Bill Donohue | Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anti-Gay Catholic Blowhard Bill Donohue: Marriage is 'Not About Love': VIDEO

Donohue

Catholic League President Bill Donohue talks to Current TV's Jon Fugelsang about marriage equality:

"This idea of two men getting married is the most bizarre idea in human history...Christians have an obligation, particularly Catholics to follow natural law. The whole purpose of marriage is to have a family. It's not about making people happy. It's not about love."

After Donohue cites Leviticus, Fugelsang asks if he follows it: "What do you mean follow Leviticus? Do I sleep with a man? No I don't. I never have. I have no interest in doing so."

Also on the table: Bill Maher and the priest sex abuse scandal.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via jmg)

Comments

1. parental responsibility should be like this: "if you raise a kid that grows up to be a RICK, congrats! you failed as a parent. you did every single thing wrong"

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 12, 2013 12:45:43 PM

2. Rick, I getting sick of your self righteous lectures.....isn't there a bridge for you to crawl under.....you racist troll ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 12, 2013 12:51:30 PM

3. "As someone who grew up with parents in a loveless hate-filled marriage I can assure you divorce can be a better option for children than staying married"

Hate-filled marriages are usually the consequence of one or both parties having the unrealistic expectation of permanent "romantic bliss" from the person they get married to.

Divorce rates in countries like Japan, where marriages are usually not based on "romantic love", are extremely low, in part because the marriage really is only about the practical matter of creating a family and raising children and not about thinking of one's spouse as a "soulmate" from whom emotional fulfillment is expected.

Japanese men are also typically NOT sexually monogamous, which is also a more natural arrangement, given the natural tendency of men to have more than one sex partner over a lifetime.

The whole idea of "romantic love" is the real problem--and it stems from the idea that a man's primary emotional attachments should be to a woman rather than to other men.

Yet another reason why the entire male culture needs a complete overhaul that eliminated any form of artificial dependency of men on women, socially, sexually, emotionally, or otherwise.

Only then will we be liberated and the stresses caused by "romantic love" be eliminated.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 12, 2013 12:53:42 PM

4. I always find it interesting that homophobes like this Donahue always automatically equate marriage equality to two men getting married and never ever mention two women getting married. They are so completely fixated on gay male sex they can't even consider that marriage equality includes lesbians too.

Posted by: jvc | Apr 12, 2013 12:58:45 PM

5. I didn't realize you couldn't have kids without getting married. Now I know better.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 12, 2013 1:00:21 PM

6. Of course, this doesn't mean I'm going to give in like this site's liberal bullies demand and show myself or do any sort of advocacy myself. My job is just to sit anonymously at my computer and tell you all that you're doing it wrong, while never actually doing anything myself.
    Because I don't actually believe a word that I type, I just type it because if I can't come online to anonymously scream hatred about effeminates and women and blacks I'd be forced to make my parent's dreams come true and off myself.

So shut up, you liberals. I'm a closeted man in my mid-fifties and I demand the freedom and liberty to come online, treat the internet like a burqa, and type away all my anger because there's nothing in my life to actually live for.

I'm not in any way a messed-up headcase. Clearly I'm a beacon of sanity, reason and empowerment.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 12, 2013 1:00:38 PM

7. @JVC - there's a VERY specific reason for that.

shown here:

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 12, 2013 1:04:14 PM

8. "I always find it interesting that homophobes like this Donahue always automatically equate marriage equality to two men getting married and never ever mention two women getting married. They are so completely fixated on gay male sex they can't even consider that marriage equality includes lesbians too"

Right. See point above about men being expected to be emotionally attached to women and only women......whereas women have always had the freedom to attach themselves emotionally to other women, as well as men.

Again, the solution is an overhaul of the male culture that will eliminate the idea of women being at the center of men's lives and replace it with the idea that other men should be at the center of men'a lives.

"And since marriage is not about love, then infertile heterosexual couples or those who are past the child-bearing years better just forget it."

They probably should forget it. And so should society as a whole. I personally don't think that people who are not raising children should be given all the benefits (tax-wise and otherwise) that marriage confers, which were really intended to benefit people who are taking on the expense of raising children, not people who were marrying just for the sake of "love."

Posted by: Rick | Apr 12, 2013 1:08:44 PM

9. Of course, I've never had a boyfriend, myself. I've never even had a date! So marriage is never an issue I'll be in a place to consider. And if you want to know why I hate women so much, just as Mother. She's upstairs, in her rocking chair. Where I stuffed her.

