Dennis Guth | Focus on the Family | GLSEN | Iowa | Matt McCoy | News

Homophobic Iowa GOP Lawmaker Warns Gay People Pose Health Risk to Public Like Smoking: VIDEO

Guth

Republican Iowa State Senator Dennis Guth unleashed one of the most disgusting homophobic diatribes on the Senate floor yesterday, accusing the media of tricking the public into accepting gay relationships and claiming that they are a health risk to the general public.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

D_guthSaid Guth:

"The media, for the most part, has bamboozled us into thinking that having a relationship outside of the boundaries of monogamous, heterosexual marriage is positive, happy and fulfilling. Movies, television shows, articles and magazines abound with this theme, giving partial information to a vulnerable audience: our children."

He added:

“Just as there are multiple ways that your smoking hurts me, such as secondhand smoke, increased insurance costs, cost to society of days lost for poor health, so it is with same-sex relationships. There are health risks that my family incurs because of the increase in sexually transmitted infections that this lifestyle invites. For example there are more and more medical tests required before giving blood or giving birth.”

Guth said people should speak out against what they see as wrong:

Guth said his remarks were inspired by Focus on the Family's 'Day of Dialogue', a response to tomorrow's Day of Silence sponsored by GLSEN, in which students take a vow of silence to stand up against homophobia.

Guth cited the suicide of New York therapist Bob Bergeron in his remarks:

"Bob Bergeron was a happy-go-lucky homosexual therapist who at the peak of his career committed suicide this January. In a note found addressing homosexuality he said, 'it's a lie based on bad information.'"

MccoyOpenly gay State Senator Matt McCoy responded to Guth:

”I was frankly just a little bit taken aback by some of the things that I heard today, as I know some of my colleagues were as well... Much of what you heard today on the floor of the Senate is warmed-over rhetoric that has been invented by the Christian right, extreme groups. What I heard today was ignorant and I know where it came from, and I think that I am not gay by choice. I am not gay by choice, but I choose not to be ignorant.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Your thinking sounds like once again, it belongs in the 1800's Sen. Guth. I truly feel sorry for the person(s) within your family who are gay, because the odds are there is someone. Its shocking sir, how many people within your party think the same.

Posted by: Tom | Apr 18, 2013 10:17:17 AM

2. Ignorance is alive and well throughout the Rethuglican Party - whether it's voting NOT to do more background checks on potential gun owners or warning the general public that we "filty" queers are dangerous to their health. When, oh, when will be rid of these crazy hate-filled GOPers and their ability to make life a living hell for so many people in their "we don't like 'em" column???

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Apr 18, 2013 10:18:53 AM

3. Sorry, above I meant "filthy" queers.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Apr 18, 2013 10:31:39 AM

4. How exactly do these people get away with saying this in public? They could never get away with saying outright lies about other people/groups. Can't we, as a group, sue them for slander or something?

Posted by: MT | Apr 18, 2013 10:35:47 AM

5. "If I saw someone going the wrong way on a one-way street, I would make every effort to stop and redirect them."

K. Easy-peasy.

One way street = Equality
    Wrong direction on one way street = Anti gay Bigotry

Posted by: JONES | Apr 18, 2013 10:38:36 AM

6. these idiots ignore science (duh) and still think "the gay" is something you can catch which is why they also support conversion therapy.

And they only ever seem concerned about gay men...

Posted by: QJ201 | Apr 18, 2013 10:41:31 AM

7. Telling people that "they're going the wrong way" is something that The Westboro Baptist Church does as well. Creep.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 18, 2013 10:50:50 AM

8. Seriously, don't these "straight" men realize that every time they blather like this they expose themselves as closeted homosexuals?

Posted by: homer | Apr 18, 2013 10:51:16 AM

9. Sorry - looking at that pic of him with his hand on his hip...gay.

Posted by: sfjerry | Apr 18, 2013 11:08:33 AM

10. A Republican from Iowa - we shouldn't be surprised.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 18, 2013 11:11:09 AM

11. Like smoking! OMG, I just got second hand gay!

Posted by: Bubba | Apr 18, 2013 11:19:38 AM

12. i totally agree with the senator. Senator Guth is dead on with what he is saying. We need to get rid of all these homos and tell them to change. Make it illegal all the way throughout america!!!! LONG LIVE THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!!!

