing, Says NYT 'Man on the Street' Bill Cunningham: VIDEO

Cunningham

There's a men's fashion revolution underway from '30s styles to a revival of grunge and mouth grilles, says NYT man on the street Bill Cunningham:

"There's something in the air and it's all being reflected not in women's clothes but in men's clothes...It's very easy just to laugh and pass it off as 'oh this is just going along with gay marriage and all this, they can dress any way they want' but it's much more than that. Much more than that. The peacock is emerging. He's been a sparrow since mid-Victorian times."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Cunningham2

Comments

1. On a lighter note... neons are back.

Posted by: GB | Apr 1, 2013 7:15:00 PM

2. The hippies did it better and they did it 50 years ago. Today's fashion houses are so innovative...not.

Posted by: Adam | Apr 1, 2013 7:55:57 PM

3. It's not bad. Some are really nice. Like the tailored suits and 1930s style coming back with a contemporary twist. I like that. Interesting the "grunge" look coming back with a sense of flair added to it. Considering the look I went for back in the 90s was Thrift Store chic. Lol. Not so sure about the helmet and leggings look but whatev. I don't like the helmet. Idk what that's about.

Posted by: mickyflip | Apr 1, 2013 8:06:45 PM

4. Sorry, but most of those outfits look awful and wouldn't be worn by 98% of men even if they were free. I say that as a former model who has a ton of clothes and isn't exactly scared of them.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 1, 2013 8:42:45 PM

5. This same story written in the NYT every year?

Posted by: Billy | Apr 1, 2013 9:41:41 PM

6. Creativity with your clothes is cool. A lot of guys did some of it nicely in the late 60's (color, natural stuff, handmade crafty stuff) and then of course it all went in the toilet in the 70's.

There was a profile of a 40ish gay Met Museum guy in the New Yorker recently. I'm sure he does great work, but was described as wearing one of those too tight jackets and too short trousers with no socks. A horrible look. Why does an adult want to look like they just outgrew all their clothes? Aren't we supposed to grow up and stop following every stupid fad when we get out of high school?

Posted by: emjayay | Apr 1, 2013 9:43:50 PM

7. Late 60's clothes was a lot about expressing ideas about individual expression and using natural fabrics to go with your natural hair. Punk was about expressing a political and social stance. Seattle flannel grunge was about being natural and practical and easy going.

Some of this stuff is expressing something too: smashing sexism with the skirts, personal expression, a bit of hand done embroidery.

What is wearing fur trimmed clothes made from animals killed just for their fur for decoration about?

Posted by: emjayay | Apr 1, 2013 9:52:09 PM

8. I like the sweater on the right. The other two looks, especially the one on the left are garbage.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 1, 2013 9:53:49 PM

9. Love Bill Cunningham keeping track of things.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 1, 2013 10:41:38 PM

10. I see these models every year in their fashion shows and on runways and never see these "fashions" on the street being worn by real men and I live in the gayest and most progressive section of town.

Posted by: andrew | Apr 2, 2013 1:27:30 AM

11. Unwearable nonsense. A male fashion model is wasting his life if that's all he does.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 2, 2013 2:30:00 AM

12. What is the point behind paying designers millions of dollars to make clothes that 99% of people aren't rich and/or crazy enough to wear?

What's the point of paying someone thousands of dollars to wear them for a few minutes and walk down a runway?

Posted by: Firestorm | Apr 2, 2013 3:05:20 AM

13. @Firestorm: I guess the answer is that the 1% have all the money and more needed to dress and live like that. Thats one of the result of an under regulated capitalist economic system.