Yes, it's true. I'm just like Norman Bates, only I don't run my own business.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 12, 2013 1:11:51 PM

10. WHY CAN'T I WATCH THIS VIDEO?

Posted by: KURT QUINTON | Apr 12, 2013 1:15:48 PM

11. He is one of the most irritating living people I can think of AND his obvious feeling of the superiority of catholics is always there. He is nothing more than the mouthpiece of the diocese of NY.

Posted by: lk | Apr 12, 2013 1:18:35 PM

12. They never mention that it's not even about gay parents - it's about whether kids with gay parents are better off with those parents married or unmarried whether or not you are in favor of gay couples having kids (and I am).

Posted by: Alex | Apr 12, 2013 1:18:56 PM

13. To the Little Imposter who continues to slander my name with his disgusting posts, my mother is not stuffed in a chair upstairs. She's stuffed in a box in the basement. There's a difference.

And no I will not be providing any face verification of myself, you little brat. Verification and consistency and all those sorts of things are for effeminate liberals.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 12, 2013 1:19:09 PM

14. Dale, this old bastard is divorced, another of the hypocrites who defend marriage.

Posted by: lk | Apr 12, 2013 1:20:02 PM

15. Tell it to the pope who married a man or the catholic saint who did also.

Posted by: jleo71 | Apr 12, 2013 1:23:47 PM

16. Jack, Some Amer. Indian tribes held Wedding ceremonies for men.

Posted by: jleo71 | Apr 12, 2013 1:25:33 PM

17. LOL @ "...my mother is not stuffed in a chair upstairs. She's stuffed in a box in the basement. There's a difference."

LOL!!!!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 12, 2013 1:26:38 PM

18. First of all, Mr. Donohue, you are so repulsive I couldn't imagine even the most desperate 2:00AM troll wanting to bed you.

Second, there you go again with "natural law", which I assume you mean to imply that same-sex relations go against "natural law" or "god's law".

Mr. Donohue, look closely at nature. Same-sex activity goes on among all genus and species. You're just to blind to see or notice. And, Mr. Donohue, the most NATURAL of all things regarding "natural law" IS love.

To reduce marriage to nothing but a base, physical act (procreation) is to demean the glory and beauty of what Creation has made. Creation IS an act of love.

To remove love from the marriage equation is to remove one's humanity. Bill, I am gay because natural law, Creation, the Universe, God, if you will, made me this way. I cannot change. It is immutable.

Therefore, God gave me the capacity to love and the desire to commit that love in an enduring relationship, recognized, honoured and celebrated by the society in which I live.

So, Bill, go f*ck yourself (which is about all the sex I imagine you'll ever have).

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 12, 2013 1:29:53 PM

19. He's hugely obese. Gluttony is a mortal sin.

Do we stone for that, rape to death, beat to death, or just shoot? Those pesky rules throughout the catholic bible about how to kill people are just so hard to keep straight.

Posted by: MarkRocks | Apr 12, 2013 1:34:19 PM

20. How do I want to start a family with thee? Let me count the ways.

Posted by: Joe | Apr 12, 2013 1:35:28 PM

21. What the....? I guess his marriage is loveless and I am not surprised.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 12, 2013 1:42:04 PM

22. @ jleo71 :
    thanks....I did not ever know that and it is interesting.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 12, 2013 1:45:28 PM

23. If Hollywood were going to cast someone to play a bigoted, homophobic spokesman for a "Catholic group" they couldn't have found a bigger doofus than this Bill Donohue dork. Fat, ugly, abrasive, arrogant, obnoxious, pig-headed.....no wonder the media puts him on the air at every opportunity.

Posted by: Brendan | Apr 12, 2013 1:56:30 PM

24. "If Hollywood were going to cast someone to play a bigoted, homophobic spokesman for a "Catholic group" they couldn't have found (find) a bigger doofus than..." Mel Gibson.

Posted by: jleo71 | Apr 12, 2013 2:01:50 PM

25. I don't know where the right wingers get their spokespeople, but could they be any stupider?!?!!? this guy makes some of the other wing nuts seem smart......so, now this guy is saying marriage has noting to do with love

Posted by: Bernie | Apr 12, 2013 2:11:17 PM