Posted by: getridoffags | Apr 18, 2013 11:21:31 AM

13. i totally agree with the senator. Senator Guth is dead on with what he is saying. We need to get rid of all these homos and tell them to change. Make it illegal all the way throughout america!!!! LONG LIVE THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!!!

Posted by: getridoffags | Apr 18, 2013 11:21:32 AM

14. What a nonsensical thing to say. It's amazing that people can say things like this without citing any sort of evidence (because there is none). I am also somewhat surprised that a senator from a state with marriage equality is spewing this nonsense...

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Apr 18, 2013 11:34:22 AM

15. I propose a new national response to all of these kinds of elected idiots- run a laugh track behind them when they do this. Put them on national TV and run a laugh track behind it.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 18, 2013 11:36:19 AM

16. Of course he invokes Bob Bergeron. Right-wingers love that story. But he got the quote wrong. Bob didn't say that homosexuality is a 'lie based on bad information.' He sad that with reference to the assertion that the best years of our life come after age 40.

And while I deeply disagree with what Bob wrote, the least Sen Guth could do is quote him accurately.

Posted by: Lars | Apr 18, 2013 11:37:32 AM

17. you know, i make slew of pointedly facetious comments yesterday about Americans being able to rest easy knowing that no children this will be killed in drive-by lesbian weddings, but then i see this idiot and i wanna slam my face into a wall.

let's see - you have epidemic levels of gun violence. but let's not do anything that would affect who can get access to guns.

no. let's worry about all the harm that's been happening from gays marrying. because there must be a wealth of evidence to show how it's killing america's children, right? that's why everyone's so scared and angry, right?

no? not at all? well, that's just great. congrats, GOP. keep digging.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2013 11:45:41 AM

18. When you make absurd comments such as, "There are health risks that my family incurs because of the increase in sexually transmitted infections that this lifestyle invites." then it does nothing but solidify the need for more commited married couples - yes, even the GAY ones. As far as any note someone is suicidal would leave behind, I would have to question their thought process at the time of writing.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Apr 18, 2013 11:50:14 AM

19. well that's the other hilarious part, Drlin.

"those gays are promiscuous! they have lots of sex! STOP them from getting married! because...yeah!"

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2013 11:51:32 AM

20. "I am not gay by choice, but I choose not to be ignorant." -- Senator Matt McCoy

Senator McCoy was far more measured and precise in his words than I would have been. He rebutted Guth with honesty and facts and in the process gave some much-needed dignity and support to gays not only in Iowa, but in the rest of the country as well.

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 18, 2013 12:09:41 PM

21. ...But that Bob Bergeron info was disturbing. I remember that story.

Posted by: nikko | Apr 18, 2013 12:47:41 PM

22. I don't think I have ever been more infuriated than I am right now, after watching this video.

How DARE that despicable cretin, Dennis Guth, use the late Bob Bergeron's untimely death to justify Guth's own bigotry and homophobia!

Taking a line from Mr. Bergeron's suicide note and using it, out of context, is about as low as I have ever seen a Republican go.

I tell you I am enraged by Guth's cheap shot, which demeans and slanders a good, decent and honorable man whose tragic suicide was completely unrelated to his being gay.

Guth had better hope that our paths never cross. I will have no qualms about taking a baseball bat and bashing that right-wing Republican reprobate's head into a bloody pulp.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 18, 2013 1:07:45 PM

23. The only people posing a health risk to the public are homophobic Republican with a poor understanding of science.

Gays aren't the ones telling people that you can't get pregnant from rape if it was "legitimate", nor do gays pretend that teens won't have intercourse if you tell them not to and fail to teach about birth control and STDs.

Posted by: Firestorm | Apr 18, 2013 1:48:10 PM

24. I would have been upset a year ago. But at this point, this one gets filed under the heading of 'so bizarre that it's just kind of entertaining.'

He states outright that he's repeating the positions espoused by FotF, which is basically like saying "I'm for what the loonies are for."

The more the wing-nuts make these sort of speeches in public forums, the more they relegate themselves to the fringe. They've already lost the battle. Now the rest of us are sitting back and letting them embarrass themselves. Please pass the popcorn.

Posted by: Jason Chenard | Apr 18, 2013 1:53:06 PM

25. Is there a due date on his coming out?

Posted by: lewlew | Apr 18, 2013 2:00:23 PM