Posted by: andrew | Apr 2, 2013 5:04:50 AM

14. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Posted by: Mastik8 | Apr 2, 2013 6:59:59 AM

15. Well, Bill "everything old is new again". Looks to me like people with too much money and not enough taste.

Posted by: rebarb | Apr 2, 2013 9:07:05 AM

16. Jesus H. Christ, I just want to be comfortable first and foremost. And I actually have the body to wear 'fashionable' clothes. I know, how very American of me. Although I was born and raised in cosmopolitan urban environments, and live in one now, I could never get into the Euro habit of what I consider over dressing for the occasion. Some gay men, people raised in societies with a lot of poverty, and others also seem to disproportionately over-dress IMO. Sorry, I'm not even wearing skinny shoes with little to no outersole and support, let alone the get ups these models are in. Yes, the Eurotrash look has become an epidemic, at least in big city America, among males [especially young] of all sexual orientations, races, and socioeconomic backgrounds. I just take it all in, and marvel at how uncomfortable they all really look, and from personal experience probably are. And they'll regret their fashion footwear choices when they get a little older and their feet have become effed up, much the way many women who wear uncomfortable shoes suffer.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 2, 2013 9:23:53 AM

17. Guys, you sound like gun nuts. Nobody is going to take away your t-shirts and jeans.

Now for the non-troll world, crazy fashion inspires people to take control of their look. Design is a constant process, it is awesome to see the things that live in-between.

You guys don't have to be threatened by it's mere existence because it's yucky...

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 2, 2013 9:37:03 AM

18. @Fenrox,

Take control? Some would say it's more like a ball and chain.

As an aside, I've noticed my sexual attraction for guys goes up the more casual they dress and look. I can admire a 'well dressed' guy, but rarely do I find it sexually attractive. I wonder if I'm the only guy who thinks this way? Never really discussed it with anyone else. It's like even very good looking male models often don't sexually attract me. I see many admittedly really good looking in a classical sense guys and I have no sexual attraction. But I'll see a so-called average guy, or a guy with something a little off about him, ears too big, nose, really short, whatever, and it's to me sexually attractive.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 2, 2013 9:47:34 AM

19. Yikes! Vivid evidence that just because you CAN wear something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Apr 2, 2013 10:31:42 AM

20. Have we all forgotten the differences between fashion, style and trend?

Posted by: Jim | Apr 2, 2013 10:41:22 AM

21. So where's the revolution? Men's fashion will never change beyond the addition of certain colors or the cyclical return of some period cut to jackets or pants but eventually these return to traditional mode. My theory: as men mature they are less willing to compromise comfort over innovation or novelty unlike women who are more willing to endure discomfort for the sake of fashion.

Posted by: Homer | Apr 2, 2013 11:20:38 AM

22. @Rat, I loooooove those kinds of guys too, I love all guys though...

I'm not talking about control for the models/people, im talking control for you. You are affected by fashion, when it rankles you, you apply that knowledge to your fashion brain. "I don't ever want to look like ______" That is you taking control of your look.

So even if you hate it it has an impact on you. I also wonder who actually watched the video, bill very elegantly introduces his point. Mens fashion has become avant garde, and you can even see it in poor street kids who have fun with their look.

We don't have a Harajuku Square for fashion heads to publicly convene and celebrate each other. So it's awesome that these people are trying and having fun without a overarching theme or event.

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 2, 2013 11:20:52 AM

23. I don't find myself attracted to any "man" wearing such outfits.

Posted by: Gonzo | Apr 2, 2013 11:54:06 AM

24. Recently in a Soho (NYC) cafe I sat next to a male example of fashion roadkill. He was wearing some sort of pants made out of loosely knit black wool (or maybe cotton), with a lot of extra material bunched-up in his lap. It seemed to held together with buttons around his crotch. Other than that, I agree with Andrew wrote, about nobody on the street wearing these "fashions." And I too find any man over-dressed and over-stylized to be a major turn-off, no matter how fit and good-looking they are.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Apr 2, 2013 12:24:03 PM

25. Bill Cunningham is the only one (well, and Tim Blanks) that can intellectualize this mess.

Posted by: Sunny | Apr 2, 2013 12:37:53 PM